2 comments

Fantasy Fiction Sad

This story contains sensitive content

This story contains mentions of death!

My tears had all been used up as I stared out the window.

They were all gone and I was left alone.

I could no longer feel the pleasant rains of my sister or hear my father’s rippling rivers.

It was quiet and there was no sign of the clouds I had so loved.

My mother’s beautifully made clouds were now replaced with the scorching sun.

I sat and watched as the people below slowly began to die from the heat and from thirst.

The water in this land was gone now that my family was too.

We were the Guardians of Water within this land we called home.

My family had been blessed many centuries ago with the ability to create and control different types of water.

My mother was the clouds.

My father was the rivers.

My older brother was the lakes.

My twin brother was the streams.

While my younger sister was the rain.

I had not been blessed like the rest of my family.

We never knew why but I accepted the fact I was the only normal one within my family long ago.

I had no need for such powers nor did I want them.

I was given the gift of immortality so that I would live alongside my family.

We were not like that of gods who could not die.

We would not age but we could still die from fatal wounds.

Illness and diseases would not kill us but if one sought out our deaths they could end us.

We had lived for five thousand years since the blessings and had planned for thousands more.

Our plans would not be reality as the king of our land was a fearful man.

He feared the power my family possessed and turned the people against us.

He told them lies and framed us countless times so the people could only believe what they were told.

They could not see their king’s lies and turned against us all.

They had stormed our home only a month ago and fought against us.

My father had tried to reason with them but they could not see reason.

They had killed my younger sister first and the rains had stopped as soon as she hit the floor dead.

Next was my mother and the clouds vanished as she took a last shuddering breath.

My twin brother fell next and with him the streams dried up.

My father was killed next and all the rivers disappeared.

The last to be killed was my older brother.

As soon as he was gone, so were the lakes.

I was the only one left surrounded by my dead family as tears streamed down my face.

I was kept alive as I didn’t have the same strange powers as my family.

They had left me alone with the dead bodies of my beloved family.

I had wept for hours before I pulled myself together and buried them where my mother’s garden laid.

For a month there has been no rain.

For a month all the rivers, streams, and lakes had been dried up.

It seemed as though they had no idea as to why but I did.

They had killed the ones who brought them all of those things.

The reason we had been blessed in the first place was because this land was a barren and dry place with no water of its own.

We had been tasked with making it flourish for the newly crowned king.

We had been the ones to make this place beautiful and lush but now without my family it would go back to what it once was.

They were all doomed to die in this land they had once loved.

I turned away from the window as I saw a family burning their young child.

I could not forgive them for what they had done.

I couldn’t!

I looked back only to see the mother weeping as the man held her.

Not everyone had turned against and all the children were innocent of their parent’s crimes so they did not deserve such suffering.

I sighed sadly as I continued to watch the people below me.

I wished I could help them but I held no powers of my own nor did I particularly want to help those who had killed my family.

I glared as the king caught my eyes.

He had done this to himself!

He deserved this!

Not the innocent children who now died for his crimes and foolishness.

My blood began to boil with rage as I watched him.

I stormed out of my home and marched down to where he stood talking to the people.

I pulled up my hood and made my way through the crowd until I stood in front.

I pulled down my hood and glared at the king.

“You brought this upon yourself!” I hissed at the man before me.

The king scoffed at me and asked, “Now how did I do that?”

“You killed the Blessed Ones, my family.”

The king froze before looking at me with a barely hidden rage.

“They were curses to this land! They were not blessed. They were a danger to us and our way of life.”

I laughed at him before I said, “We are the ones who brought about the rivers, lakes, and streams to this land five thousand years ago. Without us this land would be nothing more than a desert! We brought the rains and the waters that brought this land to life.”

The king looked shocked and went to say something but I cut him off.

“You killed them and in doing so you have destroyed this land's connection to the waters of this world! You have doomed them all to death.”

I could hear the people whispering.

Tears of anger and pain filled my eyes as I shouted.

“You took away my family and now I have nothing. You have doomed the land I adore and killed those I loved. You have sentenced your people to death. What have you done…?”

The full reality of what was happening finally hit me and I fell to my knees.

Everything my family had built and cherished would die.

It would all vanish and there would be nothing of them left.

Tears streamed down my face and a sob escaped my throat.

This land couldn’t die.

It couldn’t!

Without it the only proof my family had lived would be gone and I would have nothing left of them.

“No,no,no..NO!”

I slammed my hands on the ground in frustration.

“Please..n-no…I..I can’t..,” I said in fear.

Gasps sounded around me and I felt drops of water hit my skin.

I slowly sat up and looked up to see clouds covering the sky.

My eyes widened as I felt rain begin to fall harder.

“W-what..?”

Oh you poor child…

I froze at the sound of that voice.

I had heard that voice before….five thousand years ago.

You have lost your family which saddens me greatly but you need not worry about losing this land. They gave you their powers before they passed completely as they knew you would do what was needed for this land.

I felt my tears stop and heard people crying in happiness.

The king stood before me in shocked silence.

I stood up on shaky legs and smiled slightly at him.

“I will keep this land beautiful for them and these people but you will not benefit from the water I bring. No it will burn you and cause you harm. You will soon die and a new king will rise. You shall not be the ruler of this land much longer you coward!”

I turned away from the man as he screamed in pain as the rain burned him.

The crowd parted for me in awed silence as I walked back towards my home.

As I made my way to the house my father had built all those years ago I vowed I would protect this land and help it grow because my family had loved it dearly.

They would be my reason to live.

January 18, 2024 17:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Rutherford
08:51 Jan 25, 2024

Interesting fantasy. You write in a fast fiction style.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hope Linter
00:45 Jan 24, 2024

Lovely and haunting

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.