Train of Events

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Set your story during the hottest day of the year.... view prompt

1 comment

African American Fiction Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The heat in New York City was a beast that summer. The air, thick and heavy, clung to the city like a weighted blanket in winter; turning the concrete jungle into an urban oven. This must have been the day that Mother Nature’s menopause began because the thermometer flirted with triple digits, the kind of day that makes asphalt ripple and tempers flare from aggravation.

Accara, a sixteen-year-old girl with smooth brown skin, and flaming red, waist-length braids adorned with colorful beads and cowries, boarded the four train. She was headed home to Brooklyn with her brand new puppy, a Pocket Pitbull she named Panda. Panda's fur was a striking black and white pattern, reminiscent of his namesake. Accara had saved up for months to get Panda, and she was eager to introduce him to her family.

The train was a metal sardine can on rails, packed with sweaty, irritable passengers, each silently cursing the oppressive heat. Accara found a seat near the conductor’s booth, trying to keep Panda calm amidst the commotion. Her belly, blooming with a life growing inside her at a pace that matched the city’s relentless heat.

Halfway through the journey, the train shuddered to a sudden halt. The conductor’s muffled voice crackled over the intercom, “Ladies and gentlemen it seems that we have some train traffic ahead of us…, the lights flickered, once, twice, and then an eerie, stifling darkness enveloped the car. The oppressive heat seemed to double in intensity as the hum of the AC, already a feeble joke, cut out. Murmurs of concern and frustration rippled through the passengers. Cell phones failed to light up; there was no signal. The air thick with the collective breath of strangers, suddenly became a suffocating tomb. The city's power grid had failed, plunging everything into chaos.

Accara felt a sharp, unfamiliar pain. It was as if the city’s chaos had found a physical manifestation inside her. After a few minutes, she felt a warm sensation running down her legs; her water had broken. Her mind began to race, the baby was coming. She knew her due date was coming up soon, and she was prepared; but she never expected it would happen on the train, let alone during a blackout. And now, because she’d been so adamant about going to get Panda that day, she was alone, trapped in a metal coffin beneath the city. 

“Help! Somebody, please help, my water just broke!" Accara's voice trembled with fear. 

Panic like a wildfire, ignited and spread through the car, as the realization that 911 was out hit everyone like a ton of bricks. Nearby, other passengers, at first paralyzed by fear, noticed Accara’s distress. 

"Honey, are you okay?" Miss Rosa asked, her voice a soothing balm.

"I'm... I'm in labor," Accara managed to whisper, tears pricking her eyes.

Miss Rosa's eyes widened, and she immediately took charge. "Everyone, listen up! This young lady is about to have a baby. We need to help her."

Miss Rosa, a woman in her late sixties with skin like polished mahogany, kind, wise eyes, and a crown of silver curls, stepped forward to introduce herself. "Calm down, mija. I’m a retired nurse, I'll help you." Her voice was soothing, but the urgency in her movements betrayed her concern.

Right behind her, a young boy scout named Jalen, a 14-year-old with big eyes and a caramel complexion looked determined. "I've got my first aid kit, ma'am. What do you need?"

Tamika, a mother of three, with her children huddled close to her, quickly assessed the situation. "Miss Rosa, I can help too. I’ve been through three of these myself," she said, her tone resolute. Tamika's dark brown skin glistened with sweat, but her eyes were steady and calm. 

Miss Rosa directed Jalen to sterilize the area with the supplies from his first aid kit. Tamika took Panda and secured him with her 10-year-old son, then helped Accara lie down on a seat, her hands trembling slightly but her voice strong and encouraging. The passengers rallied, transforming the train car into a makeshift delivery room, and the three of them, a makeshift medical team.

"You’re doing great, sweetheart. Just breathe," Tamika coached, her children watching with wide eyes, learning a lesson in courage and compassion.

The oppressive heat, the lack of communication with the outside world, and the cramped space added to the tension. Yet, despite the chaos, there was a remarkable sense of unity and purpose among the passengers.

As the contractions grew closer together, Accara’s cries filled the carriage. The train was an oven, but the small community within it worked tirelessly. Sweat poured down their faces, and their clothes stuck to their bodies, but they didn’t waver. Tamika talked to her as a distraction from the pain, her voice steady and calm. "You got this, sweetheart, breathe.” Miss. Rosa, her years of experience guiding her steady hands, looked up at Accara, "Now push, mija, you’re almost there, I can see the baby’s head."

Accara, sweat streaming down her face, cried out in pain but kept pushing, her mind focused on the tiny life about to enter the world. Panda squirmed in the little boy’s arms and whimpered, sensing her distress.

With the remaining passengers looking on, Accara found a strength born of fear and desperation. “Push, mija, Push”, Miss Rosa instructed Accara, and with one final push, her baby was delivered. The cries of new life, a light in the darkness, pierced the air, as Miss Rosa held the newborn, wrapped him in a brand-new sheet donated by another passenger and handed him to Accara. The minutes stretched into what felt like hours……..

Meanwhile, Bilal, a lean man with broad shoulders, ebony skin, and eyes that held the weight of too many sleepless nights, wiped the sweat from his brow as the 4 train rolled into the station. A blast of hot, stagnant heat from the tunnels mixed with the stench of urine offered no relief. The train car was already packed with a diverse array of New Yorkers going about their lives.

Freshly released from prison, he was determined to start anew, but the world outside seemed just as unforgiving as the one behind bars. He glanced at his watch as he boarded the train, he couldn’t be late, not today. He found a seat next to an older African American woman, her silver-streaked hair pulled into a tight bun, her cat-eye glasses reminiscent of the ones his grandmother wore in the 60s. Across the aisle, a young Asian mother cradled her daughter, trying to soothe her with a lullaby. A teenage boy with a skateboard and earbuds took up space near the doors, next to a mother with her young daughter, the little girl’s eyes wide with curiosity.

He’d been out for a month, a caged bird released into a world he barely recognized. Today was his scheduled check-in with his parole officer, a heavy caucasian woman named Ms. Jackson, whose wrinkled face and curly silver hair were both a reflection of her experience. 

As the train rumbled on, Bilal felt the temperature rise inside the car. The air conditioning struggled against the oppressive heat. He was one stop away from Borough Hall station, as passengers were shifting around preparing for the next stop, when midway through the tunnel the 4 train, usually a noisy, jostling beast, came to a screeching halt. The lights flickered, once, twice, and then everything plunged into darkness. Almost in unison, the passengers let out a collective gasp. As the minutes ticked away, the crammed car became a claustrophobic, suffocating sauna with wheels. 

Panic set in quickly. Bilal's heart raced as he realized his cell phone had no signal. The usual lifeline to the outside world was cut off, and the oppressive silence of the tunnel was broken only by murmurs of confusion and fear.

“We’re stuck!” someone shouted, their voice rising in panic.

“No cell service either,” another voice added, frustration tinged with fear.

A heavyset man with a booming voice began to argue with a wiry woman over the limited space, their voices escalating into a full-blown shouting match. Bilal’s mind raced back to the prison fights, the sense of entrapment closing in on him. He took a deep breath, forcing himself to stay calm.

"Everyone, let's just stay calm," Bilal said, his voice steady but firm. "We're all in this together. We need to keep it cool."

His attempt at de-escalation fell on deaf ears. The argument escalated, the man shoving the woman into the mother and her daughter. The little girl, no older than six, began to cry, her fear piercing the thick air.

Instinctively, Bilal moved to protect her, positioning himself between the fighters and the child. "Back off, man," he warned the aggressor, trying to keep his voice calm.

But the man, lost in his rage, swung a wild punch that caught Bilal in the temple. The impact sent a sharp pain through his head, triggering memories of past beatings, of nights spent cowering from blows. Survival mode kicked in.

Bilal’s vision blurred, but his reflexes were sharp. He grabbed the man, their struggle a chaotic dance in the dark. Every muscle in Bilal’s body, honed by years of hard labor and survival, reacted with precision. He threw punch after punch, each one a release of years of pent-up fear and anger. The man's face became a blur of blood and bruises.

Screams filled the carriage, but Bilal was lost in the red haze of his past, unable to stop. It wasn’t until he heard the little girl’s sobs that he snapped back to reality. He looked down at the man, now a broken figure on the floor, barely conscious. Horror washed over him.

The train’s emergency lights flickered on, casting a dim, eerie glow over the scene. The elderly woman with the rosary was praying fervently, her lips moving in silent supplication. The mother held her daughter close, shielding her eyes from the violence.

"I'm sorry," Bilal muttered, backing away from the man. "I'm so sorry."

As if on cue, the train jolted back to life and started moving again. Relief mingled with the lingering fear in the carriage. When they reached the next station, paramedics and police officers were already waiting, having been alerted by the train conductor who’d witnessed both the birth and the fight.

Accara, Panda and her son were rushed to Kings County Hospital, where they were met by her mother who took Panda home.

Bilal was immediately taken into custody, his chances of freedom slipping away as quickly as they had come. The paramedics tended to the man, as the police questioned everyone. 

News reports that evening said that a power grid overload had occurred upstate, knocking out power lines as far as Coney Island. The city would recover from the heat, the power outage, and the chaos, but Accara, her child, Bilal, and all of the passengers on that 4 train, would carry the scars, and the resilience, of that day forever. They were survivors of a perfect storm, a testament to the human spirit in the face of the most extreme circumstances. And as the first rays of dawn painted the city skyline, a life ended, and a new life began, a fragile blossom in the heart of a city that had just endured its hottest day.

August 03, 2024 21:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

21:55 Aug 14, 2024

This piece effectively captures the intensity of a sweltering day in New York City and the unexpected events that unfold on the 4 train. Here’s some feedback: Strengths: Vivid Descriptions: The author does an excellent job of painting the scene. The heat, the crowded train, and the oppressive atmosphere are all vividly described, making the reader feel the discomfort and tension. Character Development: The characters are well-defined, each with their own distinct background and personality. Accara, Miss Rosa, and Bilal stand out, making th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.