0 comments

Contemporary Western Drama


The news displayed images of a deadly convict who escaped prison the night before. Anna threw clothes into her bag, one eye on the TV. Her phone buzzed and she ignored it, guilt gnawing at her soul. She had never felt so stupid in her 5 years career.


In a jiffy, her bags were ready.


"I'm so sorry I'm late." Anna Stevens said over the phone, running out of her condo in her dove-gray slender gown, her black hair flapping in the air behind. "I'm on my way. Give me thirty minutes."


Her face was white as she descended the elevator. She counted the numbers of floors. 14. 13. 12. 11.


"Anna, you're so funny. How could you have overslept?" She grunted aloud as she stared at her $100 silver wristwatch with one-carat diamonds at each side of the watch head.


She was already furious with herself when a fellow neighbour greeted her. She paid no attention as she hurried to the underground garage where her Saab Convertible was carefully parked.


Anna slided into the seat like a natural, muttered a few words of prayer before hitting the streets.


Her mind became a clock. Time was fast becoming an asset she couldn't afford. She had to get to the airport to meet her team before an hour struck.


Her eyes flew to the rearview mirror. Hardly was any car behind her that Sunday morning. Neither police vehicles which could spoil her day. Not that she was guilty of anything. She needed speed and since cars were few, she decided to hone her advantage.


She pressed her pedals while ignoring the several calls coming in. She had been driving when she heard a loud siren coming behind her.


"Oh my God!" Anna threw her head up in near resignation as she pulled over.


Anna squinted her eyes through the dark tinted glasses of her Saab convertible, her arms crossed stiffly against her chest as she glared at the handsome police officer who came from the police vehicle.


"Where are you rushing to? You know you crossed the speed limit?" He tapped her window with urgency, causing her to grudgingly whine down the glass.


She sighed, being a good girl at heart, she forced a smile. "I am in a hurry, I really didn't mean to over speed but I have a flight to catch in the next one hour and the airport is 30 minutes away."


The police officer, in his brown uniform walked around to the sidewalk where he could stare daggers at her. His eyes slowly ravished the beauty locked behind the car seat. "You would be?" He brought out a note pad and a pen.


"I'm really sorry but can I go now? It's a business flight I have to catch to Puerto Rico."


"Your name, young lady?"


She grimaced sharply, her eyes flickering to the time on the dashboard. "Anna. Please, this is my first time doing this." She groaned inwardly. She had been obedient enough to even listen to the police and now, he was keeping her. She couldn't afford to lose her business contract to this and the dumb police officer couldn't see that and kept asking her irrelevant questions.


"You said you're heading where? To the airport? For what again?"


"To the airport! I'm traveling."


"To do what?" He ran his eyes down her body. "With your boyfriend? You do look a little bit suspicious I think."


"What?" Her full mouth parted and she hit the steering wheel aggressively. "I'm on a first class flight. Do you really want me to miss it? Do you know how many dollars that costs?"


"Indulge me. I think you have about 45 minutes before your flight takes off."


Anna rolled her eyes and bit her lower lips. She decided to calm down and explain what she was doing and where she was going. " I am Anna Stevens, the director of Silver Galleries. I and my team are to meet at the airport at 11:00 because our flight takes off by 12:00. The plane usually leaves the hanger before that time so I could miss my flight."


"Are you serious?"


Relieved, she nodded. "I am, so thank you."


"You're Anna Stevens. I need an autograph right away for my boss!"


"Maybe some other time."


"Hmm..no no." He handed her his notepad and she grudgingly smiled and signed on it.


Her car bolted into action and the tires revved. About to move out into the major road, the officer stood in front of the vehicle. "Not like that ma'am. You have to make a statement at the police station."


"Are you kidding me or what?" She eyed the officer skeptically.


"Yes ma'am. You have to follow me. It's how we work so you have to make sure you never speed that way again."


Her eyes flew to the time. "But, I already told you why I did that. I explained I'm late to the airport and I even gave you a damn autograph. You still want me to make a statement." She had never met such a police officer before. "If it's money you want..."


"No ma'am. I follow the rules. Those are personal dealings with you but the real fact is you have to come with me. Don't worry, it won't take your time. Just 30 minutes."


She fought between driving ahead or listening to the police. A million dollar worth of contract or listening to the police man who was right but blind to see what she was saying.


Her cell phone rang and it was a team leader she appointed. She picked it up and spoke. "I'm in a tight situation right now. I hope to meet you but if I don't, don't wait for me."


The police officer took it as a cue to butt in. "So police station ma'am? We won't take your time. Please come out of your vehicle."


Anna stepped out of her car, seething with anger. "You just stole my time."


"My sincere apologies. Make sure to lock your vehicle. The police station is only few minutes away."


Anna was tempted to use her manicured fingers to pluck out his eyes but obediently followed him. The police car stunk. There was no air-conditioner so the air was stale.


The police officer grinned as he sat behind the wheel. "By the way, I'm Roy Gavin."


She reclined in her seat, making calls. Her frustration hit the bottom when she realized he had been driving for over 15 minutes.


"Why haven't we gotten to the police station yet? I rescheduled my flight for 1:00pm."


"I told you it's a few minutes away."


"You're going the opposite direction to the airport!" She grunted in dismay. "No one needed to know that I oversped. Why can't you understand?"


"Dictating to a police officer. You're not above the law ma'am." He spoke in a grim voice that forced her to keep her cool.


Anna sighed when they got to the police station. The place was crowded with police officers running about to solve various cases. She even saw a batch of them leave to solve a crime. Most likely the one she saw on TV. They took time before attending to her and she had to storm her way through.


"Excuse me officer. I've been waiting over 30 minutes to make a statement." She asked bitterly, glaring at the officer who brought her.


It was past 12:00pm and her team mates had called her before their plane took off. She grunted in despair.


"I'm sorry ma'am. My boss said there's no need for the statement since they're busy solving a more urgent crime."


She balled her fingers to fists at her side. "So kindly take me back to my car." She spoke through clenched teeth.


The police officer simply said. "You're lucky ma'am. The protocol is usually different."


"Yeah right. Just take me back to my car."


Anna was pissed through the ride back to her car. The police officer kept blabbing rubbish about how tasking his job was.


She was glad when she got to her car. She ignored his low bow and his eyes that scanned her over. She felt stupid for following him in the first place.


She drove to the airport, with less speed but with efficiency. She waited a while before she boarded her flight.


The plane to Puerto Rico rose into the skies at exactly 1:02pm










January 09, 2021 15:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.