1 comment

Historical Fiction Romance

Miss Georgina Grace Gage stepped into the ball room beside her brother William, the eighth Viscount Hood and took a moment to breath in the start of the Season. Parliament had opened and the whole of the ton seemed to be pressed into this one stately home. This was promising to already be a delightful and entertaining event. She and her brother made their way into the corner she most preferred as she looked at the new crop of wallflowers who were arranged along the edges of the room.

"Oh dear," she thought out loud. "More than usual I see."

"Hmm?" her brother inquired absent mindedly and looked her way.

"The wall is positively blooming this year," she replied.

He looked around. "Oh yes. I see what you mean."

Then he hesitated. "Georgie. Do not do anything ridiculous this evening. I absolutely forbid you from causing any scenes this season. We do not want a repeat of the Henderson Ball last year."

"You know that does not work on me Willy dear."

" I mean it Georgy." He grunted between clenched teeth as he outwardly pretended to not be having this conversation with his sister waving at acquaintances as they walked by. "No scandals, no hysterics, and absolutely no penniless poets hanging about my drawing room."

"You must admit that Lord Chelsea turned out to be a rather good catch for Miss Thompson. Even if no one initially recognized his worth."

"Because he had no worth," William said in exasperation. "If the Earl of Lauderdale had not stuck his spoon in the wall and then his brother up and dies of consumption two days later, that poet would still be hanging out in my breakfast room eating all of my kippers."

"Yes, but who could have predicted that poets could subside on so many fish? Byron had a panache for potatoes as I recall."

"Georgina!" her brother snapped.

"Oh, not now Willy. I see cousin Timothy coming our way."

William scowled and looked to greet their cousin of whom they both were very fond.

"Hood, Georgie." Timothy said by way of a greeting as he walked up to them both.

Timothy laughed. "I see she has already got your gander up old chap."

"No, no," said Georgina dismissively. "Not at all. He is just being provident. Anticipating what may come. You know, telling me what to do."

"Oh, my dear Willy." Timothy wagged his head in discouragement. "That has never worked. What are you thinking?"

"That I have an obstinate sister, obviously."

"Come Timothy," Georgina said dismissing her brother. "It's a waltz. Take me around dance floor."

"Why do I suspect it is not dancing that you desire dearest cousin?" Timothy asked as they took their places.

"Because you are the smartest person I know." She concluded with a smile as the music began to play.

"No needs for cream my dear, you know I am butter in your hands. What do you need of me?" Timothy asked.

"Nothing so terrible. Just a bit of gossip. Is it true that old Baron Dunst is about to announce his betrothal to Miss Cressida?" she inquired.

"So, the books say at Whites. Why do you ask?"

"Well, no reason really. Except that she has not even had a season yet. She just made her curtsy to the Queen. No one knows that she is in the offering.''

Timothy laughed. "That is the point my girl. Her father sees no need for buying a bunch of expensive dresses for a season if he can get her married off in the first few weeks. And you know how Lord James loves to pinch a penny."

"Surely not." Georgina cried in disgust.

Timothy laughed even louder now, and people were starting to stare.

"My dearest sweet cousin. You cannot convince me that you are so innocent nor naive. "

Georgian sighed. "No, I guess not. I was just hoping that there might be some other explanation. Now I must needs put myself out to correct this travesty. And you know not two minutes ago my brother was admonishing me for my dreadful ways."

"Oh dear." Timothy exclaimed under his breath.

"Just so." Georgina nodded in solidarity. "I don't know how you all are able to put up with my machinations."

"It is something which we often lament." He spoke.

"Well, do me a favor and go dance with the young lady in question when we are done. It looks like she is being guarded by the old sot. Surely not every man in the room knows she is already spoken for?"

"Likely they do. I heard Dunst crowing about his taking a young wife at the clubs this past week. Much to the chagrin of his son."

"Disgusting." She commented, and then, "Wait. His son? Is he here tonight?"

"Young Dunst? Likely."

Georgina laughed. Young Dunst was named so because he was his father's son. Not because he was in fact all that youthful. Young Dunst was easily in his mid-forties, but quite a solid gentleman, unlike his father. He was handsome. Frankly many women had cast their eyes in that direction but, as yet the gentleman had not been landed. The salt and pepper in his hair lent him a rakish visage. He had a good head on his shoulders and by all accounts was an up-and-coming political personage. Far more likely to move the young heart of a lady of Cressida's character than his father. But still, she needed to ascertain the young lady's thoughts. It could be likely that Cressida was overwhelmed and happy with the current arrangement. After all, her fiancé was likely not too much longer for this world. Perhaps everything was just as she wanted it.

Georgina looked over at the woman in questions and read the abject misery in her eyes.

Or not.

"Have you heard of the arrangements?" she asked her dancing companion.

"I don't know what you are referring to."

"Oh, stop it. Tell me."

Timothy sighed resignedly. "She keeps her dowery when he passes."

"That's it? She gets nothing else?" she thought this over a moment. "Is it a big dowery?"

Timothy practically rolled his eyes. "What do you think? She is Lord James' daughter."

"So, Dunst only use for her is to warm his bed? No children are expected?" Georgina inquired.

"Nor desired. He has a surplus of sons." Timothy chuckled as the music started to die down.

"You know I cannot let this stand. I'm so sorry that I am such a trial to you all. I truly am." she concluded on the walk back to her brother.

"If you were made any other way, we would not love you half as much." he said.

"Don't fill her head with lies," William complained as they approached him. He looked at his sibling. "What are you up to sister?"

"Oh. Nothing you need worry about. Though Timothy, didn't you say you had another dance after ours."

"Um, yes," he said as he cleared his throat. "I'm off to collect the lady."

"Have a wonderful time." Georgina said as he walked away. "And bring her by once you have finished. I feel in need for a promenade"

Timothy looked over his shoulder at her while continuing to walk away.

"You are up to something," muttered William under his breath.

"Brother, have you not danced yet?" she inquired.

"We have been here for one dance. You know I have not. Don't think to foist me off. I am taking my chaperone duties very seriously this evening."

"Um well," she replied. "Then perhaps you can introduce me to that wonderful gentleman over there. Young Dunst I believe?"

William turned to his sister and contemplated her for a long moment. "He is a solid and worthy fellow. If only I thought you were being honest in your attentions. But I am certain that this is not for your own interests that you request an introduction."

"Can a lady not just meet a nice gentleman without being harangued? Afterall it is the purpose of these fetes. Bringing together the best families so we can all inter breed and make more of the ton."

"Stop being so indelicate or I will not introduce you." Timothy whispered as he waved over the Honorable Percival Dunst, who obliged them by walking toward them to speak with William.

"Hood. It is a pleasure to see you this evening. That was quite the speech you gave this week. I'm considering its implications on the workers. Can't wait for the Hansad Report to make it to the Commons. you should become quite popular soon." The gentleman noted.

"Yes, well, we need to make some reforms in the is country, don't we?" Timothy began. "Dunst, may I introduce you to my sister, Lady Georgina?"

"My Lady. It is my pleasure." Mr. Dunst bowed over Lady Georgina's hand.

"Mr. Dunst. I have heard so many wonderful things about you. William is a great admirer of yours," she said.

"Well, the Viscount has always had excellent taste." he replied as they all chuckled.

"Are you not dancing this evening?" Georgina inquired while she looked around the room.

" I would if someone as delightful as yourself was available? he asked questioningly.

"It would be my pleasure. Are you available for the second waltz?" she asked coyly as she looked at her very empty dance card.

"Yes, I shall look forward to it."

"Perfect then. Oh. I see the quadrille is almost over. I was going to promenade with a dear friend. If you gentleman will excuse me." Georgian gave a quick curtsy and stepped back towards the dancers to moved closer to where Timothy and Cressida were just completing the steps of the dance.

Timothy took Cressida's hand and her pulled off the dance floor where Georgina went to meet them.

"Cousin, please introduce me to your lovely companion," she begged as she met up with them.

"Of course, cousin. Miss Cressida, may I present to you my cousin and dear friend Lady Georgina?"

"It's a pleasure." Cressida said with a little curtsy bob. As she stood up Georgina noted the look of concern she sent to where her parents and Baron Dunst were standing. It was obvious that she was a little nervous.

"My dear. You are such a lovely addition to this season. I am hoping we can become fast friends. Would you care to promenade about the room with me?"

Again, Cressida looked over with some hesitancy to where her family was. It was obvious she was uncertain as to what to do.

"Oh, dear me, I had forgotten that this was your first ball. You looked so at home on the dance floor. Well, I can assure you that I will return you back to your mother once we have had a turnabout the room. Nothing can be more respectable than a mature maiden such as myself taking you about."

At that Cressida smiled up at her. "Surely, not that mature of a maiden?"

"My dear," Georgina laughed conspiratorially. "Timothy will agree, my family is completely in despair of ever finding me a husband. I am six and twenty after all. Completely on the shelf and regarded by one and sundry as an old maid. Therefore, I am the perfect person to escort you about the room for a delightful coze."

At this Cressida laughed and linked arms with her new companion. "It sounds charming my Lady. Shall we?"

Georgina walked them towards the refreshment table and started her attack. "I hear congratulations are shortly to be in order."

Her companion hesitated a moment and then nodded. "Yes. I am told I am to be married soon." The girl's voice was softer than a moment ago when they had been laughing.

At the table Georgina looked over the selection of items on display and continued to speak. "Do I detect some hesitancy in the matter?" She kept her eyes on the table so as not to seem too intense on the subject at hand.

"I.." Cressida faltered.

Taking a petit four and placing it on a small plate, Georgina gave her the space to gather her thoughts for a moment. "These pastries look so wonderful. Will you have one?" She asked as she turned to the young lady.

"Oh, my dear. You look so distressed. I am so sorry. Did I misspeak?"

A tear was slowly making a path down the woman's cheek. Quickly Georgina turned Cressida's back to the crowd and looked at her.

"Should we retire to the privy chamber? Would you like a moment to refreshen yourself?" She whispered.

Cressida just nodded and her more capable companion whisked her away to a retiring room.

Once behind closed doors and assured that they were alone, Georgina sat the young woman down on a settee.

"Now how can I make up for my terrible blunder?" she asked.

"It's not you. My father says I am just suffering under a profuse number of emotions. It should go away, I am told."

"Has this to do with your pending nuptials? It can be a very exciting time for a young lady I am told."

"Yes. Though not as exciting as terrifying I am afraid." The younger woman admitted.

"Well, as to that I cannot speak on the married state. But at least you must be happy with your choice of life companion?" Georgina inquired.

Cressida just looked up at her in despair.

"Or not?" Georgina finished.

"No," said Cressida. "I was led to believe it was Mr. Dunst I was to marry. I have held him in much esteem these last few weeks. His oratory is often spoken of in the newspapers. It is always such a delight to read about his attempts in Parliament."

"But did you not receive a visit from your intended before the agreement? Did he not ask you for your hand?" Georgina asked perplexedly.

"No." cried the woman in anguish as she torn a small kerchief she had been handed into pieces. "Father took care of everything."

"Oh. I see," snarled Georgina. "Well, my dear. Do not despair. I suspect everything will come out just as it should."

At that moment Lady James walked through the door looking for her daughter.

"Cressida? Are you well? Baron Dunst is looking for you. What are you doing here."

Georgina stood up and looked the woman in the face. "She seems to have gotten overheated on the dance floor. I took her for refreshments, but it was better to allow her a moment of peace. I hope I have not overstepped?"

Lady James frowned and looked the situation over. "No of course Lady Georgina. So, kind of you. I can take over now if you do not mind. My daughter is just overly excited."

"Yes, certainly. It was my pleasure." She looked down at Cressida. "I am so delighted we have become friends my dearest. Please feel free to come to Chester House for tea soon. I know you are going to be a wonderful addition to London society."

"But Lady Georgina, Baron Dunst resides in the country. I doubt that Cressida will spend much time in London after they are married." Lady James responded with a titter.

"Hmm. Does he now?" She said as she left the mother and daughter alone and returned to the ball room.

The second waltz was just starting to form as Mr. Dunst hurried over to claim his dance.

"Lady Georgina. I believe this is our dance."

"Mr. Dunst! So wonderful you remembered. Yes. I am looking forward to it." She replied.

As they settled into the forms, Georgina struck up a topic of much concern to her.

"I was so sorry to hear that Miss Cressida has been lamenting not having caught your attention before."

Percival paused for a moment. "I do not follow my Lady," he said.

"Well, she has harbored such a crush on you for some time. When her father approached her with marriage to Dunst, she naturally assumed it was you." Georgina watched as his face transformed into confusion. "As a naive young woman, she did not have any idea that your father was considering…." she let the words dangle.

"Ah." Mr. Dunst replied. "I must too admit that I have found her quite interesting. She has had some insightful conversation on politics one finds particularly mature for one of her age."

"A keen mind is always a benefit to a political minded gentleman. And so often hard to find among the young."

"Yes. I suppose so."

"Do you play chess Mr. Dunst.?"

"Avidly my Lady."

"The pawn can only be taken en passant in the opening sally. Once the moment is lost. Well, it's over."

They finished the dance out in complete silence. When the music ended, Mr. Dunst bowed over Georgina's hand.

"You really are what everyone says you are, you know?"

Georgina smiled. "I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about," she said as she turned to find her brother glaring at her from the corner.

Half an hour later the host and hostess rang a small bell to get everyone's attention as they stood on the steps leading to the balcony overhead.

"Honorable assemblage. We have been asked to allow a moment for an announcement which we are very happy to accommodate."

Mr. Dunst and Cressida took their places next to the hosts.

"It is my great honor to announce that Miss Cressida James has agreed to be my wife and make me forever happy." Mr. Dunst announced to everyone.

A great gasp rose from the side where her family stood, and it could be seen that the Baron was getting rather red in the face.

Georgina smiled.

"I feel that it is time to go home dear brother. What say you?"

"I think I have the most meddlesome sister in all the land. That is what I say Georgie." William replied.   

June 11, 2024 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Louise Bergin
00:10 Jun 19, 2024

One of the things I truly liked about this story is how the author used dialogue to keep the story's pace moving. Sometimes historical romances can focus too much on the trappings and not the core story. Not this one! Very well done! --Louise

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.