50 comments

Drama Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

TW: violence, sexual violence, suicide.


Tyler stands at the edge of the roof and stares into the alley far below, as the cold night wind ruffles his t-shirt. And he remembers the last chat he had with Matt, and he hears the refrain to his life’s theme song crescendo in his mind: Oh how quickly things can change. His worn boots scrape another inch over the ledge. When the wind suddenly dies down, the silence brings with it a different song, a warm song, words felt and not heard.

What if?

What if he took a step back, right now? What if he turned around, went back down the stairs? What if he just left this apartment altogether?

What if he’d just go home right now?

He will catch a late night bus. Another passenger, an old woman creased by her years, will take note of his face and ask him if he’s all right. He’ll tell her yeah – the familiar lie.

Later at home he’ll talk with Amber, and he’ll tell her everything. Everything he’s able to. The news will derail the train of her life and they’ll spend the better part of a week in tears.

But they’ll heal, together. They’ll grow closer than either ever thought possible. Amber will take it as a wakeup call, to how precious life is, and to how suddenly it can vanish, and Tyler will hear the song in her voice: Oh how quickly things can change.

They’ll make love. Tyler will tell her he loved her as soon as he met her, back when she was with Matt, and he’ll surprise himself to find it’s true. Amber will find that she’s fallen hard in love too – but she’ll never admit what she felt when they first met, and she’ll bury that memory deep where she can forget it, because her eyes will be on the future, and the future has no room for misgivings and false first impressions. After all, Matt trusted Tyler, and that’ll be good enough for her.

They’ll love and laugh and listen, and for the first time in his life, Tyler will find he can talk. He’ll open up hard enough to break, but Amber’s hand will be gentle. He’ll talk about growing up wanting – food, money, opportunity, a father. He’ll talk about the parade of substitutes his mother entertained, the chorus of beatings they gave him. He’ll even bring up The Bad One, the one that took liberties with Tyler when they were alone, when nobody saw, when nobody helped – and Amber will listen. Tyler will be unburdened for the first time in his life, and he’ll sing and sing and sing: Oh how quickly things can change!

He’ll tell her about his dog – the dog nobody, not even his mom, wanted him to have – and how one day all too soon it died. He’ll omit the details of the death, because it won’t be about the details. It’ll be about having a dog, and then not having one. And together, they’ll sing a new song, a song of loss and of finding.

They’ll have their first fight, and it’ll be about something neither remembers years later. Tyler will feel angry, but not like he’s been angry before. Not anger from a sense of betrayal or injustice or disrespect. Anger because he cares. Good, clean, honest anger. Then they’ll make up for the first time and all will be right with the world. And he’ll hear the chorus again: Oh how quickly things can change!

First, Amber will become pregnant. Then, Tyler will surprise himself once more when he proposes. She’ll say yes and they’ll set a date. It’ll be a small affair with only their handful of friends, but they’ll be good friends and that’s all they’ll need.

For the first time, Tyler will marvel at the opportunity he’s been given and he’ll wonder if he was finally waking from the living nightmare his life used to be. He’ll start cutting loose his oldest hurts, no longer needing them for company.

Amber will give birth to a son, Mason. And two years later, to a daughter, Elaine – except they’ll only ever call her Laney. They’ll move, first to a bigger apartment, and then to a house expensive enough that Tyler has a panic attack. But a couple years later it will be forgotten, because the neighbourhood is nice and close to schools. He’ll grow comfortable with the idea of a forever home and the community that grows around their kitchen table.

One day Amber will ask Tyler if he remembers Matt, and Tyler will hug her. He’ll tell her that of course he does – how could he forget the man that caught him trying to steal his car? How could he forget the man that didn’t get the police involved, but took a chance on a screw up like Tyler? A man that pulled him out of a terrible life and set him straight? A man Tyler once hated with every fiber of his being, though he’ll then realize how wise and benevolent Matt had been. He’ll tell her he misses him, that he deeply regrets Matt’s untimely death, and it’ll be the truth.

Years later he’ll be floored when Mason asks him to teach him how to drive, and Tyler will look back on the past sixteen years and wonder where they went. Oh how quickly things can change. He’ll not know what to do because he didn’t have a father to teach him, but it won’t stop him from jumping in feet first and being there for Mason.

A couple months later Mason will get his licence. A week after that, he’ll total the car, drunk on cheap beer. Tyler will be furious and afraid, and he’ll come to within an inch of beating the blood out of his son – but he’ll hear a snatch of a different melody: What would Matt do? And Tyler will go on a long walk. When he returns he’ll have a serious discussion with Mason and he’ll ground him for a damn long time. But he’ll never raise his hand to the boy.

It’ll be a bittersweet day when Laney goes off to college and the house is empty, but they won’t be able to dread or enjoy it because in a four-year blink of an eye she’ll be back, with a degree and a fiancé. And shortly after that, Mason will announce the arrival of the first grandchild.

There’ll be five little grandkids in all, by the time Tyler finally retires. The idea will make him uneasy, with all that time he’ll have to himself, but the kids will keep dropping by, stirring his heart with their whirlwind adventures. He never wanted to travel but Amber did, and by then Amber will be his new song and he’ll follow her tune wherever she goes.

They’ll see beaches, they’ll see whales. They’ll visit the Great Pyramid of Giza and Chichén Itzá. He’ll discover he likes traveling after all, while in good company. While on safari, Amber will discover a lump. Oh how quickly things can change…

The funeral will be just four months later. It’ll wreck Tyler, for a while. Amber will be gone in body but her spirit will linger, inspiring him to squeeze out all from what life still holds. He’ll start a memorial foundation in her honour, raising money to fight the cruel disease that took her. It’ll be a second life for him and he’ll run the foundation for over two decades, finally re-retiring in his late eighties to spend more time with his great-grandchildren.

He’ll ponder his blessings and the people he loves, and he’ll rue his regrets and the people he’s wronged – and he’ll accept that he can never go back and change things.

And one day he’ll feel at peace, and he’ll know his time has come. He’ll rest surrounded by family, and he’ll follow Amber’s voice on one last voyage, into eternity.

But.

But.

Tyler lingers at the edge of the roof. He knows he should leave, but he can’t. His heart is hammering, and he slides another inch forward.

He can’t help looking.

It’s just like the dog, all over again.

All he wanted to do was look at the dog, to study it, to see how it reacted. To pain. To a hammer. Just to teach it a lesson not to bark at him, not to snap at him. To teach it what happens when someone disrespects him.

And it sang such a beautiful song as he broke it. Well worth the beatings he endured, and his mother’s tears.

In the alley far below him, Tyler sees Matt’s crumpled form. Matt didn’t sing, but Tyler is sure he learned his lesson. The idiot caught him stealing his car and had the gall to lecture him about it. To disrespect him. Serves him right.

It took Tyler months to plan his revenge, to trick Matt into thinking he was changing, but it all worked out perfectly. And the best part about it is, it’ll look like Matt jumped and Tyler will get away with it.

Except, Tyler lingers. Not long but long enough. To see his prize, to witness what happens to those who disrespect him. Someone sees something, someone hears something, and a number is dialed. Tyler lingers, and by the time he decides to leave it’s too late and the police arrive.

The jury doesn’t buy his lies and he’s found guilty of murder.

Oh how quickly things can change.

May 02, 2023 21:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

Amanda Lieser
22:58 May 21, 2023

Hi Michal, This was a wonderfully thought-provoking piece. I thought that you were really leaning into the idea of nature versus nurture. How much of a chance of these characters have it being “good people”? When I was reading, I wondered if you were going to circle back to the dog because of the mystery that you created around it I was glad that you chose to, and I was intrigued with how it became a bigger symbol of this person’s spirit. The justice system is so interesting, because you truly are relying on human beings. You’re relying on ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 May 23, 2023

Those are some great points about the legal processes - it really is a very social thing, isn't it? Every step of the way, you depend on - or are foiled by - other people. For the story, we're quick to judge someone as good or bad, aren't we? And once we do, that's it. But a person is a collection of many events and choices. Could a single event really determine everything about a person? Seems unlikely, but on the other hand, Tyler did do some heinous things. I don't think there's an easy yes/no answer. I appreciate the feedback, Amanda...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
06:13 May 15, 2023

Yeah, what's programmed is programmed from birth. Some say it's karma, some destiny, some fate. Congrats.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 May 17, 2023

Thanks, Philip! Yeah, fate vs free will is an interesting question and it sure seems like where we're headed has been decided long ago. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eilon Solan
12:47 May 12, 2023

A beautiful and sad story. Very well written. Thanks!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:41 May 12, 2023

Thanks, Eilon! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:06 May 12, 2023

I'm in awe of this writing. Just absolutely wonderful stuff and exceptionally well crafted to keep the truth hidden away until the end. A++++

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:39 May 13, 2023

Thank you, Derrick! I'm glad the twist worked out :) I appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:36 May 12, 2023

This was beyond well-written! I was so touched at first I thought I could cry, but then oh my goodness, the plot twist shook me to my core! Changed my mind in an instant. How horrible and yet awestriking at the same time. Phenomenal work! I loved this line in particular: "He will catch a late night bus. Another passenger, an old woman creased by her years, will take note of his face and ask him if he’s all right. He’ll tell her yeah – the familiar lie."

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:08 May 14, 2023

Thanks, Alexandra! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) The twist was fun to set up, so I'm glad it worked out. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
05:30 May 11, 2023

A true storyteller, leading the reader along. Not revealing the facts until the twist at the end. Good read.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 May 11, 2023

Thanks John! I'm glad the twist worked out :) I appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
07:24 May 09, 2023

Love how the narrator slowly reveals himself over the course of this story, and changes the perceptions of him. At first he seems someone to pity, then when he starts talking about how Amber will heal him we realize he is a troubled person and possibly it is a very unhealthy relationship, and then eventually the truth about his cruelty and selfishness is shown. But as awful as he turns out to be, his longings in life is actually just involves being loved and supported, and being able to give love and support in return, it says a lot such s...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 May 09, 2023

Thanks, Kelsey! Very glad the layering worked out here. Yeah, I suspect most people fundamentally want the same things, but some of us get stuck, maybe sabotage ourselves (and others) and wander down a dark path. And I further suspect that there's not as big a difference between those of us who go one way or the other as we might think - more a matter of these little "sliding doors" events just adding up, instead of one big event dictating things. I found this to be a thought provoking prompt. I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad it w...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
20:55 May 08, 2023

I didn't miss a word of this, Michal. Your writing is the sort that you don't hurry through - unless it's to get to the good stuff - but frankly, it's all good stuff. So you hurry through because it's so good but just enough so you don't miss anything - because it's all too good. That's the reader in me speaking. Now the writer. This is so beautifully crafted. The plan, the wonderful life spread before us with that single inevitable ingredient that makes up life - change, the one great constant. With this particular gem of a story...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:52 May 09, 2023

Definitely a tangled web :) This prompt got me thinking about the smallest of events and choices, and I think you're right, even the most mundane of them is a change. That really is a constant. I suppose it'll always be like that, unless one day the concept of change itself changes - and who knows what reality would look like then. I appreciate the feedback, Susan!

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:44 May 09, 2023

Ah, I believe I'm beginning to understand why you are such a special talent in the field of words and writing, Michal. You simply - or, perhaps, not so simply - do not think like most people. I also believe that's one of the things I enjoy most about you. Unless one day the concept of change itself changes !?! That's really good stuff, Michal. (And if you ever do get a handle on what real 'reality' looks like, try putting that one into words and I'll read it every time) :D

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 May 10, 2023

Will do :) Might be hard to fit into 3k though :) Unless Douglas Adams was right and it really is "42".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:33 May 08, 2023

Hi Michal It almost seemed wistful at first, but before long the dark side of Tyler’s reality was revealed. It was a deviation in every sense. Very powerful in that Tyler’s life could have been very different. There were chances for a better life, but to me he could not overcome things in his early life. Not that it justified his behaviour, but it explained things. The phrase “Oh, how quickly things can change” had a sinister undertone of warning which was very effective. The key theme in this is bitterness and the destruction it can cause.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:37 May 08, 2023

Thanks, Helen! I think you're right on with the bitterness. It's easy to turn to bitterness, often justifiable, and frequently understandable - but it's not particularly helpful, is it? Well, there's got to be *some* advantage to it - maybe it protects us in small measure, keeps our guard up around those who mean us harm - but it's too easy to overindulge and get swept away. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Saraya Jenkins
18:21 May 07, 2023

I liked the way you put the phrase, "Oh how quickly things can change" at the exact locations. The "What If" scenario took me on a ride through Tyler's whole life. How good it could've been. But then came the "but" which made me think that Tyler has got it coming his way. He deserved it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:18 May 08, 2023

Thanks, Clement! Sounds like you got all the things I was going for :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:42 May 07, 2023

Really tense. I sort of wish it were not spelled out in the end because I think you give enough idea that Tyler has done something to Matt and just leaving it lurking unspoken would be nice too. The imagined future is wonderful in its reality: filled with both joys and sorrows. Tyler even in dreaming doesn’t give himself perfection out of not deserving it or out of knowing that joys are defined by contrast to sorrow? Very interesting and enjoyable

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:47 May 08, 2023

Thanks, Anne! I'm actually inclined to agree with you, but I spelled it out for the sake of the prompt. I never know quite how important that is for the contest. I'm glad to hear it was otherwise clear though :) Tyler was an interesting, if not pleasant character to write. You raise a couple good points about not having perfect dreams - perhaps it's both the feeling of undeserving, and the contrast. Certainly the former, but the latter is maybe something he feels instinctually rather than ponders. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:30 May 06, 2023

Michal, this was very thrilling to read. I loved the walk through the beautiful scenario Tyler might have had. The story you presented for him felt very real, as though he were on a journey of healing. That made the reality of the ending so much harder to read, seeing his scenario completely shattered. All the little details you add throughout really helped draw me in and make me root for Tyler. I loved the repetitive phrase “Oh how quickly things can change” being used to frame each moment, it was a very nice touch! Another job well done, ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:15 May 07, 2023

Thank you, Hannah! This was a fun experiment to write, though the MC did end up being a little off-putting. But that's worth exploring in stories too, after all. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
20:46 May 06, 2023

No joke: After reading this, I had to scroll up and double-check to see who the author was, because I was FAIRLY certain I'd clicked on a Michał Przywara story, but it didn't read like one at all (and I say that in the best way, as someone who likes dark stories). And boy, this was DARK. Big fan of future tense in general, so I was hoping someone would try their hand at it for this particular prompt. It fits well for this kind of hypothetical "what if/sliding doors" narrative. I appreciate the roof ledge parts being written in present tense...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:57 May 07, 2023

Thanks, Zack! If I can still find ways to push a different voice, I'll count that as a success :) It was certainly darker, and I don't feel too well about Tyler either - the dog thing made my skin crawl, but that's what fit the character and cutting it would weaken the story. There's a thing that's long been weighing on my mind - crime and punishment (not the book, although also the book.) Why do people commit crimes, can we prevent it, punishment vs rehabilitation, where does justice fit in, where does capital punishment fit in - all that ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
18:54 May 06, 2023

The tense structure threw me off at first, but I got into it. It is interesting to think what was the 'sliding doors' moment in Tyler's life- what event, what choice changed the trajectory of his life? Was it the extra glance over the edge? I think it was much earlier in his life, when he choose to understand his own pain, in the pain of a dog. Or maybe when he choose to give into anger, the first time, and liked the feeling. This story, though in future tense, in my opinion was about the past, a past that wont let Tyler go. This is a...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:01 May 07, 2023

Thanks, Marty! I had specifically envisioned the "sliding doors" event as him waiting a little longer instead of leaving at once - a matter of perhaps mere seconds difference - but your other ideas are good too. And really, that's kind of the point of this prompt, isn't it? There isn't really just one such event in life, but rather an endless series of more or less dramatic ones which shape our path. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:14 May 05, 2023

The tense use here is interesting, a character living in a hypothetical, a very richly imagined hypothetical, which creates an ominous tone since you've place him on the edge of the wall, a knife-edge of indecision. And because you are such a good writer, you even tell the reader: "the future has no room for misgivings." I was anticipating "An Occurrence at Owl Creek" kind of a thing, so maybe that fed my sense of foreboding, but also, you dropped all the clues. His thoughts about the future are so healthy and ordinary - an exploration of wh...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:42 May 05, 2023

Thanks, Laurel! "Glad he didn't get away with it." That old trope about getting caught by returning to the scene of the crime was running through my mind, only in this case, he never even left. Sometimes we really do seem to sabotage ourselves - although in this case, that's a good thing. I'm glad there was a sense of foreboding and some suspicion - I like a twist to have a foundation to stand on and not come completely out of the blue, so it's good to hear that worked. The tense use was an interesting experiment. Partway through I star...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
09:16 May 05, 2023

Michal, I'm sure we all live life partly in the "What if" category. Some in the regret section and others in the forward sense. I like to think it forward, as regrets are toxic. I was on your MC's side until the dog story. Then, I wished him harm. You certainly stirred emotions in me with this one, so congratulations in drawing me into the story so deeply, that I got angry. Well done!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:48 May 05, 2023

Thanks Chris! Definitely, regret can be toxic. I suspect being mired in it, in vicious bitterness and anger at the world, is what contributed to Tyler's horrid actions. It's a hard line of thinking to get out of, isn't it? I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
20:26 May 04, 2023

Interesting tense choice here Michal. I'm going to have to go back and have a re-read as I like the idea of writing the piece in the hypothetical; nice way of delivering the sliding moment- clever take on the prompt. You know I love stories with strong visuals and for me the exposition was stellar and then we were off flying out in the world of possibilities to be grounded back on the roof with quite a different reality from the one expected (at least by me!) I'm teaching Bob Dylan at the moment and played the class Simple Twist of Fate, sun...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:07 May 04, 2023

"Technically interesting" - glad to hear it :) I've been looking for a home for this tense for a while. I know I've seen others use it and very well, but I can't remember where. It seems like a hard sell, but I guess there's really only one way to find out, and that's experimenting. That line also made my skin crawl, as I'm a dog person myself. The animal abuse is one thing, but I think it's exacerbated by the trust they put in us humans, and then the betrayal of that trust. But the character demanded it, so here we are. I'm not surprised...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
00:31 May 04, 2023

Michał Truer words were never spoken/written "Oh how quickly things can change." "Not anger from a sense of betrayal or injustice or disrespect. Anger because he cares." So sad to feel this boy's hardships but your choice of words covers it so well. The flow of the good times prefaced by the "what if" kind of hinted at the Tyler's life being off. Then we get the backstory of his abuse and the death of his dog. Figuring out that he has a temper. Realizing that he does not like to be disrespected. To find out in the end he lingers too lon...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:37 May 04, 2023

Thanks Lily :) You know, you're the second person who suggested that as an alternate ending. Perhaps my intuition is off on this one and I missed the boat :) If he did that, it would cut his life short, true - and that would be a contrast to the other side of the what if. Thanks for the feedback! It's given me something to ponder.

Reply

Lily Finch
02:38 May 04, 2023

I only offer it because your story might be even better than it already is with a different ending. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
16:03 May 03, 2023

Awesome tale, Michal. Simply awesome. The use of the future tense was a great choice. This is a stellar piece of writing, as per. The story flow was fantastic, the details of the "what if" life were just enough, and the actual events were, appropriately, startling. A minor suggestion - not a critique: I think the ending was fine, but IMO it would have been more powerful had the MC taken a different route: 1) He got away. On the way home, he found a dog, abandoned. He takes him home and promises to love him "as long as he behaves." 2) He ju...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:44 May 03, 2023

Thanks, Del! Yeah, I was looking for a way to use future tense, without making it gimmicky. This prompt seemed ideal. I like the theme this week. Those are some neat ideas for alternate endings! Dark, certainly, but so is the story :) What I was hoping to convey was how ultimately, Tyler sabotaged himself. He had the capacity to live a good life, and he had the opportunity to get away with murder - but he just *had* to delay, to stay and gloat over a dead man. His "sliding doors" moment was that sadistic hesitation. It might be a stretch...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:27 May 03, 2023

This is dark story. At first we have compassion for the MC, but the end kills that (pardon the pun) pretty quickly. It was a clever story, I had to read it back for the clues to see that Tyler was definitely not as he presented himself to be. I love the future tense of this story, what might be. All the myriad possibilities if a current situation played out differently. -“an old woman creased by her years”. A lovely description of age, so gentle and time worn. -“He’ll start cutting loose his oldest hurts, no longer needing them for comp...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 May 03, 2023

Thanks Michelle! I'm glad you enjoyed it, dark though it was. The future tense was something I had been meaning to do for a while, but it just seemed like such a gimmicky thing that wouldn't really fit into any story. And then this prompt appeared and it was a perfect match. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.