0 comments

Fiction

Just being a United States citizen on Russian soil is enough to make a koala bear edgy. Being a CIA agent in Moscow at the culmination of a mission is nerve popping. At this moment, Koala’s nerve axons could be plucked like banjo strings.

Yeah, the agent’s code name is Koala – a United States’ CIA veteran sleeper agent planted in Moscow. Get it? Koalas are the animals that sleep the most … sleeper agent. Keep up. We’re going to have to move quickly to stay ahead of the shadowy figure who is following Agent K. (For security reasons, no real names – so don’t ask. Just remember, the agent is called either Koala, K, or Agent K – that will suffice.)

For two weeks, Koala had kept just ahead of the Russian Federal Security Service agents. But one figure was now methodically following. Koala had first noticed the shadow that had ducked behind a column three days ago. The shadowy figure darting in and out of murky hiding spots was getting more frequent … and closer.

With only two hours left to complete the mission, once accomplished, Koala would have to quickly exit Russia by whatever means possible … depending on the situation. Agent K was only waiting for the signal; the shadowy figure was only getting nearer.

Koala had a very realistic expectation that this might be the last mission. It’s just part of the job. Every agent must accept this. Just because only one shadow is seen, doesn’t mean there aren’t more. The obscure figure following could be a means of trying to get Koala to make a serious and hasty mistake.

Stick with the plan. No sudden moves. No contacts. Wait for the signal.

With a Moscow tourist map mashed into a sweaty palm and a camera dangling at mid abdomen, Koala continued to portray the enchanted sightseer. Agent K grabbed a burger at Burger King (it’s called Бургер Кинг in Russian) and then boarded the Moscow Metro at the Arbatskaya (Арбатская) subway station. The shadowy figure quickly entered the back sliding door of the same subway car. He seemed to want Koala to see him.

Agent K rode the entire route twice, taking photos through the subway car window at appropriate locations. “Shadow” rode the route twice also. (Koala had given the mystery pursuer a name – Shadow – because the guy was clinging to Koala like a shadow at high noon that can’t be shaken). Agent K was now one hundred percent convinced that the man was following every move. One hour and five minutes to go.

Koala finally exited the metro at the Biblioteka imeni Lenina (Библиотека им. Ленина) subway station near Alexander Garden Park (Александровский сад). The beautiful park runs along the western wall of the Kremlin (Московский Кремль). Shadow exited also. Agent K heard the Kremlin Clock (Кремлёвские часы) playing its brief tune at the quarter hour. Forty-five minutes remained to the mission. Koala continued to take photos as Shadow followed at an increasingly close distance.

Agent K knew that Russia’s Federal Security was wise to the phony photographer-tourist coverup, but Koala also concluded that the agency was unaware of the mission’s true nature, and, that it would be completed by midnight tonight – if all went well. It was now 2320.

Koala walked slowly, stopping to take photos at odd angles, and changing camera filters and lenses that were plucked from a shoulder-hung camera case.

The Alexander Garden Park was closed for the night, but Agent K ducked into a tree-lined area anyhow. Hopefully, Shadow could be lost in the trees or at least engaged until midnight – thirty-five minutes away.

Agent K bit into the now cold Burger King burger then tossed the rest into a nearby trash bin and headed north, weaving in and out of the park trees and back into Manezhnaya Square (Манежная площадь) … but slowly, very slowly … taking photos along the crisscrossing trail.

The Kremlin Clock echoed from Red Square (Красная площадь) as it played its regular tune at the half hour mark. Pretending to drop the map, Koala turned to locate and retrieve the crumpled document. Just as suspected, Shadow stepped behind a thicket of bushes – he was still in pursuit.

It was a full moon, and the orb’s glow cast a dreamy appearance over the scenic Moscow park and adjoining square. Having doubled back into the square again, Koala passed the Four Seasons Fountain (ФонтанЧетыре времени года) and paused to take multiple shots of the famous bronze horses, sparkling in the fountains’ spray and moonlight. The Kremlin Clock chimed its tune at 2345. Koala continued the seemingly aimless meandering through the park.

“Останавливаться!” Shadow yelled at Agent K from about 80 yards. Koala looked at the watch – 2352 – it wasn’t time yet. Eight minutes to go. Koala couldn’t stop yet.

“I’ll give Shadow a run for his ruble,” Koala said and took off at jackrabbit speed. Shadow charged toward his prey. Running didn’t seem to be Shadow’s superpower, though, and Agent K quickly expanded the distance between them.

K’s long distance running training began in middle school; Shadow’s long-distance training looked as if it were held at the school lunchroom. The minutes ticked by quickly as Koala enjoyed the moonlight dash. Adrenaline was pumping wildly.

As the distance between the two opposing agents continued to grow, Koala slowed to a canter. Gazing back at Shadow as he doubled over with exhaustion, Koala grinned and then collided with a large man dressed in military uniform.

Koala bounced off the man and landed butt first on a grassy area. The man was more than twice the size of Agent K.

“Что ты делаешь в парке? Закрыто,” the soldier said gruffly.

“I don’t speak Russian,” Koala said between breaths. Agent K was panting from the run and from the knock down.

“What are you doing in the park? It is closed,” the man repeated in English.

“I was told that Alexander Garden Park is beautiful at night in the moonlight. I wanted to get some photos before I leave for…”

“We have been watching you ever since you entered Russia,” the soldier cut off Koala. “I believe you have other matters that might be of interest to Federal Security.”

As the soldier spoke, the Kremlin Clock began to play music, announcing the midnight hour. Koala felt a small trickle of relief flow inwardly; nevertheless, Agent K still had to wait for the signal.

The soldier continued to speak, but Agent K was laser focused on the Kremlin Clock that was now striking the midnight hour. First strike … second strike … third strike …

“…You were so busy dodging the shadow behind you, you forgot to watch for the shadow shifting in front of you.” The Russian laughed at his own inane witticism.

Koala continued counting … ninth strike … tenth strike … eleventh strike … twelfth strike … thirteenth strike.

The mission was successful!

Koala hoped that few, if anyone else, had counted the strikes for midnight. Thirteen strikes were the signal that Agent K had been waiting and hoping for. The mission was accomplished and a success.

“Comrade, I am just an American tourist looking for some good photos tonight. Maybe you could be my guide,” Koala said with a sweet smile.

“Your feminine charms will not work on me,” the soldier responded coolly.

“That’s good, because I have very few feminine charms.”

With the speed of a sidewinder, Agent K struck the soldier in the laryngeal prominence (Adam’s apple) with the right fist, followed by an equally fast and efficient left palm strike up into the soldier’s nose.

From the camera, Koala adroitly popped off the lens filter, and twisted the pointed edges into the soldier’s hand that was held to his face as he cradled his stinging nose. The man sunk to his knees, then slowly crumpled to the ground. The propofol worked quickly.

“We were right, you are the undercover agent we are seeking,” the man said weakly as his eyes grew heavy and closed.

“Nope. I was just the decoy this time. I kept you busy while the infiltrator got what was needed and is already out of the country.”

The soldier was oblivious to Koala’s explanation.

Agent K knew the soldier would be unconscious for several hours. His pain would be minimal, except for when he would have to report to his superiors that a 122-pound woman had clobbered him.

Koala looked around for her good buddy, Shadow. He was nowhere to be seen. Not much of a team player, Agent K thought to herself. Shadow had done his part, by seemingly driving Koala to the cleanup guy; then, Shadow booked. He never thought the scrawny American woman would pulverize a 250-pound soldier.

Koala should have been insulted that Russia’s Federal Security had only sent one soldier to take her down – but hey, it made the end of her mission easy.

Never underestimate your enemy, boys.

Agent K started to head for her safe house, then turned and said to her sleeping opponent, “Вы были правы — остерегайтесь движущихся теней прямо перед вами.” (Rough English translation: “You were right – beware of the shifting shadows right in front of you.”)

Author’s Note

I have never been to Russia, but I’ve observed from afar that it’s a beautiful country. I hope the war and hostilities will end soon, and there can be more friendship between the USA and Russia. This story is only meant to be a fun spy caper. It is not meant to reflect any animosity toward the Russian people. A Reedsy reader wrote to me and pointed out that Russia is always portrayed as a bad actor in our American stories (I’m paraphrasing). I have observed this as well. I try not to associate political leaders’ actions with the integrity of the people of each country. Every country has had leaders that don’t reflect the true heart of the people. We little people suffer for it, and we can be unfairly judged by the actions of our leaders. I just want to remind readers that most people of every country are all just trying to live good lives and raise their families. We’re all in the same world with the same basic and simple goals and needs. The moral of this note is: don’t judge a country by its leaders. Now, I’ll get off my soapbox and you may review some interesting story references.

References

Alexander Garden

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Garden

This Wikipedia article contains more information about the Alexander Garden in Moscow, Russia.

Google Map of Alexander Garden Park

https://tinyurl.com/4dhhrc5a

This Google map gives a glimpse of Alexander Garden Park. The shortened URL was created by TinyURL (see reference for TinyURL). This Google map location is placed on a sidewalk in the park. You can maneurver around the park with this map and your mouse. It’s similar to “walking in the park.”

Google Map of Moscow, Russia

https://tinyurl.com/mrxz9yfe

This is a Google map of Moscow. The shortened URL was created by TinyURL (see reference for TinyURL). Be sure to take advantage of the zoom tool.

Google Translate

https://translate.google.com

No, I don’t speak, read, or write Russian. (I wish I did.) I used Google Translate. All Russian quotes in this story were created with the online Google Translate app. Most of the names of locations were found on Google maps of Moscow (see reference of Moscow Google map), or from Wikipedia articles.

The Kremlin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremlin

This Wikipedia article has interesting information regarding the Kremlin, located in Moscow, Russia.

Kremlin Clock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremlin_Clock

This Wikipedia article gives a historical account and facts regarding the Kremlin Clock.

Red Square

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Square

This Wikipedia article offers details about Red Square, located within the Kremlin walls in Moscow, Russia.

TinyUrl

https://tinyurl.com/app

This website-app shortens super long URL addresses. Give it a try. It’s free and easy to use.

Tourist Map

https://en.moscowmap360.ru/moscow-tourist-map

This site has a Moscow tourist map (which may be downloaded), like what Agent K is carrying in the story.

YouTube video of Kremlin Clock chiming at midnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUF3mMSnSI

This YouTube video showcases the Kremlin Clock playing its melody and striking twelve times at midnight.

October 27, 2022 16:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.