0 comments

Historical Fiction

1961

"So, what's the catch?" I look around the room. Many more people I don't recognize enter the room. "Ayesha, the catch is we go to jail, we get beat, spit on and cursed at." I knew this is a strong possibility. I just didn't know it would happen so soon.

Present Day

Wow, look at me. I can't believe this was me, a girl in college fighting for her freedom. This picture was taken in 1961 the year I joined the fight for freedom. I still remember to this day the meeting that took place where we decided enough was enough.

1961

The meeting went well. There were a lot of different opinions. Some were good others not so much. I sat there and listened. This was my first meeting. My best friend Willow invited me to the meeting.

The first time Willow invited me to go to one of these meetings I was scared to go. I saw in the news what happened at one of these meetings. The police raided the house. Many were arrested. But Willow told me "If we want freedom, to be treated as equals then we have to fight for it because no one is going to hand us our freedom on a silver platter."

I knew Willow was right. Our march to freedom is not going to be easy. It's going to be dangerous but it's going to be worth it. One of the things discussed is going down south. As you can imagine I was terrified. These are the risks we have to take. So, it is decided that a group of us would ride an interstate bus down south. May 4th the first group will get on the bus. Myself and Willow volunteer to go on the first bus ride. It's really happening.

Present Day

I remember clear as day as if it happened yesterday the day I got on the bus. We were called Freedom Riders. The name means so much to me because it was yet another step to freedom. I was nervous, scared. I was so many things. This is what I needed to do. I was glad Willow went with me. I wouldn't have survived without her. I never told my parents. They would have stopped me. They never found out.

1961

It's the night before the first freedom ride. I have everything prepared. I have my clothes and shoes I'm going to wear and the bag I'm going to use. I can't help but think about the bad things that are going to happen. Corey, the sponsor of the meeting told us the catch for joining is jail, getting beat, cursed and spit on. This is the price of freedom we are going to have to pay.

I nervously go to bed, praying to God that everybody getting on the bus tomorrow will be safe. The next day I wake-up shower, get dress, make and eat breakfast. I quietly leave my house and go pick up Willow. I knock on Willow's door. She comes out and together we walk to the bus station where the bus that is taking us south is located.

Me and Willow arrive at the bus station. We are not the first ones to arrive. There are many more people from the meeting at Corey's house and Corey himself is there. We go up to Corey and check-in. Me and Willow meet some other freedom riders. I like them. We talk about what brought them here. Soon it's time to board the bus.

Me, Willow and the rest of the group board the bus. I find a seat in the middle of the bus for me and Willow. "Are you okay?" I look at Willow and nod. I never been this nervous in my life. This is the first time I left home without my parents. "Don't worry. We are here together." I hug my best friend. The last person boarded the bus. We are ready to go. The driver starts the bus and off we go.

Present Day

I'm standing on the exact same spot where the first freedom ride bus took me, Willow and many others down south. So many memories. So many amazing people I met and we are still friends to this very day. These freedom rides were important to the movement, important in securing our freedom. The cost was high but we had to do it to fight the injustice that was happening in the south.

1961

The ride down south is taking us days, during this time we have I got to know some of the people and the reasons why they are on the bus. The main reason I keep hearing is to fight the injustice in the south. I like their reasoning. Me and Willow are there for the same reason and so much more.

A Supreme Court decision that was handed down ending segregation on interstate buses and in all forms like in restaurants, and in waiting rooms in bus terminals were not being enforced in the south nor by the government. The freedom rides is our way to show the people in the south and the entire country that we want the law to be enforced.

As we got near the southern states, we started to see big changes. The looks we are getting are very nasty. We kept on going. We are not going to let these stares intimidate us. We forged on but as we went into the Deep South things got worse. We started to get harassed. Me, Willow and the others shielded our faces from the mob bashing the windows.

I held on to Willow. She held on to me. The mob kept on banging on the bus, breaking windows, yelling and cursing at us. We all headed to the back of the bus but it was no use. The mob which included the police, they didn't try to help us got on the bus and began to beat us.

I see Corey go down. The mob of guys are beating on him and calling him names. I see others who have become good friends of mine also getting beat and cursed at. Willow grabs me, turns me to her and she tells me "Ayesha, look at me. Keep your eyes on me and whatever you do don't let go of me and I will do the same." I keep my eyes on Willow and she keeps her eyes on me.

The next thing I know I feel pain coursing throughout my body. I hear the wails and screams of my friends, of Willow and me. I hear the breaking of bones. I hear the yelling, screaming and cursing of the mob directed at me and Willow. I never let go of Willow and she never let's go of me.

Present Day

I still feel the pain of the clubs that beat me on that hot sunny day in 1961. I still hear the voices of those men who would beat defenseless people for no reason other than the fact they hate us. I still have nightmares about that day. I don't regret going. Freedom is worth it if you are willing to fight for it.

The friendships I made on the bus ride south grew stronger since that day. My friendship with Willow grew not only as friends but as sisters. I love her so much. The fight for our freedom didn't end on the bus. We continued the fight until we got the rights as U.S. citizens, we and every single person who fought for freedom deserves. We continue the fight to this very day.

Keeping fighting. Never give up no matter what anybody tells you. It's worth it.

March 08, 2023 23:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.