0 comments

Science Fiction

Time to Fly

It was the middle of the night when Flight squadrons Glover and Cole received their call to base. It had been a while since their last calling and this one was going to be a real challenge. There wasn't much going on with their own lives, only the world depended on them to keep the world ticking. 

There were a number of them at the control, to get them ready for their next mission. Commander Gerhardt was present in the mist of the operation. Flight squadrons Glover and Cole arrived to meet him.

"What is it now?" exclaimed Cole, rather tirelessly, he was the weaker of the two and didn't much like to be woken by anything.

"We have a big problem only the two of you can solve," explained the Commander. "You have to make sure this device doesn't go into the wrong hands...if it does...it would be the end of all of this."

"What is the mission that is so gravely important to break me from my sleep," Cole was determined that the mission could wait until the morning.

"This is no time to joke around, I want the both of you on this and to work together, now, here are your papers, the count will commenced in a few minutes, gather your gear and come with me." 

The Commander was not in a mood for any games but hurried them off to a room where their machine was ready to  transport them back. 

Air Base Zoom was situated high above the clouds, only the beacon could be seen with its light beaming.  The two of them were seated side by side, and were instructed to type the message from their ear pieces. 

"Well, here goes nothing," Cole injected.

"Let's hope this will be the last time we do this," Glover was beginning to sound nervous.

The voice on the speaker gave instructions for them to put their protective gear on and begun the countdown...

"5..4...3...2...1...you're ready to go."

The machine was gone, nothing but a cloud of white smoke lingered, the commander and the rest of the crew looking on,

"This has to work, if they come back...we are doomed."

Those were the last words of the Commander.

 







January 17, 2020 12:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.