1 comment

Kids Suspense Coming of Age

The small village of Suceska nestled in the verdant valleys of eastern Bosnia seemed a world away from the chaos of war that had engulfed the region. The sky was often a brilliant blue, dotted with cottony clouds, and the air smelled of pine and earth. For ten-year-old Alija, life revolved around simple joys—playing with his friends, attending school, and helping his father in their modest garden.

It was early autumn, and the leaves were beginning to turn hues of amber and gold. Alija loved this time of year, when the crispness of the air promised the approach of winter, and the days were filled with the scent of apples and the distant sound of children laughing.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows over the village, Alija found himself lingering outside his family's small, whitewashed house. His mother, Aida, was inside preparing dinner, and the comforting aroma of roasted peppers and onions wafted through the open window.

Alija's father, Emir, was sitting with a group of men under the old oak tree that stood at the center of their yard. These gatherings had become more frequent in recent months, and Alija noticed a tension in the air that he didn't fully understand. The men spoke in hushed tones, their faces lined with worry and exhaustion.

Curiosity piqued, Alija crept closer, careful to stay hidden behind a stack of firewood. His heart pounded with a mix of fear and excitement as he strained to hear their conversation.

"How much longer can we hold out?" one man asked, his voice rough with fatigue.

Emir sighed heavily. "We have to keep hoping for peace. But the rumors... the things they're saying about what's happening in other villages—"

Another man interrupted, his voice shaking. "My cousin in Srebrenica sent word. He said they're taking people away. Women, children... they're not coming back."

Alija's breath caught in his throat. He didn't understand all the words, but the fear in the men's voices was unmistakable. He had heard snippets of conversations among the adults, mentions of Serbs, Croats, and Muslims, but the full scope of the conflict eluded him.

"Emir," another voice, softer and more urgent, spoke up. "What about your family? What will you do if they come here?"

Emir's silence was more telling than any words. Alija peeked around the firewood to see his father's face etched with worry. Emir finally spoke, his voice barely above a whisper. "We'll protect our own. Whatever it takes."

Alija's mind raced. Protect from whom? And why? He knew about the soldiers he sometimes saw on the road, their stern faces and heavy boots, but they seemed like distant figures, part of a story that didn't touch his village.

As the men continued their grim discussion, Alija slipped away, his small heart heavy with a sense of impending dread. He wandered to the edge of the yard, where the first stars were beginning to twinkle in the dusky sky. The world felt vast and uncertain, filled with shadows that stretched long into the night.

That night, as he lay in bed, Alija couldn't shake the images conjured by the men's words. He thought of his mother and father, their faces tired but kind, and his younger sister, Lejla, who still believed in the magic of bedtime stories and dreams. He vowed to himself, in the quiet of his small room, to be strong and brave, just like his father.

Days turned into weeks, and the tension in the village grew. Alija watched as families packed their belongings, leaving in the dead of night with haunted eyes and hurried steps. The once lively village was becoming eerily quiet, the laughter of children replaced by whispered fears and hurried prayers.

One cold morning, just as the first light of dawn brushed the sky, Alija was woken by the distant sound of engines. He rushed to the window, his breath fogging the glass as he peered out into the gray morning. Soldiers. Dozens of them, moving with a precision that spoke of practiced cruelty.

His father burst into the room, his face pale and eyes wide. "Alija, take your sister and hide. Now!"

Without a moment's hesitation, Alija grabbed Lejla's hand and led her to the cellar, their secret hiding place. The cellar was dark and musty, filled with old preserves and dusty bottles. Alija pulled Lejla close, his heart hammering in his chest as they huddled in the darkness, listening to the muffled sounds above.

The shouts, the crashes, the screams—they filled the small space like a nightmare come to life. Alija held Lejla tightly, whispering words of comfort he barely believed. "It's going to be okay. We're safe here."

Hours felt like days as they waited in the oppressive darkness. Finally, the sounds above ceased, replaced by an eerie silence. Alija dared to hope that the danger had passed. He crept up the stairs, pushing open the cellar door with trembling hands.

The sight that met his eyes would stay with him forever. The house was in shambles, furniture overturned, glass shattered. His mother lay on the floor, unmoving, a pool of blood spreading around her. His father knelt beside her, his face a mask of anguish.

Alija's legs felt like lead as he stumbled forward, his small voice breaking. "Mama?"

Emir looked up, his eyes filled with a sorrow deeper than Alija could comprehend. "She's gone, son. She's gone."

In that moment, the world that Alija had known shattered into a million pieces. The simplicity of childhood was ripped away, replaced by a harsh, unforgiving reality. The words he had overheard that night under the oak tree came rushing back, their meaning now clear and terrible.

The village of Suceska, once a haven of peace and beauty, was now a place of loss and mourning. But even in the midst of such devastation, Alija found a strength he didn't know he possessed. He took his father's hand, and together they faced the uncertain future, determined to protect what little they had left.

As the days turned into weeks and months, Alija grew into a young man, his childhood innocence forever lost but replaced by a steely resolve. He understood now the weight of the words he had overheard, the gravity of the conflict that had torn his world apart. And in that understanding, he found a new purpose—to survive, to remember, and to honor the memory of those who had been lost to the darkness.

May 15, 2024 13:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kristi Gott
01:20 May 25, 2024

This is a very vivid story about the dramatic impact of the fighting and his mother's death. The story arc and character arc take us from the playful child to the determined character at the end of the story, showing how the character changed. Very well written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.