1 comment

Holiday

5 ...!

4 ...!

3 ...!

2 ...!

1 ...!

   "Happy New Year!!!" 

The people shouted at the festive party. They shook hands and hugged while saying happy new year to the people around them. All looked so happy and enthusiastic about the coming of the new year.

  The atmosphere full of excitement immediately vanished when heard screaming in pain mixed with fear of a woman. A red-eyed mouse perched on his shoulder and bit his neck. Blood pouring out. The people who were at the party immediately helped.

   Black-haired creature are very difficult to release. When they managed to pull the rat from the woman's neck, some meat from the neck. revoked. The woman is now lying unconscious. People immediately returned to take her to the hospital.

  Suddenly, the woman's eyes opened wide. The eyes are red like the eyes of a mouse. She rose quickly and bit the person beside her.

The man who was bitten screamed in pain. A moment later, he also fell unconscious and got up again with the same red eyes, then bit the hand of someone else who was trying to help.


***

   

   Michael was stunned when he heard a hysterical scream from inside the room. he and his two friends, Liza and Sean, were in the garden to smoke. The frenetic party just made the three of them feel bored.

  "What's that?" said Liza. The three then rushed to go back inside.

  Bruk!

A little girl ran and crashed into Liza. The girl then falls. Michael immediately helped her.

  "Are you ok?" asked the young man. The little girl did not answer. She cried while hugging Michael tightly.

Michael and his two best friends could not believe what the little girl was saying, that inside people were biting and attacking each other fiercely.

  "Trust me!" begged the child who claimed to be named Anita.

  Michael and the others just nodded. Their steps closer to the room to find out what really happened.

  A woman in a party dress suddenly bursts out of the room and runs towards them. He jumps to attack Michael. Fortunately, the young man could avoid it. However, the middle-aged woman turned and looked at Michael sharply with her red eyes.

  "Damn!" the young man muttered softly. He then immediately carried Anita and ran away followed by his two best friends.

  They then got into Liza's white car.

  Brak !!!

The door of the vehicle was smashed hard by the red eyes woman. Her nails clawed at the window glass from the outside.

  Michael immediately started the car engine, but several people came out of the party room also doing the same thing as the woman outside. Lisa hugs Anita who cries in fear. Outside, the red eyes of the people stared intently at them.


***


  Sean called to the police station with his cellphone.

"Yes, alright, I'll go there. You have to stay calm," said an officer.

  "What's wrong, Larry?" asked another officer to the officer Sean had just called.

  "Someone reported something strange. Maybe he was drunk, but I will check there, because there might be a commotion," said the officer named Larry while rushing.

  "Call us if you need help later!" said his colleague.

  Larry just nodded and left immediately.


***


  Larry arrived at the place and saw a car surrounded by many people. Without thinking, he fired the gun up to give a warning.

  The red-eyed figures stopped hitting and scratching the car. they all turned and looked at Larry.

  "What are you doing?" asked him. He then realized something was wrong with these people. He ran back to the car. The figures immediately chased after him. Quickly, they grabbed and ate the poor officer's body. From inside the car, Michael and the others could only stare in horror and fear. They then hurried away.


***


  Television stations seem crowded. The reporters on duty have just reporting on the events of the new year. The phone rings loudly. One reporter immediately picked up.

  "What is wrong?"

  "Please! Please spread this news! People must not roam. They must be at home and lock the door tightly. There are monsters out there. They are ready to prey! "said a trembling voice across.

  "Sir, you better go home! You must be drunk after the New Year party," the woman reporter said as she hung up. She then shook her head and laughing.

  'These people are nothing! New Year's celebration actually make someone very drunk and made up a monster story.'

  "What's wrong, Jen? Something wrong?" asked one of her colleagues.

  "Just a drunkard," she muttered softly.

"Where is Scarlett? I didn't see her from before, " continued the female reporter.

  "She was allowed to go to the toilet earlier. I don't know why she hasn't returned. She has been knocked repeatedly and there is no answer. Only the sound of water flowing from the faucet."

  The woman named Jen nodded.

"All right, I'll deliver the next news first. You guys broke down the bathroom door! Scarlett might be sick and can't answer."

  They just nodded and rushed to the toilet.


***


   "How?" Michael asked while still driving.

Sean shook his head.

  "They don't believe me. The woman reporter who took the call thought I was drunk and advised me to go home," Sean said quietly. He was the one who contacted the news agency and was appointed by Jen. That's all at Michael's suggestion.

  Michael just kept quiet. it's hard to believe this. Maybe if he had been at home and learned the news from Sean or Liza, he also must have thought they were drunk or made up stories to scare him.

  "We're going to the downtown park now. I hope the people there will believe in us, "Michael finally decided. The downtown park is the busiest place at a time like this. People light fireworks to welcome the new year.

 

***

 

   Jen cried stifledly. She is now locked in a newsroom. She do not want to believe what happened. Just after the toilet was broken down, his colleagues found Scarlett seriously injured in the right arm. There are bite marks on that area. Blood also flooded in the narrow area. Scarlett herself was unconscious and leaned against the toilet wall. However, not for long, the girl opened her eyes and bit someone beside her. And everything happened so fast. The red-eyed creatures attacked the entire office. Only Jen is left alone.

Jen clasped her ears tightly with both hands and tried to hold back tears. From outside, the sound of scratching and beating on her door.


***


  The atmosphere in the park is really terrible. People attack and prey on each other. Michael and the others immediately decided to leave. The roar of the car attracted the attention of people with red eyes to chase. Michael increased the speed of his car, so they could get away.

   

***


  Morning has arrived. Michael and the others are now in a remote house in the mountains. They keep awake because of fear and alert. Moreover, events on television stations were clearly recorded. People with red eyes attack each other and prey greedily. they worried that the creatures would also attack the house. So, even though they have installed a barrier board, they still cannot fall asleep. Horrific events at the party still haunt them. Michael then realized something was strange. That morning, on the television screen, everything went as usual. News shows still work normally.

  "Have we dreamed?" Sean said quietly. The young man's eyes did not escape staring at the screen. To Scarlett who is preaching the new year. The girl looks fine. his eyes were bluish green as usual.

  Michael shook his head.

"Something's happened. We'd better stay here. I'm sure the New Year's events were not mere dreams."


***


   The scratching noises were heard no more. jen who still locked herself up actually heard the voices of her colleagues on the move as usual. Talking about work while joking occasionally.

  'Do they want to scare me or is it just a nightmare?' said Jen silently. She just kept quiet. She looked at the bloodstains on her clothes when one of her colleagues intended to run, bitten near her. The friend's blood gushed and hit Jen's clothes.

  That's all too real for Jen. She is not sure what happened. However, the events of the new year are really real. She sure of that.


the end



December 30, 2019 23:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Gladys Swedak
00:00 Jan 09, 2020

These two paragraphs are confusing The atmosphere full of excitement immediately vanished when (who) heard screaming in pain mixed with fear of a woman. A red-eyed mouse perched on his (whoes) shoulder and bit his neck. Blood pouring out. The people who were at the party immediately helped. Black-haired creature are very difficult to release. When they managed to pull the rat from the woman's neck, (thought it was a man's neck) some meat from the neck. revoked. The woman is now lying unconscious. People immediately returned to take her ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.