2 comments

Drama Fiction Friendship

At first, Raymond thought it was something falling off a shelf but the second time, the sound was clear. Someone was knocking on the window. He flushed the toilet and walked into the store. A woman was standing outside the show window. Raymond walked towards the door and opened it. The lady was tall with long brunette hair and dressed in a suit.

“Good morning Ma’am. I’m sorry but we are not open.” Raymond said.

“Sorry I….I don’t want to buy anything. I want to know where Fila went.”

"Maybe you have the wrong store, we don't have an employee by the name Fila," Raymond said.

“Not a person it’s the fish that lives in this tank. I named her Fila.” The lady said pointing at a fish tank that was inside the store.

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the fish just died. I actually just flushed her down the toilet," Raymond said.

The lady’s face turned flush and she started scratching her head.

“What? When? I mean she seemed fine yesterday. Was she sick?”

"No, she was not sick. I think she died of old age, in the night.” Raymond replied.

The lady froze and blankly stared through the window. Raymond noticed a teardrop from one of her eyes.

“Are you okay? You can come in and have a seat.” Raymond offered.

The lady did not respond. She shook her head and walked away. Raymond watched her as she disappeared around the street. He shrugged and went back into the store. He turned the ‘open’ sign around and went about cleaning the antique items lining the shelves. Old Items were his passion and once in a while, he would get something valuable enough to boost his income.

 The doorbell rang and someone called out.

"Ray, it's Jim."

“Give me a minute and I will be with you Jim” Raymond replied as he walked towards the counter.

“Where’s the fish that you kept in the tank?” Jim asked.

“It seems a lot of people were fond of her. A lady asked about her and she was pretty upset when I told her I found the fish dead this morning.”

"She made this museum come alive," Jim said laughing.

“To think that it wasn’t my idea but my girlfriend’s to have a fish tank. I simply thought it would be out of place.” Raymond said.

"Well, you need to get another or…."

The doorbell interrupted Jim and they both looked. The lady in a suit walked in and without looking at the two she walked to the furthest shelf and disappeared behind it.

"That's the lady I was telling you about." Raymond said walking from behind the counter, "I'll be back let me talk to her."

"Hey, I didn't get your name," Raymond asked.

“I’m Amie.” The lady said looking at an antique kettle.

Raymond could see that she was still sad and looked like she had been crying.

“I apologize about earlier. I did not mean to drop the bombshell on you. I hope it’s not what’s making you upset?” Raymond asked.

Amie abruptly turned to face Raymond and held his shirt. She pulled out a knife from her purse and held it against Raymond’s stomach. Raymond’s eye’s bulged out and he held onto a shelf for balance.

“I want you to tell me what you did to Fila! I know you killed her.” Amie shouted.

“What do you mean? I did not kill the fish are you insane!?” Raymond said.

“Don’t call me insane. I hate that word” Amie was now sobbing while still holding the knife.

“Is everything ok back there?” Jim asked from the counter.

“If you speak I’m going to do it!” Amie threatened.

Raymond did not respond. He could not believe someone looking so innocent could be capable of this.

"Ray, you alright?" Jim asked again?

Jim decided to check and confirm since he did not get a response. He saw the knife Amie was holding.

"Please be calm and don't do something rash." Jim pleaded.

“He killed her and…….and flushed her down the toilet like a piece of trash!” Amie said as she continued crying.

“He’s a good guy and he loved the fish. He’d never do that….believe me.” Jim said.

Amie looked at Raymond who was nodding in agreement. Jim quietly pulled back. Amie didn’t seem to mind. She slowly put the knife back into her purse.

“I’m sorry. I’m just so sad.” Amie said.

"We all are she was loved," Raymond said calming down.

Jim came back and stood silently.

“Can we get you anything?” Jim asked.

“No. I’m leaving. Please forgive me.” Amie said walking past Raymond.

A police siren sounded outside the store. Amie froze.

“Please help me I don’t want to be taken back there.” Amie turned to Raymond.

They both stared at her in disbelief. ‘How can we help you when you just had a knife on me’ Raymond thought. Amie suddenly sprinted towards the back door and she was gone. A cop entered the store and both Raymond and Jim approached him.

“She just left through the back door. That woman is crazy.” Jim blurted out.

The cop instructed his colleague over the radio to check behind the store.

“What did she do?” The cop asked.

"She had a knife on me accusing me of killing my fish," Raymond replied.

“What?” The cop asked confused.

"I had a goldfish in that tank over the window and in the morning I found her dead. This woman knocks on the window before I even opened and she is pretty upset when she asks about the fish. She goes away and then comes back this time with a knife and threatens to stab me if I don't tell her the truth." Raymond explains.

The cop writes down on a notepad.

“How did she look?” The cop asked.

"Tall, brunette hair and wearing a suit," Raymond said.

Negative. I have no one in the back of the store.”

Roger that." The cop responds over the radio.

“Did she tell you her name is Amie?” The cop asked.

“Yeah….how did you know that?” Jim asked.

"She's an accountant and maybe having a mental relapse. Don't worry she's not that dangerous. Once we get her I'll call you to file a complaint if you want." The cop said.

"You know what, just make sure she's okay….ill not file a complaint," Raymond said.

“Dude you could have died! What if she comes back?” Jim asked.

“She was not that scary. I’m sure she was just upset.” Raymond said.

Jim shrugged and shook his head. The cop gave Raymond his card and left.

A couple of days passed and the fish that Raymond had bought arrived. He placed them in their new home by the window and took one and placed it in a fishbowl. He had found where Amie worked and felt like he needed to see her. He walked across town into an office block. Amie was behind a computer dressed in a green suit. She rose in surprise as Raymond approached and handed her the fish in the bowl.

"I figured I should get you one," Raymond said smiling.

Amie held the tank to her chest and laughing.

“Thank you so much. I love her already.” Amie replied.

"You can register here as your emotional support pet and that will allow you to travel anywhere with her," Raymond said.

Amie placed the bowl on her desk and hugged Raymond.

"You are my new friend," Amie said tightly hugging Raymond.

June 11, 2021 14:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Stevie B
11:29 Jun 16, 2021

You've created a very fine fish tale, Simon. Your narrative skills are a keen companion to your original ideas. Words are like people in that when you put the right ones together then magic may happen.

Reply

Simon Kigo
17:13 Jun 18, 2021

Thanks so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.