0 comments

Fiction Friendship High School

From the outside, Angie was like most other high school students—studies hard to get A's, takes part in sports, and has a mutual crush where neither are confident enough to make the first move. Although Angie was pretty well-liked throughout her high school, she often kept to herself when that option was available. She enjoyed the time to unwind and clear her mind from her rigorous coursework and extracurriculars. This is why when news of a party started spreading around her friend groups she did not pay it much attention—that is until her crush Ian approached her one day after school.

"So uh Angie," Ian fumbling over his greeting, "did you hear about that party everyone is talking about?"

"Oh, hey Ian! I think I have heard it brought up a few times. Are you going to it?" Angie prodded Ian.

"Sure am! The Rogers are hosting it and I heard they have an inground pool, mini arcade, and a home theater!" Ian excitedly responded. "Though I kinda wanted to ask, since we live so close to each other, did you want to go together?"

Angie's eyes widened, a million thoughts rushing through her head. Does he want me to go? Is he asking me on a date? No, he is probably just asking everyone he sees. But what if it is a date? If I say no will he think I am lame? This may be my only chance, he must like me somewhat if he is talking to me at all, right?

"That sounds amazing!" Angie responded, almost shouting.

Before Ian could even recover from the sudden excitement from Angie she took off down the halls, almost colliding with multiple other students on her way through. Confused, but not wanting to think too hard on it, Ian shrugged and went off to his own locker before heading home. Angie, on the other hand, did not stop running until she found Leah, her best friend since 1st grade.

"You are going to that party Leah, right? You have to help me! I said yes but I don't do parties and is it too late to cancel? What if I just hide under my bed instead and switch schools so I don't die from embarrassment from not going?" Angie bombarded Leah with a seemingly endless amount of questions.

Leah, clearly taken off guard, tried her best to respond, "First, yes I am going. Second, what was the rest of that? You seem more nervous than when you had to take your driving test!"

"Ian asked if I wanted to go together to the party and I said yes without thinking and I just don't know what to do! You have to help me Leah!" Angie begged her friend.

"Angie! You can't pass this up! You have been crushing hard on Ian ever since you two had algebra together." Leah reassured Angie of her decision. "You are not going to hide under your bed, you are not going to switch schools. You are going to that party and you will be going with Ian. Here is the plan, I'll come over early and help you with your outfit and makeup. Then I will leave way before he would arrive and meet you guys at the party."

"Thank you so so so so much Leah!" Angie said as she leaped at Leah to give her a mighty hug.

◆◆◆

For most, Saturday did not come fast enough. For Angie, however, it came at her like a speeding train. Even with all of Leah's help in the morning, she felt herself questioning her decisions which led her to this moment. Though there was nothing for Angie to do, as Ian was pulling into her driveway now.

The drive to the Roger's place was short, but the conversation between Angie and Ian was even shorter. Nervous beyond what she has ever been before, Angie was not able to get out much more than one or two-word responses whenever Ian prompted her. Her mind was once again filled with endless questions which left little room for thoughts relating to any current conversation. When they did arrive at the party, Ian opened up Angie's door and they walked up together. Music and voices could be heard from the front, which was only amplified even more when they took their first steps inside.

Even though they were immediately greeted by familiar faces and complimented how cute they were together, Angie and Ian quickly found themselves in different parts of the party. Ian was quickly absorbed into his close friend group in the arcade, while Angie quickly jumped between groups doing a quick hello before moving on trying to locate Leah. Much to her dismay, Leah never showed up! She learned that Leah and her boyfriend had a fight shortly after Leah left her house this morning and that she decided she rather not see him today.

With no Ian or Leah, Angie eventually found herself at a quieter part of the party out on the patio. While she was out there, she found a deck of playing cards—Angie was no card player, but she did practice some cardistry in the past to calm her nerves. From flourishes to riffle fans Angie got lost in her own world of cards for some time. Though she was not alone and was soon approached by JJ—someone Angie didn't speak with much and was considered nerdier by most other kids.

"You do this a lot?" JJ asked as he walked up next to Angie.

"Not really, only when I need something to focus on. Do you?" Angie responded to him.

"Sometimes! My father was a dealer at a casino for quite some time, so he taught me a lot about cards." JJ happily responded. "Mind if I give it a shot?"

Handing over the cards to JJ, Angie was quickly amazed by everything he could do with them! From perfect riffle shuffles to being able to spin a card around his back and have it land back onto the deck. They ended up taking turns showing each other various moves, but this show was another that did not go unnoticed. Word spread around the party and now various groups were now watching these two cardists, much to their own amazement!

Despite the crowd, Angie felt almost at home doing tricks together with JJ. Their own little show lasted the better part of half an hour before it concluded, an ending that would lead to something new for the both of them. After having their fun, JJ asked if Angie wanted to go on a walk, to which she happily agreed. JJ and Angie ended up spending the rest of their evening together, and before it ended Angie had to make her thoughts known.

"JJ, you saved this party for me!" Angie exclaimed. "I was so nervous since I decided to go, but you made it so I actually had fun. Then this walk was also really nice. I was kinda wondering if you'd like to do something like this again, but like, maybe as a date?"

Shocked by the sudden date question JJ tried to put together some sort of answer, "It was a really nice time, I was afraid it would be another party where I was mostly by myself until I got bored and left. I'd love to have a day for just us, a date."

While Angie and JJ decided to start dating, they thought little of what happened at the party but were soon reminded Monday morning at school. People were talking about their cardistry so much that they both got asked by different teachers if they would want to show something to the class. It was a weird change in attention that neither of them has really gotten before. Though this again was just the start. Multiple individuals from the party recorded—and posted—their little performance, some quickly reaching hundreds if not thousands of views!

Angie and JJ went on to start their own video channel, posting a variety of compilations, tutorials, and little shows they would put on. After their continued success they even decided on a joint name, The PartyStoppers, to pay homage to the start of their relationship. Also seeing this as an opportunity to help others who may feel left out or always in the background, Angie started to conclude every video with a simple saying that she felt meant the world to her:

Everyone has their own hand that is worth showing.

May 09, 2021 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.