Chez Moi

Submitted into Contest #260 in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

66 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

3 May 2024


Mon très cher ange Jeremy,


Well, first of all, oh my goodness! It’s happening!


Next week, I will be picking you up at the Gare du Nord. Then, in a month’s time, you and I will be marching to city hall --- 11 a.m., on the dot, precise as a timetable – so the mayor could officially wed us. (I know. It’s not very romantic, but yes, that’s the way things are done chez moi.). Of course, just a fortnight after, I can finally walk down a tulip-lined aisle towards your joyfully tearful hazel eyes at the ceremony we’ve planned to the minutest of details, the beginning of our journey as husband and wife. Just thinking about all of that makes adrenaline zoom inside me like a bullet train.


Wow! A breath away --- just a short whistle stop, so to speak --- and I’ll be Mrs. Carine Alexandre-Holborn. Sweetheart, it seems like only yesterday I took that ride across La Manche (The English Channel for you, of course) for a holiday in London and bumped into you in the bustling hallways of St. Pancras. Those years of yearning, of us both on opposite shores longing to intertwine our fingers into the other's on our daily commutes, feel as recent as my Ligne 14 train sliding into Madeleine station this morning. Yes, I could still picture the fragrant bouquet in your hand as I leapt into your waiting arms across a terminal ticket hall, my entire life in my suitcases. Soon, we will be husband and wife; there will be no more gloomy partings in a crowded railway terminus (Gawd, the number of times I imagined catapulting myself across the waters). Just the thought of that makes my soul levitate as if on magnets.


I know. It would have been perfect if you could have boarded that Eurostar with me, could have joined me returning chez moi for our impending nuptials. Worry not; I understand. Part of marrying a property barrister is knowing that sometimes, a case gets in the way of our most well-laid plans. Oh well. Even if we can’t broker being able to sit next to each other rolling into Paris, everything is still on track and, more importantly, you will be arriving here soon.


Speaking of that joyous day that you get here, you know very well that I’ve already prepared an itinerary for us, conceptualised a blueprint of a splendid stay for you chez moi. That’s not really a surprise now, isn’t it, Sweetheart? After all, any time we go on a trip, it’s always me who organises the list of activities so meticulously, it can shame signal controllers. What’s more, this is my home city, so please do indulge me.


So, yes, whilst we’re both here, pendant que tu me rends visite chez moi1, I’d love to take you around these little slices of my city, of where my mind travelled the chains and miles over to you as my feet were planted on the banks of the Seine. I could even draw you a little map, if you’d like. Oh, you know your fiancée loves her diagrams, after all.


 Halt Number 1: Parc Montsouris – Well, Sweetheart, I told you this already, but that fated day my head was buried in my phone screen displaying Google Maps and I crashed into you at Hyde Park two days after my arrival in the British capital, I knew that the rails of my life were leading into your arms. As your hazel eyes sparkled in joy and your melodious voice (that I always tell you reminds me of that of the announcements on the Bakerloo Line) sounded out a “Fancy seeing you here again”, I was sold. The invisible gavel had been banged, and my heart went to you; no need at all for you to bid.


What you probably don’t know is that when it was time for me to head over again to chez moi, as we walked together soundlessly to Hanger Lane Tube station so I could catch my trans-channel carriage to France, my innermost self felt like it was a ghost town. As I sank into my window seat and England whizzed past me, my consciousness shuttled back and forth between the image of your shy smile as you asked to sit with me on the wrought-iron bench and the roar of our laughter throughout those three hours we strolled in that little pocket of green and then, grabbed a coffee. Could you blame me for wanting to recreate that momentous meeting, for reaching out to your memory like a pantograph to overhead wires?


When you get here, we will promenade, just like we did on your side of La Manche, in this little Eden I started to frequent after that unforgettable holiday we became acquainted. More than the park Napoléon III built in the image of the gardens we met in, it was also where I spent many a lunch break, my imagination transporting me to your arms once more as I savoured my daily café au lait. I want you to realise whilst you’re chez moi how happy I am to not only share a seat with you from now on but also a life.


Halt Number 2: Bistrot Audran Darling, you know that whenever I remember that first dinner date we had, when my brain railroads all the memories of that night into me, I can’t help reliving and relishing every detail.


I know. You’re going to say that you’re embarrassed at how that supper went. Whenever we reminisce about that soirée, you would always shake your head and state that you wish you could build yourself a tunnel to hide from the shame. You’d blush, your face as bright as the signs for Ligne 5 of the Paris Métro, and apologise for the Central Line being so hot during that ride to your favourite Notting Hill restaurant, for “babbling on and on about rolling stock like an idiot out of nerves.” You would wince at the recollection of your hands trembling, as if it were a car on a steep gradient, to the point of spilling a bit of your vanilla ice cream onto your black button-down shirt.


Well, what if I told you that I enjoyed every minute of it, that every hallway of my mind is filled with that magical evening having a meal with you? In fact, I had so much fun that I scoured the city I call chez moi for a food joint that reminded me of the one you took me out in. It was such a lovely night for me that I always imagine you in the banquette across me, that I do not find it a problem to accidentally dribble bit of my dessert onto my clothes. I hope it’s fine with you that we stage that first rendez-vous when you get here.


Halt Number 3: Le mur des je t’aime Oh yes, Sweetheart. I’d like for you to see it in person, the very same art installation that made me appraise everything I knew here in France and decide to take that Eurostar to England, all my belongings packed. I don’t know why but somehow reading “I love you” scrawled on onyx-coloured tile played your voice in my head, flashed the images of your countless visits to me in my heart. It was as if a dot matrix display scrolled out the words “Come to Jeremy” right before my eyes.


Of course, it wasn’t easy. Gawd, trying to master the often-confusing rules of English grammar sometimes felt like trying to diagram the metro system of an urban agglomeration I’ve never been to. Then, of course, there was the brouhaha of trying to find a job, an undertaking which I found comparable to navigating the maze that is the Gare Saint-Lazare. After a year of trying, though, I finally made my way to my favourite destination in the world: your arms.


If it’s okay, I’d love to show you the starting point of that journey.


Halt Number 4: My childhood homeBut of course, Sweetheart! You know this was coming up. Before we are wed, before we can officially share the tracks of our lives together, my family would like you to spend some time with them in the original chez moi. Call it an official “Welcome aboard” message from my folks.


Oh, I can’t forget the day I brought you over to introduce you to my parents and sister. You were shaking to the point of leaning over to me and whispering jokingly that you needed an adjusting spring to stabilise yourself. Of course, as you would come to discover, you needed worry at all. Yes, from the moment I disembarked that high-speed train from the British capital for the first time, I’d been gushing about you, could not stop raving about how you make me feel like the queen of some château. Naturally, they’d already earmarked a place for you at the dining table.


By the end of that supper, you’d been served so much Reisling, fed so much, fussed over by all residents of a brick house in Saint-Denis. As you smiled in relief and glanced at me across our living room, I mouthed out “I told you so.”; there is no doubt that all of us wanted you, my home, to feel as though you were chez toi. They even insisted to drive us to the Gare du Nord for our journey back to London just so they could chat with you more.


As much as you’re excited to visit my family again, they’re very much chuffed to have you with us for a further time. Maman joked about practically putting your name on the house deed soon. Why not!


My sweet Jeremy, I’m beyond honoured to be officially your wife soon, for our lives to finally be at a junction with each other. Tu es et seras pour toujours mon chez moi.2


Excited to build a home with you,

Your Carine


P.S.: As you requested, I will book a cab so we could fit your luggage. Worry not. 

***

26 July 2024

Ma très belle raison d’être Carine,


Whenever I’m in your city of origin, I also feel chez moi, as you know.


Being here in Paris, exploring all of the places you highlighted in your letter with me coupled with you, I can’t help observing how the City of Lights shines brighter, how the Métro stations’ buzz resemble a heartbeat. Of course, all of that is because of you, because of the woman I will always call my home.


Look, I’m sorry. I could almost hear you say “Keep on rolling, Sweetheart”. You wouldn’t want me stuck like some rusty cab in a depot. My mind’s in a loop, though. If I didn’t ask for that taxi, if I let you fetch me at the Gare du Nord by rail, I’d still have your hand to hold. If I didn’t insist, you wouldn’t be chauffeured to the station by an intoxicated driver who crashed his vehicle into a tree. That’s just how it is, mon amour. For now, I feel like a termite-infested, condemned house. I feel....


Yes, I'm listening. Your voice might as well be blared from a tannoy in my mind. You'd want me to move to the next stop. Can I, though ? I still don't know.


Don’t worry; I will be okay. Time will continue chugging along with me as a passenger. At least, I was able to bring you back chez toi so we could intern you in this French capital you adored so much. At least, even if you’re gone, I had those seven years with you, found chez moi in your arms.


My heart will always be your property.


Trying to make sense of a life rerouted,

Your Jeremy


***

Translations:

1.     Whilst you’re visiting me here at home

2.     You are and you will always be my home.

July 24, 2024 11:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

66 comments

Kristi Gott
02:22 Jul 27, 2024

I feel like I got to know the main character like a friend by reading her letters. Because a twist would happen I was watching for it while being swept along with the suspense and momentum of the pace. When things like that happen suddenly it is heartbreaking. I enjoyed your clever phrasing, unique writing style, and descriptions!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:44 Jul 27, 2024

Hi, Kristi ! I'm so happy to know you got attached to Carine and Jeremy. Such a compliment as a writer. As for the twist, I wanted it to be surprising but not too abrupt, so I'm happy it worked. Once again, I appreciate your comments. I'm so happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jason Basaraba
20:46 Jul 26, 2024

First off, I liked the way this was told. The format is a perfect for this style. The heart wrenching ending was done with the right amount of time allotted to it, not dragged on. not made to be over flowery but to the pint with a deep feeling of sadness and reality.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:19 Jul 27, 2024

Hi, Jason ! Thank you so much. One of the things I appreciate about the epistolary format is its ability to really delve into a character's emotions. Glad it worked here. I'm happy too that you felt the lead up to the ending was done right. I was worried about that, to be honest. Again, thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
20:03 Jul 26, 2024

Wow! Your story was labeled as sad and I knew there had to be a twist, but I still hoped it wouldn’t happen! You did such a great job pulling me into the story that I got attached even when I knew I shouldn’t, haha. Great job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:25 Jul 27, 2024

Hi, McKade ! I was actually debating whether or not to give it the sad label. I was worried that hinting to the ending would spoil the emotional pull of the story. I'm happy it still worked. To know you got attached to the characters means a lot to me as a writer. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
18:48 Jul 26, 2024

Alexis!! Why do you have to break my heart like that </3

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:27 Jul 27, 2024

Hahahaha ! I'm sorry, Martha ! When I saw the prompt, writing a tragic love story came to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:21 Jul 26, 2024

A great tragic love story, loved to read your love description. some of your sentences are very beautiful, typically your own style. I knew that the rails of my life were leading into your arms. my heart went to you; no need at all for you to bid.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:39 Jul 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Syed ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I was worried that the twist would be too abrupt, but I'm happy it worked. As for those sentences, well, I'm a romance author at heart. I loved writing those. Hahahaha ! So happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ana M
19:14 Jul 25, 2024

A wonderful and touching story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:14 Jul 26, 2024

Thanks for reading, Ana ! Glad you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:20 Jul 25, 2024

Loved all the trip analogies on the trips back and forth. Best laid plans don't always pan out.Spledid job once more.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:14 Jul 26, 2024

Thank you so much, Mary ! I was playing on the idea of home, so I'm happy the train and real estate imagery worked. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
14:39 Jul 25, 2024

What a beautiful and original way to tell a love story — especially a tragic one. Your tour brought the story to life and drove home the poignancy of the tragic conclusion. Quite well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:46 Jul 25, 2024

Hi, Martin ! I'm so happy you liked this story. I was getting worried people would see my using of the epistolary format as a crutch. Hahaha ! I'm happy you liked the style. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Martin Ross
14:50 Jul 25, 2024

In this case, it adds a lot of depth to the account.👏

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:04 Jul 25, 2024

Glad you think so ! One of the reasons I love the epistolary format !

Reply

Martin Ross
15:21 Jul 25, 2024

I’m not very good at it. 😊

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:48 Jul 25, 2024

Well, I suppose it takes a bit of practice. I'm one to write very mushy letters to my partner, so I guess I channeled that into my story. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:33 Jul 25, 2024

Naturally, there was going to be a huge twist. The prompt called for it. I was worried, on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, wait for it . . . Oh no! She died. Totally tragic and heartrending. I'm glad you were writing within 3000 words. I don't think I could have managed a longer suspense. Boo hoo. So well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:38 Jul 25, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! When I was planning this story, I thought it would be a straightforward one that is less than 1,500 or so words. I almost reached 2,000. Hahahaha ! For some reason, despite the tragic ending, I enjoyed writing this. I'm so happy I was able to keep the suspense. Thanks for reading. I'm happy you liked it !

Reply

11:01 Jul 25, 2024

Just one thing which you may be able to check is a sentence near the start. "It’s that’s not very romantic," Did you mean 'Isn't that very romantic . . .' or 'Is that not very romantic . . .' ?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:16 Jul 25, 2024

Oooh, thank you. I meant "It's not very romantic." It's a reference to the fact that in France, the only legal marriage is a city hall wedding. After that, you can go nuts with the ceremony. Hahahaha !

Reply

11:26 Jul 25, 2024

France is not the only place. I believe Italy is another, I have an Aunt who got married in Rome many years ago. You can't divorce there either.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:23 Jul 26, 2024

really a good suspence

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:40 Jul 26, 2024

Very happy about that ! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
16:13 Jul 24, 2024

What a beautifully written story, Alexis! The ending was both heart-wrenching and touching, reminding us of the unpredictable nature of life. Keep up the fantastic work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:05 Jul 24, 2024

Hi, Jim! I'm happy you liked the story. I was afraid the ending was too abrupt, but I'm happy it worked. Indeed, sometimes, life can be unpredictable. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
16:07 Jul 24, 2024

Another wonderful story! Alexis, you have the ability to grab us and take us for a ride. You're getting quite good at these twists! I did not expect that ending at all! It reminds me that nothing in life is set in stone - no matter how hard we want them to be. As always, I love how you wrote this story. Your love of languages shines through. I'm also reminded that love has no borders. I loved how she loved her man. You have a strong grasp on those sometimes complicated emotions. The ending did bring some tears because it was overwhelmi...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:03 Jul 24, 2024

Daniel, you are always so lovely with your comments. I'm so happy you liked this one. Being able to take readers on an emotional journey has always been my goal as a writer. I always say that the best stories have good emotional pull, so I'm happy I was able to execute that for you in this tale of mine. As for the twist, well, somehow, when I found out the theme was twists, I thought I needed to write a story...like this. Precisely that. Life is short and can change in an instant. The best thing you could do with it is to love those close ...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
06:28 Jul 25, 2024

You are truly one of the best romance authors I know and you always do a great job! Twists or no twists, week after week, you give us something to treasure!!! P.S. I love the additions you made to this one!!! Keep up the good work!!! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:36 Jul 25, 2024

Oh my !!! "One of the best romance authors" ! I don't know what to say. I try is all. Besides, sometimes the best stories come from a real place. ;) I'm happy you like that small addition. Loving someone to the point of wanting to catapult to them ! Hahahahaha ! That was a fun idea to put in. Again, I'm happy you like it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
14:55 Jul 24, 2024

He seems to take it well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:12 Jul 24, 2024

Yes, I should work on that bit first. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Collette Parker
09:10 Aug 05, 2024

Loved the structure and short story as a letter. What a twist at the end did not see that coming ! Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:05 Aug 05, 2024

Hi, Colette ! I'm very happy you liked the format. I'm happy the twist surprised you. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chelsea Frame
18:09 Aug 01, 2024

wow! congratz

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:54 Aug 02, 2024

Thank you ! Happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom D
11:45 Aug 01, 2024

Very much enjoyed this, particularly against the backdrop of the Paris Olympics recently - the twist was heart-wrenching! I thought the epistolary format was a great way to convey the lovers’ feelings for one another - certainly gave it a real immediacy, I thought. If you have chance I’d be grateful for your thoughts on my latest effort! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:04 Aug 01, 2024

Hi, Tom ! Funnily enough, my non-sporty self didn't even realise that I released this story close to the opening of the Olympics. I just chose Paris because...I'm a francophile, and I wanted the protagonists to be a long distance couple. Hahahaha ! I love the epistolary format . I think it's so effective in expressing a character's inner thoughts and emotions, so I used it. Very happy you liked this. And yes, I will give your story a read ! Thank you for taking a gander at this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherri Moorer
15:26 Jul 31, 2024

Excellent story!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:28 Jul 31, 2024

Thank you, Sherri !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
09:41 Jul 31, 2024

Paris was the perfect setting. With the Olympics happening, we all have that beautiful city on our minds. You drew us into their relationship and the city so well. I was bracing for a breakup, but you gave us something so much sadder. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:06 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, Karen ! Being a francophile, Paris has always been in my mind. I've sort of been waiting for a prompt to include the fact I speak French in. Hahahahaha ! I'm happy that the sad ending was a surprise. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debbie Wingate
15:25 Jul 30, 2024

Well done! Your talent for epistolary is outstanding. I was invested from the beginning. In reading the other comments, I saw you mentioned you write letters to your partner. It shows. Letter writing is a lost art, but you are keeping it alive. Thank you for sharing such an incredibly creative story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:51 Jul 30, 2024

Hi, Debbie ! I'm so happy you liked the format of the story. Like I said, one of the things I appreciate about letters (and the epistolary format) is how it feels like someone's heart on a page. I guess that's part of why I love them. Yes, I love writing letters to my partner. I always end up tearing up whenever I do that, as well as when he writes me one too (I keep all of his lovely missives to me.). It's true that it's a lost art; all the more reason to continue doing it, I think. Very happy you liked this one. I appreciate your comme...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
23:25 Jul 29, 2024

Outstanding. Didn't see that twist coming at all. Nicely done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:29 Jul 30, 2024

Yay ! I'm happy the twist was surprising. Thanks, TE !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
22:13 Jul 29, 2024

Oh no! So sad. Didn't see the twist coming and with a story like this that's how it should be. You're extremely skillful with the letter format and the love story. Nice to see the French included, which also added to the romance of the piece. Well balanced.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:34 Jul 30, 2024

Hi, Carol ! I'm very happy you liked the story. I was worried that the ending was too abrupt, but I'm glad you liked the shock reveal. Also, I'm happy you liked the French. It was fun letting that francophone and francophile side of me out. Yes, I am a big fan of the epistolary format. The lovely thing about it is that it allows you to go on a deep dive into a character's thoughts and emotions in a natural way. In contrast, I have a hard time with 3rd person. Hahahaha ! As usual, thank you for reading and commenting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.