The Nature of Humanity

Submitted into Contest #143 in response to: Set your story in the woods or on a campground. ... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Crime Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Warning: Substance Abuse/Child Abuse

The Nature of Humanity

Garrett stood at a lean 6ft, or at least he would have had he not developed a stoop. The funny side of life wasn’t lost on him. He had spent his childhood trying to go unnoticed, mainly by his mother and her endless string of boyfriends but also from the other kids at the trailer park who seemed to make it their mission to terrorise him. Now here he was, finally having mastered the art of invisibility. Quite often he would muse that it’s the only skill his mother ever taught him. How to blend and not be seen or heard for fear of the consequences.

Garrett wasn’t sure what ‘love’ was so could not identify his longing for his uncle as love but he did know he missed him. His Uncle Jim was the only person who hadn’t treated him with disdain. Uncle Jim had his own demons since his medical discharge from the Army, but he recognised the barbaric way in which his sister treated Garrett and it made him sick to his stomach. He knew there was no way he could contest custody, but he made a concerted effort to rescue Garrett a few times a week and provide him with a decent home cooked meal.

Jim and Alice had gotten a raw deal when they were kids, so Jim knew all too well the damage that was being caused to Garretts young mind. He couldn’t understand how his sister had fallen into the abuse cycle with her own kid. Alice accused Jim of running away to the Army and maybe he had but at least he’d made a go of his life. She could have too if she’d been inclined. The once pretty Alice was so ravaged by meth by the time he returned he’d barely recognised her. She wasn’t the only one either, it seemed to Jim that the whole town had undergone a hideous transformation during his absence. He resented the people and the town. He had been serving his Country in war torn countries abroad while everyone else had served themselves with poison for a quick high. He wondered now why he had even bothered.

Garrett was different though. Jim whole-heartedly felt for the boy and often wished he had the necessary qualities to father him. He understood his limitations as a caregiver, but he could cook, and he could pass along some skills to help the boy through his youth. It wasn’t much but it was something. Neither Jim nor Garrett were big talkers but for different reasons. Garrett was malnourished for the most part and didn’t have the energy to talk. Talking was a waste of energy when no one listened anyway. Jim had been raised in much the same way, making him insular but a thinker none the less. Jim saw the potential in Garrett. He had an aptitude for hunting and survival skills. He had no doubt that he’d make a fine soldier one day. Jim felt important when he had Garrett over. He had someone who looked up to him, hungry for his knowledge. Garrett was like a sponge which made Jim’s efforts even more fulfilling.

They had an unspoken agreement not to mention the bruises. They were hard to miss but discussing them wouldn’t change anything. All he could do was provide a space where Garrett felt safe, somewhere he could take a breath and just be. Neither of them could have anticipated just how vital the survival skills Jim taught him would be to Garrett’s survival after he passed.

……………………………………………………………………………………………….

“When I told Sean we were hunting here this weekend he started going on about some Mountain man that lives out here in the woods who stalks and kills anyone hunting out here!”

“Oh please! What would Sean know about it, Andy? The closest he gets to the great outdoors is putting the bins out once a week!” Len scoffed.

It was warm day, but a keen breeze stirred the canopies above them. The thicket was tougher to get through than either novice hunter wanted to admit. All bravado but no real experience. Andy had sprained his ankle when he had taken a tumble over a fallen tree trunk. He had face planted a lavender bush and had been sneezing ever since. They had no idea just how quiet you needed to be to hunt, well successfully anyway. Garrett stood mere meters behind them, and they had no idea of his presence. Garrett had perfected the art of being quiet and being still. His survival depended on it. He was in tune with the nuances of the forest. He could even assess the moisture in the ground which told him exactly how stealthy he needed to be.

It amused Garrett that since making the forest his home the rumours about his existence had escalated dramatically. No one had cared about his existence before and now people had turned him into an urban legend! It made him think of the childhood game ‘Chinese whispers’ that he had watched the kids at the trailer park play. These woods were the only place Garrett had ever truly felt at home, and he had all the attributes needed to make it work. Thanks to Jim.

Garret had been making his way to the river when he had overheard the guys talking and laughing raucously. Three canopies made up of the very tall trees, saplings and dogwoods provided excellent shade, but he missed looking up at the stars in the clearing. The shrubs and honeysuckle made the trek to the water more taxing, but it was necessary and made up for the lack of star gazing. The river in the moonlight looked like a diamond encrusted Prussian blue gown flowing in a mid-summer breeze. Spring time typically also brought less visitors to his neck of the woods meaning Garrett could relax about being seen and possibly recognised.

In all the conversations he had overheard over the years no one had ever mentioned the ‘mountain man’ by name. He took solace in that. It was only when he would hear these snippets of conversation, he’d think back on what he’d done. Maybe no one was even looking for him anymore? Maybe the police didn’t care about the death of yet another junkie in their town?

His mother’s words on that day were imprinted into Garrett’s brain. Alice was a hateful arrogant woman. He was used to the vile abuse she would spew but to say those things about the only person who’d ever shown him a little care, just days after his death… Garrett just snapped. He was just as surprised as Alice when he plunged the knife into her abdomen. His only thought after the fact was … blood. So much blood!

Garrett took advantage of the low visibility while the amateurs set up their equipment. He sat and watched as though watching a television show. Listening to the machismo they spouted as their chatter turned to a girl they were both clearly interested in.

BANG.

The men jumped and so did Garrett. Andy let out a scream as he realised Garret was there, appearing more startled by the ‘mountain man’ than the accidental firing of his shotgun. After the initial jolt at the sound Garret felt a warmth spread through his body. His fingers tingled. A sense of peace flooded his mind hitting pause on any thoughts that may have lingered. He heard the birds flee. Their wings in unison sounding like the rush of the river, the gunshot still echoing around the trees.

“Oh God! I didn’t see you man; I didn’t see you!”

Len looked at Garret, every ounce of colour draining from his face.

“We gotta get outa here man! I am still on probation!!” Len screeched.

“You are kidding right?! He’s shot! He’s gonna bleed out!” Andy said with sheer panic straining his voice.

“Exactly! By the time we get down the mountain he’s gonna be dead already! Look, there is nothing we can do here! I aint going back to prison! End of!” Len shouted angrily.

They held each others gaze for a second, processing and weighing up their options in silence. Andy nodded. Leaving all their belongings behind they took off. They tried to run but it was nearly impossible. They were soon out of sight though. Garret was alone once again.

Garrett had heard their words and understood their meaning but could not reconcile that they were about him. He did not feel pain. He stared up at the intricate patterns of the intertwined branches. He could smell the familiar, comforting aroma of the wildflowers that cradled his head, as if their sole purpose were to comfort him. His last breaths synchronised perfectly with the breeze that made the trees sway.

He closed his eyes and listened to the birds as they re-started their chorus. His mind didn’t conjure up images of people. People were ugly but nature was constant and always provided for him. Sustained him. It was beautiful and it was welcoming. It was his home and the wildlife his family.

April 28, 2022 16:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lucas Malan
23:16 May 04, 2022

Hi! Great story, I absolutely love the ending, gave me shivers. The beginning drags on a bit, maybe you could try giving it more action? Not just talking about what happens but also letting things happen, be said in between lines rather than directly? Then again, it is a short story, so there's only so much you can do. I think you did a really great job altogether, a nice link to nature! Keep up the great work

Reply

Cath Atkins
22:50 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks for the feedback 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.