0 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Romance

Suddenly the blaring television caught Elsa's attention; she had been scrolling distractedly through her cell phone when the drama show on the tube mentioned quaint, old Mockingbird Island. The name made her think of her favorite getaway spot with Seth, Cape May Island, a spot along the Jersey Shore well-known for being a hub for migrating birds. Many species of birds would pause there on their trek south for the winter to take a break before crossing over to Delaware. Cape May was also famous for its Victorian houses with Gingerbread trim and for being one of the first vacation spots along the shore. In the early days it had attracted Presidents, other dignitaries, and the rich and famous.

"Ah Seth", Elsa sighed sadly. Her tires had screeched the night before as she pulled out of their driveway in Central Jersey when she screamed in anger, "I'm never coming back!" They had had another full blown, drag out fight that started due to his irrational jealousy, and it had left her seething and determined to make it on her own once again.

Next scene, the TV screen showed a red van with a Building Contractor driving up to a dilapidated home that was obviously getting prepped to be renovated. Elsa thought it strange because Seth drove a red van and worked in construction, and when they stayed in Cape May they stayed at a friend's house that they were helping to fix up. What were the chances that a van like Seth's would be on an island like the one that they frequented and had spent their first weekend together several years before?

Now entranced by the show she was watching, she waited for the next coincidence the television might reveal that mirrored her love life.

Out of the blue, the channel on the television changed itself randomly to a different program. The movie, 'The Wizard of Oz' came on, and was at the part focusing on Dorothy's shoes as she repeated "There's no place like home".

Elsa wondered what the hell was going on, had she lost her mind? Another interruption as an old music video came on playing the song that she and Seth had chosen to be their song, 'Unchained Melody', and the Righteous Brothers were singing '...a lonely river flows to the sea, to the sea...' making her feel guilty for leaving Seth the way she had so abruptly. Elsa knew his jealousy was annoying, but it did mean he did love her. Maybe she shouldn't have reacted so impulsively.

Feeling somewhat guilty, Elsa flung her purse on her shoulder and grabbed her car keys as she swiftly left the room she was renting. Her luggage was still in her silver BMW convertible. She didn't even bother to stop at the front desk! All she wanted to do was get down to Cape May; she knew Seth was heading there for the weekend that morning. Exactly why she needed to get to the island she wasn't sure; Elsa just felt compelled to get down there, and quick, to try to patch things up with Seth as soon as possible.

When Elsa turned the key in the ignition, the radio came on blasting a song from the CD she and Seth always listened to when they hit the highway, 'On The Way To Cape May'. "No frigging way," Elsa rolled around the weird occurrences of the morning in her mind as she peeled out of the parking lot of the hotel where she had been staying. She wasn't sure why, but felt an urgent need to meet up with him as soon as possible.

The morning disc jockeys came on and they mentioned the date. Elsa hadn't even realized that today was the tenth anniversary of that fateful day that she had met Seth on the Cape May-Lewes ferry, Twin Capes.

It had been a stormy, windy day, and msking the hour long crossing had been a tremulous undertaking; the four foot high swells in the ocean had been rocking the boat wildly to and fro. Unexpectedly, the boat careened to the right and Elsa had lost her balance and fallen clumsily into Seth's arms, a complete stranger, who had been standing next to her as she made her way down the deck. Had he not been there, Elsa might have flown over the railing and landed in the freezing cold sea!

The radio stations in the car kept flipping around, playing different songs on its own. All of them had special meaning for the young couple-the first song they had danced to, their favorite songs to listen to when they made love, and just some melodies and words they enjoyed singing to each other to recount the happy times. Periodically, the DJ's would come on and mention familiar places and events that had occurred throughout their many years together.

Was this really happening or was Elsa just applying everything being said into something meaningful from her relationship with Seth. As she blindly drove along the lanes of the parkway that would soon reach Exit 0, Elsa recalled many of the good and the bad times they had shared.

When she finally reached the traffic light at the end of the highway, it quickly turned red. Feeling frustrated, and not exactly sure why she had even come down, Elsa hit the radio button to shut it off. She had begun to wonder if the radio was just mocking her, mirroring her feelings, or simply driving her crazy. She couldn't believe that every word, story, and song was referring to her and Seth but it sure did seem that way.

Undecided as to which direction to take when she reached the bustling center of the small cape town, Elsa insinctively headed for the beach house where they usually stayed on The Point. It was near the tall, white lighthouse with the red top that had guided many a lost ship to shore.

When she reached the house it was vacant-not a person or car in sight. Elsa attempted to park her Beemer in front of the house, but it crept closer to the mass of evergreen bushes and wild roses that lined the road the along beach under its own power.

Stunned as the driver's side door opened itself, she exited the car and walked up the sandy dune. When she reached the top, her brain couldn't believe what her eyes were seeing. Was it a mirage, a dream, a hallucination, or something else?

Seth was standing there by the water's edge in a white tuxedo surrounded by their closest friends and family, all looking and waiting for what she wondered? For her to appear? And was that a Minister standing in front of him? Or was she just imagining all of it? Abruptly, her phone made a loud pinging noise...

February 29, 2024 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.