2 comments

General

It was a cold night, I was frantically rehearsing my lines for my play. It was William Shakespeare's "Othello". I played the role of Iago. He was the main antagonist of the play.

I had really tried to get into his character in the last few days. I researched everything that people did in Shakespeare's era. I even took an online course in Elizabethan English.

I sat by the lit fireplace in my house, basking in its warmth. The play was the very next day and I was very nervous. I kept getting stuck in the fifth act of the play.

I would be performing in front of more than a hundred people and I did not want to mess it up. I decided I did not want to overload myself before the big day, so I took a break.

I drank some water and ate my dinner. Then I opened up my computer to look up some tips. I went to various websites and they all said the same thing.

So after that, I listened to some music while I tried to calm down. I am kind of nervous in front of large crowds, but I got roped into the play anyway. It was part of a college festival kind of thing.

It was now eleven o'clock at night. I then looked through the play again, rehearsing all my lines. Then I eventually slept an uncomfortable sleep, plagued by nervousness and worry.

I got up to rain the very next morning. It was five o'clock and I had to be there by eight. I quickly freshened up and packed my costume into my suitcase. I ordered a cab and left.

I reached the auditorium and went to the dressing room. I was greeted by the security guard and I flashed my card. He let me inside.

Inside were all the other actors, producers, and the director. The director was a strict but talented man. He said as I entered, "Well, hello there! Get over here!". I strode confidently to him, determined not to show my nervousness.

"Get into costume," he told me and left to answer a call. I went to the washroom and changed my self. I sat down on my chair and started rehearsing my lines.

"How you doing?" said a voice. I looked up to see my friend Charles coming towards me. He was playing the role of Othello himself. "Just fine!" I replied.

"You don't look very fine," he said.

"Just nervous, that's all," I replied.

"Ah. Don't worry, you'll be fine."

"I know, but I can't help it."

"You know what?" he pulled a chair and sat in it."I'm gonna need to give you a lesson"

"You really don't need to-" I started but he cut me off with a wave of his hand.

"You need this. First of all, don't focus on yourself but on entertaining your audience. Second, don't scare yourself with unnecessary thoughts..."

He went on and on about how to conquer stage fright. I listened intently and tried to absorb everything he was saying. But doubt still lurked in the corners of my mind. Then he left and so did the rain.

Then I went on to read through my script again. It was several pages long. I had been practicing for a long time but nothing prepared me to face the actual day.

I was sweating even though the play was two hours away. Then the director returned and went to every actor and helped them rehearse.

Then he came to me. He asked me to start my lines. I began but it had a very weak tone to it. He stopped me and asked me to continue again but with more confidence.

I tried, really. But all the pressure made me stutter and sweat like a madman. The director sighed and told me to gather my wits. Then he went on to the rest of the cast.

I went through my script again and again. Then I turned to the mirror and stared at myself. My eyes were drawn and my face pale.

At that point, I was ready to give up.

But I couldn't. I couldn't let myself or my crew down just because I was scared. I looked into my reflection with fierce determination. I picked up the script and acted out my lines with such fire that it surprised me too.

The director noticed this and came back. He just stood by while I Spoke my lines like it was nothing else. "So," he said, "found your inner actor?"

"I believe I have," I replied.

"Good," he said, then turned and spoke to the whole cast, "This is the type of fire we need. He was a bumbling heap and now look at him. Determination. Come on, guys. We can do this."

This stirred up everyone and they all started cheering. I joined in.

There was only half an hour left now. Guests were pouring in and our narrator was giving the introductions to the play and its characters. All of us actors were revising our scripts last minute. The make-up artists were checking everyone's costumes and appearances.

The narrator was now hyping the guests for the play. We were all frantically running around getting everything ready. The spotlight and prop handlers stationed themselves. Everyone got into position.

Then the narrator said," Act 1, Scene 1. A street in Venice. Enter Roderigo and Iago."

The actor who played Roderigo and I walked onto the stage and started our dialogues. He started, "Tush, never tell me; I take it much unkindly....." and the play went on. At first, I was nervous.

Then I channeled some of the earlier fire into me and my voice became much surer and confident. We took a small break after each scene so we could catch our breath.

The play went smoothly. I had fun but at the end of the day, I was exhausted. The pre-performance jitters had messed me up initially, but I got warmed up later.

Even though I played the villain, I felt like a hero in the end. It was life-changing and I was thinking that I could play further parts in the future, which I did.

I played roles in plays like Julius Caeser, Merchant Of Venice, Hamlet. Even in other languages like Sanskrit (Vikramorvashiyam, by an Indian poet.), Spanish (The Trickster of Seville and the Stone Guest, by a Spanish dramatist.), et cetera.

After the play, all of us went out to dinner and had a lot of fun. I had finally gotten over my stage fright. I will probably not have pre-performance jitters again, or would I?

July 12, 2020 13:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Quill Porter
23:11 Jul 22, 2020

I think this was a nice story, although I thought the way you stressed about pre-performance jitters was a bit light and a few words were spelled wrong but still acceptable. Great job!

Reply

Advik Godbole
09:51 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.