Lisa Finally Goes to a Party

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write about a reluctant party-goer who ends up being the star of the show.... view prompt

1 comment

Friendship Teens & Young Adult Crime

Lisa a young high school student at seventeen years old just moved. To a new school not knowing anyone there she kept to her self. She is a shy girl does not talk to anyone all she does is go to school and comes home. Her mother is worried about her because she use to be so out going. She played on the basketball team she went to parties. But she no longer does any of that and her mom does not know why.

She has asked Lisa a couple of times but all Lisa does is shrug her shoulders. Lisa’s mother try’s to get her out more doing stuff to make friends. After a few months in school Lisa starts to come out of her shy bubble. Every so often in the hall’s of the school people say high to her. Lisa of course says high back after a few more short exchanges. In the hall she starts talking to people and making friends.

But Lisa still wont go any where probably because she is not that well known. Or she does not know that many people. One day when the school year is half over Lisa is at her locker. A young man walks up to her saying.

Young man: ( Hello Lisa right?)

Lisa: ( Yes I am Lisa. Who are you?)

Young man: ( Oh I am sorry I am Ben.)

Lisa: ( Well hi Ben. What do you want?)

Ben: ( Well I am having a party this weekend. I wanted to know if you would come so you could meet people. Possibly make some more friends.)

Lisa: ( Well thanks for the invite but I do not know. I am a new person at this school I do not think it be a good idea.)

Ben: ( It is a good idea you will meet people. Make new friends if you are worried it is a prank and people will bully you. They wont not at my party my dad is a cop and does not go for any of that.)

Lisa : ( Okay let me think it over.)

Ben: ( That is all I want. Here is my address if you need a ride let me know.)

Lisa: ( Okay.)

The bell rings everyone heads back to class Lisa has a big smile on her face. As she goes back to class her friends see this Lisa sits down. Her friends whisper to her asking her why she is smiling Lisa whispers back. Telling them what happened in the hall her friends look at her shocked.

Friend: ( You need to go.)

Lisa: (I don’t know. Why should I go?)

Friend: ( Well if you go that mean we can go.)

Lisa: ( I have not been to a party in forever.)

Friend: ( We have your back girl. Do not worry.)

Lisa: ( Okay let me think it over. I will let you know by supper time tonight.)

School goes on Lisa can barely pay attention to any of the teacher’s. With the thought of the party in the back of her mind. Trying to decide to go or not she does not want to let her friends down. By not going to the party on the other hand she just does not like parties.

School finally ends her friends trying to track her down. But they can not find her any where. Lisa has her head down walking through school she skips going to her locker. As she heads straight out the door skips getting on the bus deciding to walk home. She just wants left alone as she struggles to make her decision about this party.

On her walk home she is back and forth about it trying to weigh out. The good and bad about this party she moved here with her mom. Because of what happened at the last party. She bullied at that party because of who she hung out with. At that school if you was not popular you was nothing. Lisa was popular at that school but she hung out with unpopular people.

Lisa go bullied so bad she could not even walk down the street in her town. Without being made fun of her mom, did the only thing she could which was move. But this party she thought maybe just maybe be different. But in the back her mind saying ( no it wont be different it is going to be the same.) This place has to be different not every place is the same she hoped.

Lisa arrives home walks in the door drops her school stuff on the table. Looks at her mom she notices her mom had a worried look on her face. Lisa says.

Lisa: ( Mom what is wrong.)

Mom: (Your friend called the could not find you at school. Plus you was not on the bus what happened.)

Lisa: ( Oh I am sorry I did not mean to worry you. I had to think so I wanted left alone.)

Mom: ( Why? What happened? Did something happen at school?)

Lisa: ( Well you could say that. I got invited to go to a party.)

Mom: ( Really! That is great sweetie.)

Lisa: ( Really mom? Did you forget what happened at the last party?)

Mom: ( No sweetie. I did not. But you can not hold that against the kids here.)

Lisa: ( Mom! It is on the internet. They probably seen it and just want to make fun of me.)

Mom: ( Your friend and I had a long discussion about this party. I also told them what happened to you at the last school.)

Lisa: ( WHY MOM! )

Mom: ( Because they deserve to know what happened to you. Also for the reason you are acting the way they you are. They also told me who invited you and that his dad does not leave during the party. Also that these people who invited you do not put up with bullying. You need people like this in your life so end of discussion you are going.)

Lisa: ( Okay mom.)

After supper Lisa’s friends show up to her house eagerly waiting for party time. Slowly time tick’s by finally the time has come they all pile into her moms car. Lisa gets so nervous as they move closer and closer. To Ben’s house they round the corner to his house. It is like the entire school is here all three girl’s walk up to the door. You can hear the music from down the block there is a paper on the door. That reads ( Come on in).

Lisa look’s at her two friends turns the door knob walking in. The music shuts off everyone looks over at the door sees Lisa and her friend. Ben walk’s up to Lisa grabs her hand lightly pulling her to the center of the room. Ben looks at everyone Lisa’s stomach begins turn hurt. As Lisa thinks to herself ( Oh great here we go again I new I should not have come. I told my mom this would happen. I am about to be bullied again. All because they seen it on the internet why did I agree to come.) Ben begins to speak.

Ben: ( Lisa I have to admit we all seen what happened to you. At your last school we want you to know. That we are not like that everyone in this house stand against bullying. We actually stream our party live so people who get bullied. That are the out cast at their school can go to a party.)

Lisa: ( Wow really!)

Ben: ( Yes look you see that camera. You are live across the the world at a party across the world.)

Lisa’s smile disappears from her face looks to the floor.

Ben: ( What is the matter?)

Lisa: ( My old School can see this they will cause problems for me.)

Ben: ( No they will not all of us stand behind you.)

Lisa looks up at Ben with a smile the music starts playing again. Everyone is dancing drinking pop having snack’s. Everything seems to be going right for Lisa than out of no where car horns start going off. Yelling start to come from out side everyone from the party walks out side. The kids from Lisa’s last school was there one of the kids yells.

Kid: ( Hey where is that loser Lisa?)

Ben: ( None of you business. You need to leave before cops get involved.)

Kid: ( Ooooh cops like I am scared.)

Lisa walks up behind Ben grabs his are whisper’s in his ear. ( I got this I can not hide forever.) Ben looks down at Lisa whisper’s ( you do not have to this is my party I will deal with it.) Lisa walk’s to the edge of the yard looks at the car. Where the kid was yelling from look at the car with it’s head light’s on begins to say.

Lisa: ( Mike! I know that is you I remember you car.)

Mike: ( So your point is what.)

The car revs up then rolls forward Lisa remains in place not moving.

Lisa: ( My point is you have nothing better to do. Than travel three towns over just to try and bully me once again. I wonder what your girl friend would think of you coming all this way to see me.)

Mike: ( My girl friend is in the car with me.)

Lisa: ( No she is not I see three other shadows. And those shadows are the size of guys on the foot ball team.)

Mike: ( You are going to get it now.)

Mike puts the car in park gets out start to walk up to Lisa.Mike’s three friends follow him they all crowd around her. Lisa still not moving all three boys push Lisa back and forth. Calling her names none of them aware that Lisa whispered to Ben to get the camera. To film what ever happens to her so from the porch Ben is filming. Five people from the party call the cops loads more from across the internet call to.

With in minutes every cop in town show up surrounding. The house and block so no one can leave the area. After Lisa’s bully and his friends get arrested all the cops leave. The party is back on everyone is talking to Lisa getting her drinks food whatever she wanted.

Lisa became so popular that night that it carried over into the rest of the school year. From just one night standing her ground against a bully she became a bright shinning star in the school. Also one of the most popular girls in school making sure no one else ever gets bullied again. While she is around in school.

May 11, 2021 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jimena Escobar
18:48 May 17, 2021

I liked that we were never told what happened to Lisa in her old school that made her want to skip town. It made the story mysterious and made me want to know more. The courage she had in her to face the bully(Mike) was amazing. However, I am still left confused about many things. Why did Ben feel the need to be kind to her? Did he have a crush on Lisa or did his father (the cop) force him to invite her to the party because he knows what happened on at her old school? I'm also confused as to how she suddenly became popular and a "bright shi...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.