Honey and Spice

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

African American Friendship Romance

Sweat forms on my brow. My skin was exposed to the sun, and even with the cool air, it was still scorching. I lift my eyes to block the peaking light from the trees. The fiery leaves of the board tree in front of me ruffles. A few leaves part from the branches, drifting off in the wind. My eyes lock with amber ones. I drop the basket I held and round, ripen apples roll on the dirt ground.

¨Atlas!¨

My head snaps to an angry, older woman. Her face was sunken, her lips pursed as her arms were crossed. The lines on her forehead deepened. Her black eyes grew into a deep abyss destroying those who dare to look into them.

¨ What is up with your child! Your mind is always up in the clouds. Is your attention span so small?!¨

I lower my head as the other girls glance my way in pity. I did not say anything. I refuse to muster anything from my trembling lips. Casually, my irisś look up at the golden, scarlet tree. For this reason, I was so aroused in the first place. The person I saw in the tree is still there. In fact, he did not hide his presence but only I had noticed him. He smirked at me, and an amused look grazed his face while he was watching all the events unfold before him. He made fun of my troubles and teased my slip-ups. My face heats up.

¨ I am over here! Listen as I talk- You know what, never mind.¨ The mistress yelled.

Mistress Jade steps closer to me, fuming and hot-headed.

¨Please do not ruin this week with your carelessness. Be back in the kitchen with new, fresh apples picked. Then you can start the finish the cooking by yourself!¨

My eyes widen. My shoulders slump. I can not do that. My family is waiting for me to come home. That´s what I wanted to say, but I didn't.

The mistress huffed and left me behind. The girls follow her. Some of the girls pat my back for comfort. I nodded at them, showing a small smile. One by one, they left me all alone. Alone with him, who I now have to deal with. I roll my eyes as I walk into the deep forest filled with apples.

A figure jumps down and follows after me. He casually takes the basket from my grasps and grins at me. This is your fault, I utter in my mind.

¨Please don´t go around saying that F word.¨

I glared at him and took my basket back. It is your fault. 

¨Itś, not my fault you should have been paying attention. You do have a small-¨

I stop in my tracks, turn to him, and walk towards him. He backs up, his smile dropping.

¨ It is your fault. This was my only day to visit my family with the other girls, but now, now I-! This is your fault! It's always been.¨

I whispered the last part and put my head down. Oh, what have I done? I shouldn't have yelled. Tears threaten to spill from my eyes. I blink them away and resume searching for ripe apples. The absence of his footsteps gave me hope he would leave, but he caught up to me again. 

Heat trace up my arms and my back as he embraces me. 

¨Forgive me, Atlas. I had no idea my actions would cause this.¨

I slip out of his arms.

¨No, I shouldn't have yelled. I should be asking for forgiveness your highness.¨ 

The prince sighed. ¨Stop calling me that, it´s weird coming from you.¨ He mumbled under his breath.

We stayed silent, as we both picked off apples from the trees that still had them. After a while, we met back with each other. I look at the few apples he grasped and raise a brow at him.

¨What? Are these not good enough for your mistress,¨ He asked.

You do know those are not yet ripe, right? Mine won't be enough. We need them this week. ¨

¨I can always purchase apples from the town.¨

¨Yes, but the Miss does not want them.¨ She said it wouldn't be appropriate for commoners goods to fit the standards of royalty.¨

He furrows his rows and chuckles.

¨They are just apples, Atlas. There's nothing different about those and these. Ill go to the market right now to get them for you.¨

He grins and starts marching away, but I stop him.

¨Please, don´t go there,¨ I tried to prevent him.

 He turns to me and smiles

¨I think those apples fit mine and my father's standards just fine. I'll be back Atlas, wait for me in the kitchen.¨

--------------------

The Prince 

I jog away from Atlas before she could stop me. She´s always been like this and it got worse as we grew up. People made sure to warn of us of our status and purpose. She wanted to put a wedge between our friendship, but I can't do that. I´ll always fight for her when I can.

I reach my room and grab a bandana, a black cloak, and a mask. I made sure no one saw me leave, then I headed out to the market place. 

The sun is bright and scorching. I guess this is why my father avoids going out for too long. He tries to keep his light color as long as he can. Although, no one told him that he´s already getting darker. I smiled at myself. Besides that, I remember the time we would come here every other weekend. It was and is always so bustling and cheerful here. 

After purchasing the apples I come across a store filled with spices and condiments. It's one of the oldest shops here, and it´s filled with many memories. It was where I met Atlas. I snapped out the rushing memories I began to remember.

¨Prince Won, what are you doing here?¨ Someone asked in a hushed tone. They approach me and I can see it´s one of the palace guards, but another friend of mine. I lift the bag of apples and grinned at him. How did he know it was me?

¨You could at least change your mask. It´s too easy to find you. Also, don´t grin at me. You´re supposed to be in the study room,¨ he hissed.

I roll my eyes. ¨ Oh come on Daniel- I´m not even here for that long.¨

Daniel crosses his arms and taps his foot aggressively.

¨I´ll come back soon, yeah?¨ I back away, but he grabs my cloak to stop me. I groaned.

¨Come one, Dan. Are we not friends?¨

¨ Of course we are! As a friend, I'm to make sure you're doing the right thing.¨

¨ You´ll be doing right by giving me freedom.¨ I said. 

Daniel stares at me in a bored tone.

¨ Ill give you some of Atlas candy apples,¨ I tempt.

He perks up to the offer and starts considered.

 ¨Fine, but not too long after evening.¨ 

I slapped his back and thanked him. That was way too easy. They say a way to a man's heart is his stomach. It seems to be all too true for Daniel. I snickered to myself as I continue searching for items. I end up buying Honey and different spices.

I exit the shop and look at more places. Dan, of course, comes along to make sure I come back. Where else would I go? I approach a store and besides it was a mother and her child who was whaling. I approached them and crouch beside the mother, trying to console her kid.

¨Hey what's wrong little guy,¨ I said as I pat his head. He blinks with his big, blue eyes, but he cries louder this time which attracts a few glares. The mother picks up her son and walks away, furious.

Besides me, Daniel stifles a laugh. I glared at him. It's not that funny.

¨That was too funny.¨ He said

¨ I didn't even do anything wrong.¨

He chuckles. ¨Yeah, but you scared him.¨

I sighed and walked away from him. He laughs and catches up to me.

¨ Had enough today?¨ He teased

Whatever, I mutter under my breath. We head back to the palace and both climb over the walls. 

¨You should take that off before you scare Atlas!¨ Daniel suggested as he left and waved. I shake my head and take the mask off along with the cloak and bandana. Then I rushed over to the kitchen

There was no one present but Atlas. She stood by a window washing and peeling some of the apples. Her hair shines in the light and her form is small but strong. I approach her slight, accidentally knocking a plate to the floor. She whips around with a concerned look. When she saw it was me, she shook her head and hurried to help me pick the broken glass up. I grab her hand to stop her from touching it, as I cleaned them all up. She pulled away from my grapes and picks up my hands, studying it. Atlas brushed them and I stared intently at her while she. In hesitation, she looks up to meet my eyes. I didn't look away, but unfortunately, she did and went back to her work.

I assisted in rinsing the apples and making the mix of the honey and spices. It was quiet. Too quiet for me.

¨Hey, Atlas am I scary?¨ I suddenly ask her.

She cocks her head, but eventually, she answers me.

¨You´re not scary, in fact, everyone adores you for your kindness. Although it seems that they are acting casual around you, they deeply respect you. In the past years, you´ve made many happy.

¨What about you? Do you feel the same¨, I asked cautiously. She stops coating the apples for a bit. She slowly turns to me.

¨I deeply respect you. ¨

¨And adore me?¨ She stayed quiet at this and turned around to her work. I approached her and stopped her from continuing. I pulled her into a hug. ¨I adore you, Atlas. You had always been there for me.¨

She tries to pull away but I held her tighter. I don't care what they say. I'll always stay by your side, I told her. 

¨You´ll be betrothed soon,¨ she replied. I let the air sit quietly for a moment before replying. 

¨ No. I won't leave.¨

¨You´ll be king in due time and I´ll be forgotten. You will have so much to do that I´ll be a passing breeze. We won´t be together¨ 

I turn her around. ¨I´ll make sure to change that. I´ll change your mind and I´ll make you mine,¨ I told her. Her eyes began to water and her mouth was left agape. I leaned closer to her and she flinched. Eventually, her eyes closed. I smile at her and leaned it, pecking her forehead then her cheek. I let go and start coating the apples. Her eyes fluttered open and she stares at me. 

Ï smile at her. ¨Were you expecting something else?¨ I teased.

¨ No! I- I´ll just do my work over there!¨ She said as she moved to another part of the kitchen. However, I followed her and chuckled as she recklessly coats the apples in the Honey spice mixture. 

October 17, 2020 03:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.