It's a Small Town After All

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in a small town.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

She has always grown up under the lights and heights of the big city. For the most part, she revels in the energy buzzing around her; the people rushing from sidewalk to crosswalk with a fresh cup of coffee in their hand-- the rows of cars pushing through the morning commute. But lately, the liveliness has been making her feel... less alive. It's becoming to be the same old routine. Get up in the morning. Grab breakfast at an overpriced coffee shop chain. Rush to the full time office job-- that's easy yet not challenging. She knew she was meant for more than this. Everyone says that, but no one does anything about it. But one day, her eyes scattered to an opportunity online; "Small town 30 minutes out seeking college graduate for teaching assistant at local high school-- full time position. Pays generously." Surely a Facebook job section could not be misleading, right? All it took was one application, and a few days later, off she went to an interview! So, taking a risk she never did before, with really nothing to lose besides the comfort of her home, she set off to give things a shot.

30 minutes away did not seem like a distance, but man was she wrong. She felt like she was in a whole different state, maybe even a whole different country. There were some recognizable places-- nearly every town had a gas station and a McDonald's. But the place was cute and very picturesque. Small brick buildings lined the sides of a long and skinny road; with trees along sidewalks sitting in front of the buildings like welcome mats. The woman was excited to see local businesses speaking to her over the loud corporations; locals thriving under their own hard work and putting something unique into the world. She walked into a local bakery and coffee shop; the smells of freshly baked breads, the warm and nutty scents of coffee tickling her nose, and the colors of decorated cookies, donuts, and various other desserts teasing her vision. An older man was standing at the counter, looking like he had a million stories to tell about this town.

"Welcome to Gene's Bake Shop," his crystal blue eyes crinkled with a smile, as he outstretched his arms in a welcoming gesture, "I am Gene, surprisingly. But I don't think I know you... and I know everyone around here."

The woman chuckled at his enthusiasm and humorous tone, "Yes, I am actually here for a job interview in town... and hopefully it goes well. I just need a little pick-me-up before I go; I always stop by a coffee shop." And then the woman remembered she did not introduce herself, startled by her own carelessness, "Oh, and my name is Jenna," she outstretched her hand as Gene shook it with a smile. As he was doing so, he looked her up and down; eyeing her professional suit, polished makeup, and brunette bun.

"I thought so... you look like one of those city types. Not that I'm judging, just... not a lot of people dress up this fancy around here."

Jenna nodded understandingly, "Yeah, well... neither do I most of the time. I just wanted to make a good impression."

"Where are you applying to?" Gene asked, and then added, "Oh yeah, I didn't even ask you what you wanted... what would you like, Ms. Jenna?" He took out a notepad and pencil, which just seemed to add to the charm of the town to Jenna... being away from the screens and registers already put her more at ease.

"Well..." she looked up at the menu, all on black chalkboards in various colors of chalk, with doodles of coffee, desserts, and even flowers and stars. A smile crept upon her face... "I will have a medium Cocoa and cream latte and a chocolate chip caramel drizzle donut," she looked at Gene with sparkles in her eyes. Her love of coffee and dessert along with the childlike style of the menu brought back a joy in her. Possibly a joy not even caffeine or sugar could bring.

"You got it," Gene gave her a thumbs up, "I will set up your coffee and get your donut. Also, I'm taking a break soon... obviously the place is so busy..." Gene joked as he gestured to the otherwise empty cafe, "So if you see a younger guy come out, it won't be me having gone through a time machine," he said as Jenna giggled a bit, "it will be my much more youthful son."

"Oh?" Jenna raised a brow, "Good to know." Ahh... men. As Gene finished up setting up the coffee to brew and headed back deep into the bowels of the cafe, Jenna thought the last thing she would need is a man. Men are distractions-- all they do is put women's goals in the back or bury them deep in the ground, while men get to grow and flourish to whatever they wanted to become. Jenna did not need that. As she was lost in her thoughts, he came out. The younger man. Jenna caught his shape through the corner of her eye; tall, short dark hair, a long and slim face with high cheekbones, and some cool colored eyes-- maybe even hazel. He wore a maroon sweater and medium blue colored jeans. Average, Jenna thought. But then the man walked over to the counter, almost with a shocked look on his face.

"Jenna? Jenna Lieberman?" he questioned, even slightly leaning over the counter, with Jenna still standing back a fair distance away. Jenna looked at him like he'd lost his everloving mind.


"Yes? How do you know my name, you creep?" her tone changed drastically, from friendly to accusatory-- maybe even defensive. She did not need this right now. She just wanted her coffee and donut and to get out-- NOW. She suddenly froze, almost as if her body were trying to cocoon itself.


"Are you ok? I mean, you don't remember me? From elementary school? And basically all the way until high school?" Jenna shook her head no, rapidly. The man sighed.


"Of course you don't... we were on two different playing fields. But I always thought you were cool." Jenna raised a brow.


"What are you talking about? I still don't even know who you are." His sigh echoed again, sounding heavier this time.


"Teddy Cavallari. I was one of the nerdiest guys ever, playing Yu-Gi-Oh cards at the Japanese culture club meetings? I always saw you there but I could never get out of my own bubble," he chuckled, looking sheepishly at Jenna, who was staring hard at him.


Yes... oh my God. His face. His body is so different. But his face... he was... uhh... overweight. With long hair. But now... But. I don't even know him at all. But he thinks I'm cool? What?


"Hello? Jenna? Earth to Jenna?" This time Teddy was already on the other side, standing in front of her. Jenna jumped back with a yelp.


"How in the hell did you already get here?!" she blurted. Teddy couldn't help but laugh a little.


"Man you were really zoned out, huh? Let me get your coffee and donut then, because you really need it," he somewhat teased her, and Jenna crossed her arms.


"Yeah whatever," she mumbled more to herself, but then said to the whole empty cafe and Teddy, "just please hurry up because I might be late to my interview." Teddy looked back at her, and gave her a thumbs up.


"You got it," he echoed his father's mannerism.


Looks like a small town just became even smaller.

September 22, 2019 06:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.