All about Kate

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in the desert. ... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

He was so hot. The sun beat down as he took another step. He lifted his water jug and felt the last drops dribble down his face. His lips were cracked and the drop of water made the blood burn. He clicked his tongue, as dry as sand. Like he needed any more of that around. He took a look at the vast desert. The sand spread until it hit the ripple of the sun at the end of the horizon. A few cactus blobs were in the distance but too far away. He wouldn’t make it. He knew he was going to die. 

The sun was blazing hot. He opened his eyes and closed them again. He realized he was lying on the ground. He must have passed out again. He tried to stand, grabbing onto some solid part of the air, but stumbled back into the sand. He was losing track of time. She left this world 17, 18 days, maybe a month ago. It felt like years. He knew he didn’t have much more time left. He wondered how he’d even made it this long.  

How had he escaped? One minute he was with her and the next he was plucked right up and dropped in the hot desert. It used to be their happy place with their horses. But the horses have run away and she’s dead. All he could do was walk to give his days purpose. He could only hope he would leave in his sleep. He didn’t want to suffer like she did. Months of suffering until her body finally gave out in that cold hospital room. At least he had the sun and the sand even if he had lost his mind.

He sauntered on until he bumped into something that didn’t exist and his legs collapsed under him. He allowed himself to fall in the soft sand. He curled up in it’s warmth. This was it. He understood that now. This was the furthest he could go and he would wait patiently in this very spot until the end. He closed his eyes and felt the heat on the lids. He smiled up at the world ready to be taken. 

After what might have been hours or maybe just minutes, the sun dimmed and the air cooled around him. Particles of sand lifted, blowing around his feet.  

“Ouch.”

Something must have bit his ankle. It was sharp and he felt pain there but didn’t see anything. He felt weak and swayed with the wind.  

“Alexander.”

He opened his eyes startled.  

“Alex can you hear me?”

He tried to push himself up on his arm but collapsed again.

“Alex, stand up!”

He looked to see where this voice was coming from.

“Alexander, look at me!”

A funny shape was created out of the wind. It looked like a face made out of the sand moving towards him.

“Alex!” 

The sand face grew arms and was shaking his leaf-like body. He jerked forward and back unable to resist. The face passed through his becoming a crumpled pile of sand. He closed his eyes to keep the sand out. He kept them shut, chest breathing hard from the traumatic encounter with the ghost. All was quiet for a minute. 

“Alex, open your eyes.”

He complied and jolted backwards. It was not a sand monster in front of him but a person. Could it be that another person was stranded out here?  

“How are you h-”

“Shh, it’s okay. Can you stand up?”

He looked around and noticed the street, the garbage can on the corner, the small empty plastic bag on his lap. Where did all the sand go? How had he gotten here? He sniffed and realized he smelled like pee. His throat was so dry.

“Water.”

“Here, drink.”  

The man handed him his half empty plastic water bottle. He put it to his lips and felt such relief as the tepid water slid down his throat. He chugged the rest and crushed the plastic for any last drops. 

“Linus?”

His eyes focused enough for him to recognize his coworker.

“Let’s go.”

He dropped the bottle, took Linus’ hand and pushed up against the concrete wall to stand.  

“Where do you live?”

Linus took a good look at his face. The weathered look of his face, his eyes crossing again.

“Stay with me, Alex. We’re going to the hospital.”

“No. Let me go,” he mumbled.

He turned to walk in the opposite direction. He couldn’t go there. Anywhere but there. He wanted the cool sand to envelop him again until he could drift off into eternity. Linus grabbed his arm, revealing a grotesque rash. He recoiled immediately. 

“We are going, Alex. This way.”

He couldn’t protest and with some help they made it to the hospital. He was having trouble walking and was relieved when he started floating. Too much walking in the desert. It was good to be pushed. The lights were bright and it was loud.

“No! Get me out.”

He flailed his arms and legs.

“Oh Alex what have you become?” 

They laid him on a bed. The chill in his arm made his head less dizzy. He wondered if it was her same room. He didn’t want to leave the world in this place. Not like her. Too bad all the pills were gone. He would have taken another if it would bring him to her. He fumbled with the tube emitting the cold into him. He tried to scratch the needle out of his hand. He stuffed it in his pocket and rubbed it back and forth. Then he felt the plastic. He pulled it out and put it close to his eyes begging them to focus. That’s when he saw it. The pills with the smiley face. He giggled. The pills giggled back.  

“I’ll take you back to the desert,” they said.

“And then to her?”

They shook in return.

“I’ll see you soon, Kate.”

He swallowed them all. 

September 27, 2019 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.