Tellies, tellies, tellys or tellys. Walking into walls.Ouch!!

Written in response to: Start your story with a character finding a retro piece of tech they don’t recognize.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Christian Teens & Young Adult

Dear Children and Young Adults of the 2,000’s,


How are you?


Question #1.

When was the last time you wrote a letter?

A bonafide letter to a person?

A friend.

An enemy.

A teacher.

A parent.

A coach.

A mentor.

A cousin.

A flat Stanley assigned pen pal from the other side of the globe?


Question #2.

Have you ever heard the term “snail mail?

What comes to your mind when you think of “snail mail.”

Fast?

Slow?

Patience?

Impatience?

Anticipation?

Dread?

Happiness?

Someone cares?

Someone does not care?


Question #3.

Did you know, there was a day, a day in time, when a monitor was a walking, talking human?

Yep.

A walking.

A talking.

A breathing.

A seeing.

A touching.

A hearing.

A smelling.

A tasting.

Human.

And of course man’s best friend,

The dog.


Question #4.

When was the last time you printed a letter, used cursive letter?

No. Not with your keyboard.

No.Not with dictation into a hand held recording device.

No. Not with a typewriter.


Oh. Wait.


A typewriter IS a sort of hand held device. Although. I intensely challenge anyone to employ its “to go” mentality.

These hand held devices are a bit clunky, hard to carry

Words don’t mean.

People mean.

No. Not with having to testify your faults, failings and mistakes in person.

No. Not quite a “world at your fingertips” experience.


Question #5.

Did you know?

We shortchange ourselves each and every day.

When we awake.

Yep.

We do that.

We all do it.

No monitor in all the world is faster than the fastest.

No monitor in the world is slower than the slowest.

No monitor types faster than another—really………

We really should challenge ourselves to be better.


Challenge me on this point all you may like.


Question #6.

Did you know—now brace yourselves for this one. We—persons over the age of 55, 60,65 had to get up off of our duffs and actually change the channel on the big box o fun wherein we sought entertainment, news of the day, and other interesting documentaries?


Yep.

Off.

Our.

Duffs.


Question #7.

Did you know that a remote meant something entirely different in the good ole ancient times of the 50’s, 60’s and so on.

Yep.

Remote.

Did not do the work for us.

When they came on the scene, the obesity rate in American took not a plunge, but a rise.

More sedentary sitting for the masses.

We thought life was grand.


Question 8.

Did you know.

A Telly is a Telly is the telly and the telly.

A phone.

A landline.

A big box with a plug that goes into the wall as the only view to the window to the world.

Yep.

The big box was called the “Television”, the T.V. for short, an abbreviation.

The other apparatus, the other telly, was a landline telephone with a long chord and it stood or sat on the wall. And worst of all, by today’s standards, one had to “wait in line” to use it. Sometimes having to put nickels and dimes in it for the connection to occur.


Let’s just call it a weird kind of “bit coin.”😳


Weird is as weird does?


Question #9.

The ringer, on the Telly landline phone was SO loud, it could not be turned down. Talk about stress. Talk about the startle reflex.🫨


It has been wonderful to engage with you. It has been good of you to indulge this trip down memory lane. What I wish for you and your growth of self, is to realize that faster is not always better. Patience is a virtue. You are more than great in your own skin. We make hundreds, maybe thousands of decisions, big and small every day.


It is not always prudent to look away.

It is sometimes always prudent to say what you need to say.

And.

Jump on in.


Sincerely,

The seeker.



P.S. How will we know?

Read on.


Choose wisely.

How will we know?

Time will tell. It usually does.

There is good advice.

There is bad advice.


Some we must take on the chin.😖

And just ride it out.

Uncomfortable is not always bad. Creature comforts are the little things, and can be bit coined to death in a Telly, Telly instant.


Progress takes time.

It takes your time.

It takes my time.


Instant is not always truth.

History tells us a story for reasons not yet always understood.


To be understood as to understand.


The Telly and the Telly.


In 1878: The first sketch of a TV

In 1925: The first mechanical TV

In 1927: The first electronic TV

In 1929: The first public TV broadcast

In 1956: The first TV remote control (IE the getting off of our duffs conundrum of couch potatoe-ism) (mb)


On March 25, 1925 John Logee Baird transmitted silhouettes in his early model of a TV. A year later he transmitted monochromatic images. By doing this Baird’s Television became the first true TV that could transmit silhouettes and monochromatic images. (tt/mg)


Then. In 1925, Paul Gottlieb Nipkow, patented the first mechanical television. It included a scanning disk and a spinning disk with holes spiraling toward the center, for rasterization. The distance between each hole was equal so that it would allow light to pass through. (tt/mg)


Couch potatoe-ism became an epidemic and we were never to stand up to the TV and its images again.😵‍💫


Later on. History tells us. The Bell telephone and the big box TV merged and couch-potatoe-ism was born.


Now. To the children and the young adults of the 2,000’s.


You have the choice.

When the adults have or may have failed you, to look up, look away, from the ball and chain of societal standards held in your hand.


There is an epidemic of addictive tendencies we have developed. All of us. Thinking we must look down, when instead we must look up, look into the eyes of one another, look out over the horizon and NOT accept everything that scrolls up or down to be true.


We have entered an era where the crime fits the punishment instead of the other way around.


Backwards.

When we should be moving forward.

We are sadly moving in a backward direction.

There are plenty, PLENTY, of advantageous individuals waiting in the wings. To replace you, me, us.

Fight and fight hard.


Why?

We are unintentionally taking each other down.

We forgot.

That is not what HE wanted.

Us to do.


Patience is a virtue.

Put it down.

The window to the world held within your own palm.

You may think you need to know it all.


Truth it:

You do not need to know it all.


Know it all: One who claims to know everything. One who disdains advice.


There is wisdom in the good 📖


Give it a try.


Sincerely,


The seeker.












February 02, 2024 17:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.