Echoes of a Lost Summer

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Write about a summer vacation gone wrong.... view prompt

2 comments

Sad Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

The anticipation of summer vacation is a feeling like no other. The countdown to freedom, to days without responsibility or structure, filled me with a sense of exhilaration. I imagined the adrenaline rush as we climbed the heights of the roller coasters, the wind whipping through our hair, the simultaneous terror and thrill as we plummeted downwards. Each ride would be a shared victory, a memory to recount and laugh about later.


The teasing glances from girls in line were part of the fun, a playful dance of flirtation that added to the adventure. It was all part of the carefree spirit of summer, where every moment was a chance to live fully and freely. We would have been invincible, a dynamic duo moving through the world with confidence and joy.


The nights were to be our sanctuary. Stretching out on the couch without any sense of humility, we would binge-watch shows, losing ourselves in fictional worlds. The comfort of falling asleep wherever we pleased, just like in our childhood, added a layer of nostalgia and simplicity to our plans. It was a return to a time when everything was easier, when the world was filled with endless possibilities.


A week dedicated to a road trip was the crown jewel of our plans. We envisioned winding roads, music blaring, windows down, and the open road ahead. The destination didn’t matter as much as the journey, but ending up on a beach, with the sound of the waves and the feeling of sand beneath our feet, was the perfect culmination. It was to be a time of ultimate freedom and connection.


The phone call came like a thunderclap, shattering the tranquility of the day. I had been eagerly waiting, filled with the excitement of seeing you again. The expectation of a simple, joyful reunion—just a fist pump and a hug—seemed so mundane, yet so precious after all the time apart. I was ready to embrace you, to feel the familiarity of your presence.


Then came the sound from our mother, a primal, gut-wrenching wail that tore through the air. It was a sound that I cannot fully describe, one that I pray no one else ever has to hear. It was the sound of a soul being ripped apart, a cry from the deepest well of despair. In that moment, everything changed. The world tilted on its axis, and nothing would ever be the same again.


The pain that settled over us was unlike anything I had ever known. It was sharp and relentless, a constant reminder of the loss. It was a nightmare come to life, and I felt trapped in it, unable to wake up. I wished I could forget that sound, undo that moment, but there was no going back. The reality of your absence was a weight I couldn’t bear.


Sitting in the room with you, or rather, with what remains of you, is a surreal experience. Your physical presence is here, but the essence of who you were is gone. It feels like being with a wax figure—cold, lifeless, and eerily similar to the real thing but devoid of the spark that made you, you. This presence of absence is a constant, painful reminder of what has been lost.


I am caught in a storm of emotions—sadness, anger, guilt—all swirling around, threatening to pull me under. Each feeling is intense and overwhelming on its own, but together, they are almost unbearable. I feel as though I might combust from the sheer force of it all. And yet, paradoxically, there is also a profound emptiness, a numbness that seeps into every part of me. This contradiction is maddening. It seems impossible to feel so much and so little at the same time, yet here I am, living it.


If anyone else were to tell me they felt this way, I would dismiss it as hyperbole or a misunderstanding of their own emotions. But now, faced with this reality, I see the truth in it. It is a cruel, impossible contradiction, and it makes me question everything I thought I knew about myself, about emotions, about life.


Our childhood was intertwined, each memory a shared experience. We lived under the same roof, navigated the same rules, and found joy in the same simple pleasures. We went to the same schools, faced the same teachers, and made friends with the same kids. Our lives were parallel lines, running side by side.


We talked to each other all the time. You were my confidant, my partner in crime. We shared our dreams, our fears, our triumphs, and our failures. There was a bond between us that I thought was unbreakable, a shared understanding that came from being so close.


And yet, something was different for you. I cannot understand what it was that made you say yes to that dangerous choice. What drove you to reach out for something you knew could hurt you? You were just as educated, just as aware of the risks as I was. This decision is a riddle I cannot solve, a piece of the puzzle that is missing.


I could still pull off the summer as we planned. I could take the trip, ride the rides, and watch the movies. But the essence of those plans was your presence. Without you, the joy, the excitement—it’s all hollow. I know I won’t go. There’s no point.


The summer plans, once filled with anticipation and excitement, now feel hollow. I could go through the motions—take the trip, ride the rides, watch the movies—but without you, it all feels meaningless. Your presence was the essence of those plans, the spark that made them special. Without you, the joy and excitement are gone, leaving only an empty echo of what could have been.


I know I won’t go. There’s no point. The idea of experiencing all those things without you is unbearable. It would be a constant reminder of your absence, each moment tinged with sorrow and regret. The thought of riding a roller coaster alone, of sitting on the couch without you, is too painful to consider. The plans were for us, and without you, they lose all meaning.


As your older sibling, I always felt a sense of responsibility for you. I was supposed to be your protector, the one who looked out for you and kept you safe. It was a role I took seriously, a bond I cherished. Now, in this twisted reversal, it is you who must be strong for me. They say you’re in a better place, but what comfort is that when you are not here?


The strength I once had evaporated with that phone call. It left me feeling weak, vulnerable, and lost. They say time will ease the pain, but right now, I can’t see beyond the sorrow. The future stretches out before me, an unending expanse of grief without you. Every vision of tomorrow is shadowed by your absence, and there is no comfort in that. 


I struggle to envision a future without you. Every version of what’s to come feels incomplete, missing the vital piece that was you. The thought of moving forward, of finding joy or purpose without you, seems impossible. There’s a gaping hole where you should be, and I can’t see past it.


It’s time to leave you now. This is the hardest part, walking away and accepting that you are truly gone. It feels like betraying you, leaving you behind, but I know it’s what I must do. I have to find a way to move forward, to live without you. It won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick, but I believe that somehow, I will find my strength again.


Keep the other big brothers from feeling this pain. Let them live out the perfect summer we envisioned. Let them have the joy, the excitement, the freedom that we planned. If you can do that, then maybe, just maybe, this loss will not be in vain.


Rest in peace, little brother. You are gone, but you are not forgotten. I carry you with me in my heart, in my memories, in every moment of my life. And though the pain is immense, I will honor your memory by finding my strength, by living the life we dreamed of, and by keeping your spirit alive in everything I do.

August 07, 2024 22:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Gabrielle Holly
00:55 Aug 15, 2024

Hi Amanda, I loved this! I admire how you were able to tell so much so quickly. I think this was structured very well and I loved how you told more as the story went on! That's something I try to do more with my writing. Did you consider starting off with the "we" tense and then transitioning to first person only? Happy writing! Gaby Maurice

Reply

Amanda Evans
12:23 Aug 17, 2024

Thank you, so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.