19 comments

Speculative

I bolt to my couch,popcorn dish before me ,remote control in hand ,legs perched on the arm rest,a silent prayer and I switch the television to channel 203,News channel where our President is about to make his speech.

He walks slowly to the podium ,his right arm hovering above the national flag perched on top of his suit jacket pocket as if trying to gather strength from it's meaningful colors call it intuition or madness but after almost a year spent in lock down and millions of lives lost one was bound to expect the worst.He glanced the cameras nervously and took his seat,wiping invisible sweat on his brows before starting his speech.

"South Africans,fellow Africans and the rest of the world I greet you all.I would like to begin by thanking our health sector for placing their lives on the line in the fight against the corona virus, many have lost their spouses ,colleagues and even interns yet they did not give up the fight and for that we are grateful.To our security and safety and the military personnel we would also like to also commend our officers for assisting us ensuring that the restrictions placed were followed and the delinquents were brought to book.I would like to extend my thanks to all essential services providers and personnel for ensuring that we didn't lack all we couldn't live without.I would also like to thank all companies,business entities and individuals who made donations to the Solidarity Fund which was set aside to help us positively deal with the effects of the corona virus which tolled on us financially be it individually or company wise.Last but not least I would like to thank all of us who ensured that we followed the regulations and restrictions placed for our health and safety.I understand that we have spent 301 days in Lock down which had forced us to curtail our fun and perhaps change our plans.We had to postpone rituals,events and celebrations which means a lot to us and our families but the fact still remains that we are not in the clear yet and our Scientists are still working tirelessly to uncover all about this virus.After extensive talks with the Corona Virus Command Council we had agreed to share the startling development made last week.We had received one million doses of the corona virus vaccine which we agreed that should be given to our health sector as they remain the first point of contact with the virus,however after the study of the vaccine it was found to be an antivirus which reacts positively to the virus responsible for the first wave.The bad news is that if this antivirus is placed against the virus responsible for the second wave it only fuels the damage in the host.This discovery means that we have no vaccine at the moment and another strain of the virus will take at least six months to produce and by that time we will maybe experiencing the sixth wave of the virus.We acknowledge the fact that we can not subject the country back to level five with tough restrictions due to the strain the lock down has matted on our economy as well as our lively hood ,but we also plead that we postpone things we do not need to do urgently.It is still not clear if this pandemic will ever end or if there will still be any of us to see it's end but we can still try and live on a daily basis ensuring we do our apart.A wise man once said that success is not in strength but in unity.We call on all of us to try and keep ourselves and our loved ones safe,as of today midnight all restrictions and bans will be lifted ,the military personnel and safety officers will desist from patrols and drive-through tours as from today midnight.By easing off all restrictions and bans we're trying to tell ourselves that we're all accountable of our actions from right now onward.We are all aware that public schools were supposed to open on the 15th of February 2021 however the Covid-19 Command Council has decided to hand over the reins to the public that sent in numerous threat of protest by parents since they want their kids vaccinated before going to school.We are well aware that the majority of our citizens blamed both the Council and myself for both the spread and the restrictions,some went as far as proclaiming us the Devils.I am a man,a husband and a a father who has found himself having to defend both my name and honor in these difficult times which is why I have decided to vacate the post of the President of South Africa with immediate effect and I here by surrender my person to the Judicial Court to be tried for trial within 90 days from midnight today as my family and I will be relocating as soon as the Court finds me clear. I have already contacted my Party the ANC with this development and they accepted my request gracefully.I only pray that we survive this and that we will only refer to these times as fairytales .I am hoping that whoever will occupy this seat or office as from tomorrow morning will be given respect and support triple folds.Maybe we all need to take off our rose colored glasses and see the situation as it really is.

May God Bless South Africa and protect her people.

I thank you."

I can't remember how long it took me to finally come back to my senses,this speech was what I have been demanding for at a price I wasn't willing to pay.I slowly looked outside my window hoping to see the joy that was always there every time a ban was lifted only to be shocked when there was no one on the streets and it seemed as if the price of the termination was to extravagant to us all.Whether we had tomorrow or the future that seemed heavenly and only God knew what was in store for the rest of us.

February 08, 2021 13:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Nancy Drayce
08:43 Feb 10, 2021

Such a well-written story! The speech was amazing and well-paced! I just have some suggestions, nothing to do with the creative part, but more like technical. After every full stop and comma put space, like so... I like you, Melanie. And one more suggestion, you can put Italic where she/he is thinking and speaking; and where the president is speaking I would not use italic, that way you separate what someone thinks or says and what the person on the television is saying. It separates the narrative of two characters. All in all a very good s...

Reply

Yvone Mthembu
09:00 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you so much for your comment Nancy this is my fourth story on Reedsy so I am still a curious baby who is glad of your suggestions and I pinkie swear to use your advice in my next submission. Warm wishes from South Africa with love

Reply

Nancy Drayce
09:17 Feb 10, 2021

Of course, Yvone! I am glad that I could help! Just keep writing! And one more thing I forgot, I belive you missed this - "I am a man,a husband and a a father who has found himself having to..." you accidentally put two 'a'. Once again, a really good story! The speech was really believable! 🥰💙🌟

Reply

Yvone Mthembu
13:59 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you so much Nancy you're just right for my ego,I really think we should talk some more,something tells me we can be great writing pals

Reply

Nancy Drayce
14:00 Feb 10, 2021

Of course! I agree!! 🥰 if you have instagram we can always chat there?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yvone Mthembu
13:59 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you so much Nancy you're just right for my ego,I really think we should talk some more,something tells me we can be great writing pals

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yvone Mthembu
13:59 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you so much Nancy you're just right for my ego,I really think we should talk some more,something tells me we can be great writing pals

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 14 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yvone Mthembu
07:26 Feb 11, 2021

I don't have an Instagram account yet ,let me see what I can do this week and maybe Monday I will have one and we can move there

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.