2 comments

Drama

The man wearing a bright red T-shirt over grey pants was walking along the road that bright Sunday morning. He was handsome, tall and fair, with a receding hairline, and walked with a stoop to the left. He was in a secluded upper class residential area and there wasn’t much movement on the road or pavement that early. He had now reached a 14- floor building WINDSOR, and he looked up at it as the sun glinted off the windows .It was indeed an eye-catching structure! He walked into the compound, crossed the carpeted turf, went beyond the pots laid out in line containing flowering plants, and reached the elevator. It was in floor 11 and he called for it. He knew it could carry six and was glad he would be alone in it. He stood vacantly gazing at the garden as the elevator came down. Getting in, he punched the elevator to 14. It started the climb, but soon somebody in level 3 was waiting! It was an old woman with grey hair in a pink sari who entered with a bag and she pressed  9. He was happy she would be getting off leaving him alone to travel up further. However after crossing level 7 the elevator suddenly stopped. The old lady said with a smile “Bit unusual! I’ve come here so many times but have never been interrupted even once.”

He stood sullen without any comment. She called the help number and after hearing their message said to him “They say power has been cut due a major fault. It could even be 2 hours before we can go up.” She made a call and he heard her saying ”I’m stuck in the elevator----” He wasn’t interested in overhearing her further phone talk.

Finishing her phone call, she turned to the man and said “This elevator is spacious. Why don’t we sit on its floor and wait?” He merely nodded and they sat facing each other on the carpeted floor. After a few minutes she said “I’m hungry. I’ve cakes from CAKELAND. I had bought them for my sister living here, but I could buy more later. We could share whatever I have.”

He said abruptly “No thanks. I’ve had an early breakfast.”

Eating her cake she said “I should’ve brought some water. It’s so hot.”

He opened his bag and pulling out a bottle of water handed it to her. She said “Thanks” as she drank from it.

He kept his staid silence, but she couldn’t suppress the fact that she was loquacious. She said “Every time I go to CAKELAND I’m reminded of my son who was very fond of their cakes.  He would do stunts for movies. The bike he was riding had to jump over 2 cars parked some distance apart, but something went wrong with the bike and he fell to his death.”

The man cleared his throat and asked almost in a whisper “How old was he?”

“He was 21. I had only one issue and he was gone.”

“I’m sorry I made you recall sad moments.”

“The sorrow is gone. That happened over 25 years ago.” She was silent a few moments and then said “My husband had then consoled me. I had actually been on the verge of killing myself by taking poison.”

He asked softly “How did your husband take it?”

“He accepted it. He died 10 years later of a head injury suffered after a fall at home .He was in bed for 6 months and had suffered so much that I had actually felt relieved that he had gone.”

He asked hesitantly “I hope your circumstances were comfortable afterwards.”

“Quite. He had extensive land holdings and I cashed those to live comfortably.” She said “Have some cake now.” Giving him a chocolate covered cake she said “I hope you like the cake.”

He took a bite and said “The cake is really very tasty.”  As he ate the cake he said “You told me a little about yourself. That leaves me to speak about myself.  In British times, my great grandpa it seems moved to India from Africa and bought a large tract of land. It was urban land he had purchased whose value  multiplied several times with time. A portion of it came to me. In fact this building WINDSOR stands on land sold by me to a real estate developer. I live up the road.” He paused and said “Besides, having been an army officer I get a pension as I was discharged after suffering a war injury.” He paused and said ”I’m sure I’m  boring you with details of my past. I felt I should reciprocate as you were so open with a stranger like me.”

“No, no! It was interesting hearing you.” She paused and said “My sister lives here in apartment 910. She’s only 2 years younger than me. She’s a qualified nurse and has worked in several places the world over. She is a spinster. I’ll show you her picture.”

“Not required really.”

But she held out her phone and he said” Looks almost like you. Who is the other woman standing beside her?

“That is Jasmine, an orphan she had adopted. I’ll tell you more. You’ve finished your cake. Have one more.” As he took it she said “We were talking about Jasmine. She married a marine engineer, but tragedy struck as he was drowned in a freak accident on board the ship. She was compensated amply and now lives here with my sister. She is nearing 40.”

“Didn’t Jasmine have  children?”

“No.” She looked at her phone and said “It’s almost 45 minutes since we’ve been here. I see you’ve no watch.”

“I haven’t brought my phone either.”

“Very surprising! I’m sure you were in a great hurry leaving home.”

“Sort of.”

“You haven’t told me about yourself except about your heritage and background, though in my usual way I would’ve blurted out whatever I felt like!”

He said “I’m now 45. My wife died of cancer about two years ago. We had an only issue – a daughter who fell in love with a youth in college and married him. He did drugs--------“ He fell silent.

She said “I’m sorry I’m causing some pain making you recall worrying memories.”

He sighed and said “My son-in-law wanted me to give him money to buy drugs. I refused. He killed his wife.” Unconsciously he shed a tear. “He is in prison but the case hasn’t been closed yet. I feel he should be hanged. I keep blaming myself for having been the cause of my daughter’s death. Today it is exactly a year since she went.” He dabbed his eyes with a handkerchief.

Power was back and the elevator stirred whining its way up. He said “We’ve reached floor 9. Time to say goodbye!” He arrested the elevator’s ascent.

She said “Come in for a cup of coffee. It looks as if we’ve known each other a long time. We really wouldn’t have met but for my visiting a friend at level 3 to return a borrowed ladle. I’m happy I did run into you.”

He had actually started on going to the 14th floor, climbing up to the terrace on top and jumping to his death on the ground.  He had made his suicide note which he carried in his bag. He didn’t want to bring his costly watch, his phone and his purse which could perhaps be stolen, or later taken by police. He realized his feelings had now changed since talking to the old woman on the elevator. Hearing her talking of loss of near and dear ones, he realized he was not alone in facing tragic situations. He had to face facts. Continually mourning for his daughter and trying to punish himself for her death would do no good. He felt attracted to Jasmine after seeing her picture: She was a real good-looker with a sweet, smiling face.  He thought he would like to take a chance with her. He let the elevator’s door to close and went with the stranger he had met!

END

September 07, 2020 08:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Warrior C
02:53 Sep 17, 2020

You've woven the story beautifully Sivaram. More please. Thank you so much.

Reply

01:53 Sep 18, 2020

Many thanks. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.