1 comment

Fiction

Lizzy would throw tantrums runing around in circles till she got her own way. Her parents Edd and Suky Miller felt awkward around their daughter with her chubby cheeks , rosebud lips , corn blue eyes and blond locks. They hoped that the behaviour would change as Lizzy got older.

At seven she had run around in circles stating she had been bitten by a bear at the zoo scratching her arms. The teacher had sent her home from school, after they had got their daughter a pony optimistic that she would consider others, and settle with Tabo the pony. It was not to be? Her sister Debbie had taken over the care of Tabo the shetland pony. Debbie was more placid and doing well at college.

Edd and Suky worried over their elder daughter, who after leaving school had drifted into temp work. They worried what would happen if they were not always there to help out with house hold bills and the rent when Lizzy was not in regular employment.

At twenty three Lizzy had started work at N.K Plastics. Six weeks into the job, it was time to move on. Why had she stayed so long? After giving in her notice, she had a visit from to the manager Nicolas Ketch. Shocked to hear, that he wished her to stay put. "We can still see each other," she had said. "No just give it a try for a few more weeks". He had said. Suggesting they went jogging together, or the gym to meet others. This was something , Lizzy had not expected she was not one for crowds or others taking up her space.

" Well" said Nicholas. Lizzy thought of him as challenge, a brick wall she would climb. Move on when he least expected it. The months passed jogging after work, the gym, weekends away. Lizzy began to find she cold talk with Nicolas . Although not too keen about visits by his children Jessica and Peter from his marriage.

Edd and Suky felt optimistic Nicolas was eighteen years older than Lizzy and divorced with his own company. Maybe he had the maturity and held the key to Lizzy staying put. They so hoped so.

Nicolas liked Edd and his wife Suky and could see the worry Lizzy had given them ove the years in their eyes. There were times when he thought he was getting some where with Lizzy, they both liked sport, jogging, the gym and shared many interesting conversations about wild life and living. Then when he thought Lizzy would tell him more the shutters would go down. So here he was sitting on a bench in the park watching the twins Jessica and Peter. Lizzy had been out of his life for three weeks.

Nicolas, had his work, the children and hoped that in time Lizzie would come back to him. Summer become Autumn, he had almost given up on Lizzy. Coming home from work ,a glass of wine and the twins once a fortnight. Had become his routine. He still hoped he would see Lizzy at the gym or to say "Hi" in the park.

Relaxing one evening watching the t.v while heavy rain splattered on the window pane. There was a knock on the door of his ground floor apartment. Opening the door there stood Lizzy looking like a scared rabbit caught in the car head lights.

"Come in, take a shower, there is a robe in the bathroom." Picking up her wet clothes and towels, putting them in the washing machine. Nicolas gently fed Lizzy hot soup after rubbing her arm. Did she deserve his kindness. Tears came to Lizzys eyes. Slowly she explained how she had felt left out seeing others together, her parents their arms around each other. Groups of girls at school, games she could not join in wanting to run and hide.

She had even run away from good kind, patient Nicolas. Now she wanted to stop running. They had a long way to go. Lizzy had opened up to him it had taken guts,determination. They had a long way to go. Nicolas hoped that they would run the course together. The rain had stopped Lizzy was tired. Gently he carried her to bed. The weekend ahead looked more postive. How hard the journey may take they had each other.

There would be good and bad days tantums, feelings of failure defeat. Lizzy had chosen to come back to him. All was not lost between them. He was a good listener. Slowly they wold build up that trust and understanding that is part of a relatioship that everyone needs.

Maslows triangle of needs love, food understanding it was all linked. He would pick up on her weak points, encourage her to do more with the children. So that she had feelings for others without being scared to commit. It was all part of growing up accepting responsablity.

Sharing what life had to offer.

Lizzy was hurt, confused, battle scarred. Now he was here to share that load. Looking at Lizzys peaceful face in sleep. He gently put out the light. Going to sleep in the guest room. Lizzy must not be rushed into things to soon.

Nicholas could not bare to lose her again. She had so become apart of his life. The twins often talked about her. Maybe that would be a strong starting point. It would be lovely to watch a relationship developing with Lizzy and the twins. Camping weekends, sports days, story reading.

The next day there was the smell of bacon in the kitchen. LIzzy was frying eggs. Singing to herself. They would talk things through relax and jogg in the park later. Maybe the twins would join them on their cycles next weekend. He would suggest this to her. Bringing it into the conversation asking her advise as if it was Lizzys idea. He spent enough time daily selling himself to others at work. Lizzy would turn full circle, she had come back to him. How marvelous was that.

January 26, 2024 21:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Carolyn O'B
18:31 Feb 03, 2024

There are a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes. I would suggest listening to your to stories being read aloud. I use the text to speak featured in word.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.