1 comment

General

I scratched the door trying to get in, I know he’s in there. Normally at this time he's at work but he's home today. My tail thumps against the ground. I can hear him coming to let me in, he opens the door. His brown hair is sticking up in ways that i didn't even know were possible, he hasn't shaved since friday. He needs to shower but he can do that later. It's time for i'm to take me on a walk. I run and grab my leash and drop it at his feet.

“Not right now Minnie” he nudged me away with his foot. This is new, normally he’s happy to take me on a walk.

“Billy I want to go on a walk” I bark loudly. I sit down and start to scratch behind my long droopy ear. If only Billy was paying attention to me, then he’d scratch this spot. I get up and trot over to him. He zones out into space as he eats his breakfast. I put my paw on his lap hoping for a bite of whatever he’s eating. 

“Minnie not now!” he yelled. This is the loudest I've heard his voice go. He wasn’t even this mad when I peed on Paige. I haven’t seen her in a while. Paige was Billy's friend that came over all the time. I never liked her but I know Billy did. I didn't like the way she smelled or the way she talked to me. I wonder why Billy isn’t at work. It's wednesday which means Billy goes to work and then Mike’s house. I like Mike, he smells like chicken and always scratches my ears. I Walk around the small one bedroom apartment normally Billy is at work so i take a nap in his bed. But he’s home and doesn’t seem too happy so I curl up on the floor instead. 

When I wake up from my nap Billy is on the couch, he smells funny. He smells like how Paige always smelled. He has a bottle in his hand that smells even worse. I lick his free hand. My tail whacking the couch. 

“Minnie, leave me alone” he groans. With my tail between my legs I go underneath the kitchen table. When I wake up it's the next day, maybe Billy will be happier today. I grab my leash and run for his room. I nose the door open and jump up on his bed. I lick his face expecting at least a small acknowledgement. He pulls the covers up over his head and goes back to sleep. I just want to go on a walk. I lay my head down on his lap, leash in mouth and go back to sleep. When I wake up Billy is watching tv. He smells even worse than he did yesterday. Though the smell makes me sick I want to snuggle with him. I jump up on the couch and curl up on his lap. Billy has been home everyday this week, we’ve slept on the couch together a lot, he won’t take me for a walk or play with me, normally i’d be sad but i'm just so happy he’s home that i’ll just sleep when he’s asleep. All Billy wants is to eat, sleep, and drink that awful smelling drink. I want to run and jump and play.

‘Billy i'm a coon hound i need to go outside, and not just on the balcony to go to the bathroom i need to run” I bark as Billy gets up to get something to drink. 

“Minnie be quiet” He snaps. I don’t understand why he’s so angry with me. I haven't done anything wrong. I just want to go on a walk. He doesn’t have work or have to go to mikes and all he wants to do is sleep. I’ve been trying hard to be a good dog, I haven't eaten the plant even though he’s starting to look a little brown and I haven’t torn up any pillows in weeks. I don’t even think I've gone on the couch without permission this week. It's okay i'm just not a good dog, i'll just be a happy dog because Billy is home. Even though all we’ve done is slept, and he’s forgotten to feed me a few times. Maybe we’ll go on a walk tomorrow.

I wake up the next day leash in my mouth and go straight to the door. I sit and wag my tail dramatically. 

“Not today.” he walks to the kitchen for yet another drink. I lay down in front of the door. As I finally start to fall asleep someone knocks on the door. 

“Billy, someone's here you need to let them in” I bark to Billy. He opens the door to Mike holding 2 cups. 

“Hey how’re you doin?” Mike says with a sympathetic smile. Billy lets him in the house and they sit at the kitchen table. I follow them and sit in the doorway.

“Man, losing your job and your girlfriend in the same week must really suck.” Mike finally sighs as Billy sips his drink.

“Thanks, that's exactly what I need to hear right now Mike, Very helpful” Billy snapped. I know that now seems like an awful time to ask but i really want to go on a walk. I go into the other room and grab my leash.

“When’s the last time you walked Minnie?” Mike asked.

“I haven’t been in the mood to walk her.” Billy sighed. Mike stood up and came towards me and clipped on my leash. 

“Come on girl let's go on a walk.” Mike said scratching my ear. My ears perk up at the sound of the word walk, I jump up and try to lick his face. Billy just sits at the table sipping his precious drink. As we head for the door Billy stands up, I hope he’s coming with us, my tail starts to wag. Billy walks over and grabs a box. He begins to pick up all my toys and then my food and water dishes. 

“Mike take her home, i can’t take care of her anymore, i can't even take care of myself.”

Mike opens up the door and I run towards the grass. Digging my nose into the grass rolling onto my back wiggling around in it.

“Mike it's grass I love grass!” I bark with glee. Mike laughs as he starts to walk towards his car. A car ride and a walk? This has got to be the greatest day of my life. 



March 21, 2020 15:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Roshna Rusiniya
16:22 Mar 30, 2020

Minnie is so cute! I loved the story. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.