Peter and Mary Jane

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about a person who collects superhero comics.... view prompt

0 comments

General

MJ cried when it closed down. Shaky sobs that spilled from deep within her out into the narrow alley, echoing around her mockingly. Her favorite store, her only home, smushed between two retailers, had taken its final breaths and died. The various superhero comics had been sold for bargain prices, the collector’s paraphernalia distributed to local charities, and the old man who ran it retired and gone, giving her nothing but an empty apology ringing in her ears. Leaving her, lost, betrayed, and with nowhere to go. Again. So, like a turtle, she began to recede into herself.

A sudden splatter shook MJ from her stupor. Dark spots began to dot the pavement as a light drizzle began. She didn’t move, not caring if she got wet. She sat in her puddle of misery for a few minutes, as the light rain turned to a downpour and the puddle became more of a pool. Sullenly standing up, she slid her backpack over her shoulder and exited the alley. A flash of lightning made her jump, and she started to walk quickly to the local library. Soon after, the delayed thunder had her breaking into a run. 

She reached the library soon thereafter, panting and soaked to the bone. As the automatic doors slid open, she felt a blast of warm air and had to stop herself from dashing inside. Entering the common area, she nodded to the librarian and then headed to the bathrooms. The patterned dark blue carpet was a comfort to her soul, and she felt herself relaxing as she pushed open the door to the toilets. She settled on a wall across from the stalls and turned on the blow-dryer.

It wasn’t a hot shower, but relaxing under the warm air allowed her to calm herself and collect her thoughts. MJ remembered the first time she’d been to the old comic store. Just a few days after being kicked to the curb, she had finally found a warm, secluded, happy place. Saving up any loose change she found, she eventually collected a few of the cheaper comics. It was mostly Spiderman, but she bought anything she could afford. Even though the shop was gone, at least she still had the comics.

MJ shrugged off her backpack and peered inside. After pushing aside her various clothing and belongings, she grabbed some papers. She held them in front of her face, examining them. Letting out a choked sob, she crumpled the pages up and threw what used to be a comic book into the trash. Curling into a ball, rocking back and forth, she realized she should have known better. Ink and water didn’t mix well, after all. But hindsight didn’t make it bleed any less. Maybe it was childish to be so upset over a comic book, but the small things were all she had.

Deciding to forget today, MJ focused on the roar of the blow-dryer and let her thoughts drift into nothingness. So intent on ignoring the world, she didn’t notice someone entering the bathroom, and was shocked when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. A mystery girl had settled next to her, leaning against the wall. 

“Hey.” the peculiar girl said.

MJ turned to look at the girl and found herself nearly nose-to-nose with her. Eyes met eyes and MJ’s heart jumped a beat. She could feel the mystery girl’s breath on her cheek. It was warm, and sweet. 

Breaking eye contact, MJ jerked her head away and refused to look at the girl next to her, refused to acknowledge her proximity or how cute she was. 

“Hi.” MJ said, hating how her voice sounded after crying. 

“Can I get you anything?” the girl asked, blushing after how close they had been. 

“No, I -” Her voice cracked. “Thank you, but… I don’t need any help.”

The mystery girl paused. Then she pushed herself up, and offered a hand to MJ. MJ took it cautiously, quite aware of how her actions were contradicting her words, and soon her body was only centimeters away from the other girl’s. 

“I...sorry” MJ stepped away.

“Don’t worry about it.” The girl smiled a wobbly smile. “Listen...if you change your mind, I’ll be waiting right outside.” She let go of MJ’s hand and exited the room, but not before pausing next to the trash can with a curious expression.

MJ stood in the same spot for several seconds, before grabbing her bag, zipping it up, and walking over to the sink. She stared at her reflection for a moment, hating how frizzy her dark hair was, and hating that she hated it. She splashed cold water on her face, then pushed open the door and left the bathroom.

She had intended to head straight for the exit, but the torrent outside deterred her. So she turned to the collection of tables and chairs near her and saw the mystery girl, sitting alone, with two water bottles in front of her. And as much as she wanted to refuse this girl’s help, to push her away before she got hurt, she couldn’t resist the urge to get to know this kind, pretty girl. So her feet steered her towards the table, and she found herself sitting across from the girl. 

“Hey.” MJ smiled tremulously. 

“Hi.” The girl said. “I wanted to show you something. Not if you’re not comfortable with that of course, I just wanted to help you somehow and -”

“That sounds great.” MJ interrupted her. 

The girl smiled. “Great.”

She stood up and grabbed MJ’s hand before leading her through the library. Soon, they reached an unfamiliar, dark and dusty corner. The girl let go of MJ’s hand and MJ couldn’t help but miss the warmth. The strange girl flipped a switch, and MJ gasped. Rows and rows of cases filled with every comic book imaginable. Hundreds of Spiderman, plus Batman, The Avengers, Superman, Captain America, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, anything a girl could want. 

MJ breathed a low “thank you” before turning to the girl, who was smiling nervously. She repeated her thanks louder, and acting on instinct, hugged the girl. It felt nice. Probably nicer than anything she’d experienced before. 

“Can I ask you something?” MJ said, once they’d pulled away from each other.

“Of course.” The girl said.

“Do you like girls?” MJ rushed out. And before she could take it back, “Can I kiss you?”

The girl didn’t bother to answer. She just stepped towards MJ and reaching on her toes, touched their lips together softly. MJ reached towards around her and pressed them together. Their kiss broke any previous records of best thing that had ever happened. And when it was over, the girl scribbled a number in pen on MJ’s arm and pecked her on the cheek.

“I never got your name,” she said, blushing.

“MJ.” MJ said. “And you?”

“You can call me Peter.” She said.

Peter walked away, leaving MJ smiling dumbly, surrounded by comic books, head buzzing, hope growing inside of her.

July 02, 2020 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.