Love You Like A Madman

Written in response to: Write a story that contains the phrase “Okay class! Pop quiz.”... view prompt

15 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

[Feedback is appreciated--I feel this is more an outline than a full story but am curious what others think. Is it too much tell and not enough show? Does it flow? Are Payne and Sarah both too unlikable?]



“Finish the book for class tomorrow.” Mrs. M said as she erased the discussion points from today off of the blackboard.


Sarah had already finished Catcher in the Rye and reread it twice. She was impatient for the discussion. On one hand, she loved the book. Holden reminded her so much of her boyfriend, Payne. So lost and yet so smart and sensitive. Yet on the other hand she hated it because it confused her and it didn’t have a tie-it-up in a pretty bow and package ending that she needed. Then she started wondering if Holden and Payne were just tragic and pathetic losers.


She needed to listen to the discussion tomorrow and hopefully Mrs. M could help her figure it out.


She did not like the push-me-pull-you feeling the book gave her. Sarah liked concrete beginnings, middles, and endings. She liked to know where the characters stood and what happened at the end of each page and each chapter. Catcher had her all over the place and Holden kept shifting tenses, which made her eyes itch.


The worst part is with Catcher, Sarah didn’t understand the ending. She thought she knew where the book was going, then she was just bewildered by it all.


She picked up one of her journals and reread yesterday’s entry. She wrote about how she wanted today to go with class--especially the hope to understand the book and her life better. She also wrote "Tonight I will tell Payne I love him and he will say it back to me! Finally!!"


Her journals were filled entries like that. She wrote about how she wanted every conversation and every day and every action to be from start to finish. She worked hard to plan everything and keep her life under her control. She knew that need for control frustrated Payne who was a free spirit and didn’t like having things planned for him.


Last week, he told her he likes his grungy jeans and Led Zeppelin shirts. Those were his best clothes, he said, and it didn’t matter to him that he was one of the only kids in his school that liked "grandpa" music as she called it.


“Stairway to Heaven speaks to me, “ he told her as they listened to it from her phone. He didn’t have smart phone. Said it was too boujee.


She just wanted him to look nice in clean jeans and a nice button up shirt when they were with her friends and their boyfriends. And, a smart phone was a necessity. How else could he post photos of them together and text her when she needed him?


Up in her room before dinner and waiting for Payne’s call, Sarah opened the Wordle archives and started solving the old puzzles like a madman. She laughed because solving the puzzles made her feel like Holden. He was always doing something like a madman.


The puzzles gave her comfort because she had six tries and then they ended. You either got the word or you didn't, but the game always told you what the word was if you missed it. She needed that closure.


Sarah found the puzzles to predictable and with her eye for Scrabble, she almost always got the answer on the 2nd or 3rd try. You get an L as the second letter—most of the time the first letter will be S or B or P or E or I. The few times she didn’t get the answer after the 6th try caused her so much anxiety that she wrote out new combinations her journal so she could solve it quickly there.


She was on her 20th puzzle in a row when her stomach growled. Sarah realized that not only had Payne not called at 5:30 like he promised, but Sarah hadn’t heard her mother call her for dinner.


She went downstairs and there was a note on the table next to her plate. “Off to your brother’s baseball games. Here is your dinner, Your Mother.”


The mashed potatoes on her plate had hard edges and the peas and carrots had coated the side of the Salisbury steak, which sat in a pool of glossy, hard gravy. Sarah recognized the meal from the picture on the box.


Her mother stopped making homemade meals when Sarah’s dad left two years ago. She said TV dinners were fine for her when she was young, so her kids would have to eat them too. Sarah didn’t understand why her mother called them "TV dinners". Her mother forbid them from watching TV at the table, but she still always called frozen dinners, TV dinners. Sometimes her mother could be a real phony.


Sarah dumped the plate into the trash, covering it with the box and some crumbled papers so her mother wouldn’t see it. She rummaged through the cabinet and found a silver pouch of strawberry Poptarts. They were stale and crumbled as she took tiny bites. With each bite, she hit redial until Payne answered his phone. 


“Hey. It’s me.”


“Me who?” he asked cackling. 


“Me, me, your best girl.” Sarah brushed pop tart crumbs onto the floor so her dog, Boo Boo could get them. “You go to school today?”


“Nope. Went downtown with Bear.”


Sarah winced. “Bear? I thought you weren’t friends anymore.”


“Nah. It’s all good. We went to the Point and walked around for a while.”


“What about your English paper?”


“You read that mouse book last year. Didya keep your paper?”


Sarah loved Of Mice and Men and got an A+ on her paper, which had a Mickey Mouse pushpin holding it to her bulletin board. She chewed the last bite of stale Poptart. “Nope. Tossed it.”


“You never toss anything. See if you can find it.”


“My mom is trying to break me of being a pack rat. Made me toss all of my papers.”


“You must remember some of it. You can help me write my report tomorrow after school. Gotta go. See you at the bus stop in the morning?”


“OK. I love you, Payne.”


Sarah stared at her phone waiting for an answer, but the green light had already turned red and Payne hadn’t said "I love you too". Boo Boo whined for more crumbs. Sarah turned the silver Poptart wrapper inside out and let Boo Boo lick the gummy strawberry jelly from the wrapper. 


She jabbed at her phone again, and punched up the Wordle archive for the next puzzle. A-N-G-R-Y. She watched as all five letters turned gray.


She flipped the phone over and reread the last chapter of Catcher AGAIN. She was hoping this time she could figure out if Holden really loved Sally or Jane or anyone for that matter. The more times she read the book, the angrier she was with Holden for getting kicked out of school just like she was mad at Payne for flunking out of their public school and being sent to private school, repeating 9th grade.


She picked up the Wordle again and punched in L-I-A-R-S and five more gray letters flipped. Sarah got agitated since she burned two of her six chances and was no closer to knowing the outcome. She clicked the next button on the puzzle and turned off her phone.


She pulled her Of Mice and Men paper off of her bulletin board and stuffed it under mattress. She went back to started pouring over the last chapter of Catcher, hoping to figure out what it all meant and if Holden would every be happy with the women in his life and tell anyone he loved them.


The next morning, Sarah’s mood darkened when Payne wasn’t at the bus stop as he promised. He also didn’t answer his phone. His bus came and went. She got on hers and as the bus bumped through the neighborhoods, she tried another old Wordle. She entered the word P-I-S-S-Y. The I and S turned yellow, so she typed W-I-S-H-Y and they were still yellow with no green letters. She sighed loudly and shut her phone off.


At 1 PM she plopped into her seat in Mrs. M’s English class. She looked up and written on the board was the question “What is Holden’s feeling about women (Sally, Jane, his mother, Phoebe, etc.) and why? Use up to three quotes to support your answer.” YES! She thought, Mrs. M read her mind and came through again!


“Okay class! Pop quiz,” Mrs. M said looking like a madman who was so pleased with herself. “You can use your books.” We will discuss this after the quiz.


Sarah stared at her tablet and typed the words "Pissy and Wishy". The quote to support it is “Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

May 19, 2023 15:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Martin Ross
20:10 Jan 14, 2024

Wordle was a great device to move the story forward, and I liked the pace — starting from the bones up works better for me than trying to trim the fat afterwards. Sarah and Payne both had their difficult issues, but Holden C. Was no Mr. Sunshine either. Some grammar and punctuation things, but a well-told story and believable characters👍

Reply

Jody S
16:21 Jan 15, 2024

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my tale! I am a kitchen sink writer (toss it all in and then pare down)...that has always been my writing style for better or worse! Holden is one of my all time favorite characters. I have lost track of how many times I have read Catcher. That book has influenced me more than any other and I read it going on 50 years ago!! Thank you for the comment on Wordle being a good device to move the story forward! That was important to me to have that hook and pull to do so. Yes, I definitely need to...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
19:24 Jan 12, 2024

Hey Jody, I really loved the use of Wordle through this, really clever imagery and love how it showed a window to Sarah’s character, really understood her anxiety and need for closure, a relatable feeling. I have to admit Payne does sound like a pain… would be good to know more about him :) looking forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

Jody S
19:38 Jan 12, 2024

Thanks, Claire!! Much appreciated that you took the time to read my story. These are characters I hope to continue....they just need to talk to me more so I can tease out the stories. I am a huge Wordle fan and usually the first word I use is my mood in 5 letters!! So far, I have not yet had that be THE WORD!! Maybe someday and hopefully it will be HAPPY! Thanks again! Looking forward to getting to know you and your writing better as the reads go on!!

Reply

Claire Trbovic
19:46 Jan 12, 2024

Ah I know the feeling, character development is never a short road… Honestly I’ve recently got back into Wordle and I’m obsessed (again), I’m far less creative than you and always use ACORN, sadly no luck getting a hole in one hah! I tell you what the whole Wordle concept / character piece would be a great idea for a stand alone story, almost like diary format with a new word for each day, maybe Sarah will come out again to tell that :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Galen Gower
02:18 Jul 06, 2023

Just dropping this here in case me asking for more stories from you is all it takes... I hope you are well and everything is going smoothly!

Reply

Jody S
17:51 Jul 06, 2023

Hey Galen, thanks for checking in. My writers block is back and I haven't been able to get anything out. My characters told me where they wanted to go with the story and I didn't like it so we are at an impasse. I will look at the new prompts and see if any speak to me! I will also need to check out what you have been writing! Take care and thanks again for checking in! Jody

Reply

Galen Gower
18:31 Jul 06, 2023

Ah, that's no good! Let me know if you want any of the writing exercises I work on between stories. I've found it really helps keeps the pathways open to constantly be doing little bits like that. And write a story on the prompts tomorrow even if they don't speak to you! The worst thing that will happen is you write a bad story. It'll have plenty of company, plus you can always delete it later if you hate it, but I'm sure you'll turn out something fun to read, which is why I was pestering you. WRITE ME A STORY!!! Good to hear back, I hop...

Reply

Jody S
18:37 Jul 06, 2023

Thank you for the inspiration! Yes, please send the exercises. My bio has my poetry writing dog's Instagram handle and you an PM me there. The dog and I have been writing silly poems, but my fiction portal is all gunked up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
02:12 Jul 03, 2023

This does not seem to bad as a story in itself. I am from the ''less-is-more'' school of writing, so I like what you have here. But if you want to tell us more... ;)

Reply

Jody S
13:28 Jul 03, 2023

Thanks! I am just not sure about it yet! Still debating if the story needs to be told.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
22:05 May 22, 2023

Hi Galen, lovely to hear from you! Thank you for your feedback! I will look for the editing/spelling challenges--as always--I am great at finding these things for others, but couldn't find my own if they were snakes on my fingers. I do see this as a chapter from a larger story--the characters here are of the many that live in my head and need to be heard. Sarah is a lost soul--I am happy the comment about wildflowers resonates. That would be the underlying theme of her story--as in are the boys--weeds or wildflowers--although Payne (name...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Galen Gower
20:55 May 22, 2023

Seems like you said what you wanted to say here. I enjoyed the theme. There a just a few copy edit-level things where you have a few misspellings, but that's easy to fix. Were you treating this like a chapter from an overall larger story? Characters don't have to be completely likable to be compelling. Your comment about wildflower/attention gathering is really intriguing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
20:03 May 19, 2023

Don't understand why Sarah would want to be with someone like Payne. She seems so serious about the written word and how people feel and he hasn't a clue or a care about anyone or any thing.

Reply

Jody S
22:51 May 19, 2023

Thank you for the feedback. Sarah is a flawed character and has very little self esteem. Payne was one of the first boys to pay her any attention and since her dad left, she gathers male attention like wildflowers, wherever she can pick them. I struggle to balance back story and front story when writing under 3000 words...but this is a good reminder that I need to improve upon getting the backstory subtly woven into the story. I was debating blowing this out to a teen novel but both characters are essentially unlikable for different reason...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.