The noble and the maid

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about someone looking to make amends for a mistake.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction

Jaylee stood by the thick double doors just inside the room watching with hidden disdain the group of young noblemen drink and eat without care. The room was heavy with the late summer air. Dust danced happily in the sun’s rays. The thick, burgundy drapes over the window were half drawn but it let no relief to the room’s occupants. A huge fireplace stood to one side of the room, it’s yawning mouth dark without fire. The mahogany coffee table in front of it was laden with golden statues and the walls with its expensive collection of candlesticks and stuffed animals. A comfortable leather couch and matching armchairs were placed on all sides of the table.

“Oh, maid, here you are!” at the young lord’s loud voice all of his friends turned to her. Only she saw the evil grin stretch across his face before he hid it behind his usual arrogant mask. “Serve us lunch. We will eat here. And hurry.” with a shake of his hand he turned back to his friends who looked at him strangely. “What?”

“What did that maid do to you? ”

“A maid doesn’t have any power over me, you should know better.”

“Oh, I know better. But you’re a womanizer. You sooner take them into your bed than they have the time to get to know the mansion when they arrive.” his friend, George said with a frown.

“What? She didn’t want to share your bed?” After a moment of tense silence where everyone waited for his denial, laughter broke out. “Oh, come on, that’s impossible. What maid would refuse you?”

“And now you take revenge on her? That’s quite childish, friend.”

“Oh, George, loosen up! I think it’s funny. A little cat and mouse game with the little flower. I’m sure she’ll come around.”

“Yeah, to kick him in the balls, maybe. That one seemed like a fighter. And if she refused him once, she wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Wasted time, if you ask me.”

“Yeah. And no one asked you.” their laughter echoed through the house. It was only interrupted by a quiet feminine voice.

“Sir, your lunch is ready.” With much-practiced care she laid down the dishes in front of the four men. “If you will excuse me, I leave you to your lunch and will return for the dishes later.” her curtsey was stopped short.

“Stay, if we need anything else.” when she opened her mouth Alden leaned forward on the table. “You will stay and wait on us. All day, if you have to.”

After that afternoon, time flew by quickly. Alden had to take care of several business trips, and visits to their land to check on their family business. But even during these outings, he was contemplating more and more ways to take his revenge on the little maid. He wouldn’t let her get away with her sauciness.

He was just passing a door when he heard two maids whispering.

“I can’t believe she is gone. She was one of the most hard-working person I know.”

“I don’t think it was about her quality of work.” the other sighed. “I heard she neglected to do her tasks that day when the young Lond’s friends were here.”

“Oh, poor girl. I hope she’ll be all right. Maybe we should visit her.”

As the voices faded away Alden just stood there shocked. He had a feeling who the maids were talking about. A slow, subtle burning started in the middle of his chest.

“Why am I even thinking about it?.” shrugging it off, he continued his way to his father’s study.

“Ah, Alden, come in.” once the young man took one of the chairs in front of his desk Alastair continued. “You did a great job with the land inspection and I appreciate your suggestions. I’ll take it up with the workers what they think of them.”

“I still don’t understand why you need to consult with them. You are their Lord. You should have absolute say in anything that happens. If the work gets harder because of it, it shouldn’t be our concern.”

Alastair dropped his pen on the table and looked into his child’s eyes. Alden really seemed oblivious to things. With a deep, suffering sigh, he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Son. We have our own land as nobles and have the final say in everything that happens on it, that’s true. But” he added when Alden’s face lit up with a smug smile” you have to understand that this fortune is partly because of the people who are working for us.

“That’s not true. We are one of the first noble families in the country, we…”

“Yes, we are. But that’s only by a chance of birth. We had the fortune to be born into a wealthy and noble family that has the respect of the country. That’s why we have to share our fortune with as many people as we can. Give them work so they can pay their bills and live a normal life; ask for their opinion on something that they know better than we do. And son, they know better what would work in the process. Even though I see all of the numbers, they are the ones making those numbers. If they say this idea would slow them down, those numbers would lower. The easier their job, the higher their morale, the higher they produce. It’s better that you learn this simple truth.” Before Alden could answer he pushed a huge stack of papers toward him. “Please take these into the city and give them to Burt Falken.”

Alden looked at the papers with disgust. He still didn’t understand why his father didn’t send a servant instead. He grabbed the papers without any further word, though.

Once the carriage departed to the city, he had a lot of time to think. Thoughts about the maid invaded his thoughts and that unfamiliar burning sensation returned to his chest. He rubbed at his chest absently, not really understanding what was happening. He should just forget about that girl, she was a servant after all.

The city was crowded, dirty, and depressing. Being from the country he was used to nature’s greenery. But this place smelled. Of dirt, of feces, piss, and sickness. And those buildings! You always had to keep your eyes open if you didn’t want a brick to land on your head.

Quickly so he didn’t have to spend more time in this cursed place he made his visit than hurried back to his transportation. Two elderly women stood by Burt’s store pointing at something behind his back.

“Poor girl. Be it shiny or rainy, she always stands there selling those vegetables.”

“I heard that she had worked in the mansion. It’s hard to imagine that the Lord fired the poor thing. That Lord always tries to help the people around him. Everyone respects him and would certainly run to his aid would he ask for it.” the other woman said.

Alden followed the women’s gaze and stopped dead in his tracks. His mouth fell open, he hardly recognized the maid. The girl’s clothes were worn out, some places masterly, but visibly repaired. The dark circles under her eyes, the brackets around her mouth were testament to her struggles.

“Since her father’s accident, she is the only one who can make their living.”

“Oh, I remember. And he was such a talented carpenter. And I remember her mother had passed away.”

The burning in Alden’s chest intensified. And a little sound started nagging at him. When the girl looked up to hunt for possible buyers, he ducked his head and hurried back to the carriage. He had never done that before, he thought angrily. For him to run away from a single girl…. Still, no matter how many times he told himself, the unknown feelings kept growing inside him. And they weren’t comfortable.

By the time he reached the house, he was ready to jump out of his skin. He paced in his room until he couldn’t take it anymore. With determined steps, he went in search of his father.

“Alden! What brings you here? You seem… upset.”

“There was this girl…” Alden started. “A maid, called Jaylee. She was released from our service some days ago.”

“Ah, yes.” he nodded in acknowledgment. His voice was quiet. “It’s rare that we hire anyone that is not adequate for a job. She was with us for a short time, but one day she didn’t do any of her tasks. Those that were taken care of were also too hasty to count as finished work. Unfortunately, we sometimes have to make difficult decisions. But there are many people who would be happy to work here. We can’t let anyone who doesn’t take her place here seriously to take the place of such a person.

“When you told her she is fired and why, what did she say?”

“Nothing. It wasn’t her place.” Alistair’s intense gaze rested on his son. He knew something was up. “What could she have said?”

“That… that I ordered her to stay with us all day.” Alden’s words were so quiet, he wasn’t even sure his father heard him.

But if he thought his confession would change anything, he was mistaken.

“Unfortunately, she was already fired. I can’t take her back or my word will mean nothing. It’s done, son. But I hope you at least learned your lesson. Always think of your actions, because it will affect people. Some more than others.

Suddenly Alden saw the whole confrontation with the maid in a different light. His ears reddened at the thought of how many times he had bedded the maids. And they had never refused. He thought they had enjoyed his attention. But maybe they hadn’t dared to say anything, not to anger him. At the thought, his stomach roiled.

“There has to be something I can do to help.” he forced through numb lips. Seeing the papers his father was reading, an idea slowly started to form in his mind. “I might be able to find a way.” with renewed determination he hurried from the office.

Two months later a fancy carriage stopped in front of the modest house at the edge of the nearby village. Even though it was tidy Alden could say it saw better days. A dirt road led up to the building. A broken bucket stood alone by the door. Behind the house another building stood, its doors closed.

“Can I help you, Sir?” an older man stood in the door. His face creased with wrinkles that life carved into his skin. One of his arms rested across his chest in a sling.

“Good morning. You must be Mr. Calvert.” at his nod Alden continued, a little nervous now that he was there. “I’ve heard you are an exceptional carpenter. I would like to offer you a job at my manor. You would be my master carpenter responsible for the house’s furnishing.”

The sudden smile that brightened the wrinkled face took years from his age. Alden suddenly saw a different man in front of him. One that enjoyed life, and what life gave him, however small that was. Someone that was proud of what he can do and he loved what he did.

But as soon as the smile came, his face darkened. Looking down at his arm, he tried to move it, than with a resigned sigh he gave up. Devastated eyes, void of his previous happiness, looked back at Alden.

“I’m sorry Sir, but I must decline. I had an accident some years prior, and I can’t use my arm as I should to fulfill such an important role. Nevertheless, I thank you for coming all this way personally to ask me.”

“I knew of your accident before coming here, Mr. Calvert. And I came up with a solution that hopefully, you will find acceptable.” Alden gulped at the little hope that shone again from the man’s gaze. “I have carpenters at my disposal. But I would like you to take up the title of master. It would be up to you to decide what furniture would be best for the manor, design them, then make sure what the others do under your guidance is what you would deem worthy of the manor.”

He watched as a myriad of emotions flashed on the weathered face that finally stopped on a bright smile.

“Sir, that is most generous of you. I accept with great honor. I will do everything so you won’t ever regret choosing me.” he said with a deep bow. Alden already liked this man.

“I know I won’t regret it. A chose the best.”

At the compliment, the man just laughed wholeheartedly. His contagious joy contagious, had Alden chuckling along with him.

“Jaylee, Jaylee, come here. We got wonderful news, girl.” he hollered into the house.

Alden felt his stomach drop. As the girl emerged with an amused smile, Alden’s face changed to crimson in his shame. He knew what would come. And true enough, as soon as Jaylee spotted him, her smile fell into a frown. Those eyes flashed with the well-known fire as she eyed Alden. Oblivious to their troubled relationship, her father grabbed her hands.

“This fine gentleman just gave me a job. I would be the master carpenter in his manor.”

Jaylee’s forced smile could not hide the regret that flashed across her face. Of course, after she sent him a glare, promising certain death.

“Dad. Your hand. You can’t work with that.” she almost whispered. “But don’t worry, I’ll make everything work. We’ll get through this, as we did with everything else so far.”

“My sweet girl.” Mr. Calvert framed the lovely face and kissed her forehead. The love between the two was so obvious, Alden felt like an intruder on their private moment. “The young Sir made sure that I can work. He will give me workers, and I will lead them in their work. It’s true I can’t work as a carpenter anymore because of this.” his voice lowered with regret, eyeing the useless arm. But he shook his melancholy off quickly. “But I can still create furniture. You don’t have to do everything by yourself anymore, Jaylee. I don’t want to lose you, girl. I will help you like a father should his only daughter.” He turned back to Alden. “Thank you, Sir, again for this opportunity. I’ll go now and check my tools at once.” with that he left them alone, too excited to wait any longer.

Alden looked after him, amusement and happiness tickling through his soul. He never thought helping someone would feel this great.

He turned back to Jaylee. The girl stood there so lost, but she still wasn’t afraid to look him straight in the eyes. With a heavy sigh, Alden did something he had never done before. He tried to apologize.

“I’m really sorry for my actions that day Jaylee. I hope I can make amends, try to correct my wrongdoings.”

“Yes, I can see that.” Jaylee released a sigh and waved a hand toward the little cottage where the sounds of tools could be heard. “You made him very happy. Thank you for that, Sir.” her eyes flashed with warning at him. “But do not use my father to your enjoyment. If you only want him to work for you so you can continue with your childish revenge, you better forget it. My father is not your plaything. And neither am I.”

She was ready to fight, Alden could see. Her straight posture, shoulders drawn back, eyes alert to anything he would try. Holding his hands up in surrender, he took a step back from this ferocious woman.

“No! That’s not my intention. I wanted to apologize for what I have done and wanted to correct it. I took out my share of our family business and bought a manor. I really need your father to help furnish it.” he paused a little, suddenly unsure of his plan. “Also, I want to hire you as a maid. As the maid who leads the house. Your task would be to direct all the servants in the house and be responsible for the daily tasks, should you agree to it.”

Alden gulped as Jaylee eyed him suspiciously. His hands started to sweat.

“Is this some kind of charity? If you think you can buy me… You still can’t do anything with me even if you’re my employer.”

“Nothing like that. I’ve learned my lesson.” Alden felt his ears get hot. He could only imagine his blushing face. Jaylee’s sudden laugh had him look up.

“You are blushing. Is this real then? I can get my job back?”

“Not the same job, but yes. Also, you can live in the manor.” seeing the uncertain glance at the little house, he quickly added. “With your father, of course.”

“That would be fantastic. Thank you, Sir.” her shy, careful smile lifted his spirit and made him hope in a brighter future.

“It’s the least I can do after what I happened. ”

As Alden stepped foot into his father’s mansion, he felt the pressure leave his chest. For the first time in his life, he apologized and tried to correct his mistake. And in doing so, he brought happiness into two persons’ life. Two servants, who deserved his respect for the way they lived their lives even when everything was hopeless. Tomorrow he will start to move into the manor to start his life apart from his parents. It was time he lived up to their standards.

Whistling a happy tune he headed for the stairs. He did not see his father draw back into his office, with a relieved and proud smile on his face. 

August 14, 2020 20:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.