Found At Last

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story that involves love at first sight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

I gagged unconsciously as yet another couple's lips met. Christmas was quickly rounding the corner, and all this garbage about holiday romance and kisses under the mistletoe was finally starting to get under my skin. More than just under my skin. It was burning my insides, and my heart was right in the middle of it all. Christmas was meant to be a time of cheer and gratitude, giving and compassion. Instead all I felt was loneliness. Friends were constantly shopping, attending dates, and pushing aside all thoughts of me. I think my depressing attitude was contagious. I couldn't stand all this lovey-dovey business.

I high-pitched squeal stopped my train of thought. A crowd had gathered around the huge town Christmas tree. I rushed over to find out what was happening, almost tripping over my undone shoelaces. A man knelt on one knee, holding out something sparkling and glittering to a shocked girl. Ugh. Another proposal. I rolled my eyes and grumbled, catching a few annoyed looks from the cheering crowd. I stalked off. Love at first sight was something I would never be able to grasp. Don't get me wrong, I'd had my fair share of happy relationships, but happy as they were, they never lasted. I pulled my jacket tighter around myself and trudged through the light snow. I found a food van and payed for a coffee.

"Merry Christmas!" The man said cheerfully, but the smile didn't quite reach his eyes. "Have a good one!"

When I didn't answer, his smile softened, and he looked at me sympathetically. I hurried through the snow to the mall, where shoppers were busy buying last-minute gifts for their loved ones. I browsed through shops absentmindedly, pretending to be interested in the items, but not even registering what I was holding in my hands. I cast a quick look around the mall, trying to find somewhere quiet to escape to.

That's when I saw her.

Thick, golden locks hung loose over her shoulders, and a fluffy white coat made her cheeks flush pink. She wore light brown heels, but they did nothing to make her reach even people's shoulders. She was stunning. Her eyes caught mine, and warmth spread through my body. She generated an aura of gentleness and peace, and beauty.

So this is what love at first sight felt like.

November 18, 2019 07:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.