Into the Dark

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

Suspense Horror

A cool afternoon breeze washes through the leaves of the rows and rows of trees as shiny red fruits dangle from the branches. The two girls take their time strolling up the mile-long row of trees, swaying their baskets back and forth as they walk in the fading sunlight. 

”Tiana, over here,” Faye calls, her wavy, light brown hair blowing in the gentle wind. 

Tiana quickly rushes over to her friends’ side, both of them picking the few ruby red apples from the tree. Looking up at the orange and pink sky, Faye frowns as she glances down the row of trees.

”It’s gotten dark so much quicker than I thought,” Faye says, glancing over at Tiana as she searches for more apples. ”Come on, we should head back now.”

”Oh alright.” She replies grumpily.

”What?”

”It’s not my fault you’re afraid of the dark.” Tiana answers, smirking as Faye rolls her eyes.

”Who knows what comes out at night - it’s unpredictable and I don’t like it.” Faye explains, folding her arms over her chest.

”Well come on then, we won’t make it back before dark if we don't get a move on now.”

Faye rolls her eyes again before following Tiana back down the row of trees they had just recently walked up. Turning back, she reaches out for Fayes’ hand, a kind, gentle smile spreading across her face as she grins and takes it in her own. Their hands swaying back and forth in big arcs as they slowly make their way through the trees.

“Wait for a second,” Tiana interrupts, pausing as she squints her eyes. “The lights at the shed have turned off.”

Faye stands on her tiptoes to peek over the top of the leaves, the distance dark as the sun begins to disappear from the sky.

“We should’ve left earlier,” Faye answers shakily, gripping Tianas’ hand tightly.

“Ow.” She yelps, quickly pulling her hand away. “You’re going to squeeze the life out of my hand.”

“Sorry, I’m just nervous.”

They take a deep breath before continuing the hike back to the shed, the distance dark and gloomy as Faye peers over her shoulder. Swinging her basket back and forth she hears a quiet thud from behind her.

”Wait, Tiana - I dropped an apple.” Faye says, bending down and picking it up from the ground. ”Alright let's go - ”

Faye nervously scans the trees, gulping as the sunlight disappears over the roof of the shed.

”Tiana this isn’t funny!” She shouts, spinning around as she squints her eyes to try spot any movement. ”Tiana come out! You know I hate it when it’s dark!”

Fayes’ breathing soon becomes heavier and faster as she quickly walks in the direction of the shed. The once cool and gentle breeze soon turns into more of a strong current, like you’re stuck in a river and can’t stop yourself from travelling further down the stream. Glancing behind her foot catches on a small stone, sending her plummeting to the ground, dirt covering her pale coloured shirt and skirt. Carefully rising from the ground she attempts to dust the dirt from her clothes, the apples catching her eye as they roll from the basket.

Her heavy breathing echoes in her ears as the leaves rustle in the frosty gusts of wind. The winds’ chill leaves a dry taste in her throat as she takes deep breaths, her long hair sticking to her lips when it blows across her face. 

Dark clouds rumble over the once clear, starry sky, the field being swallowed up by the fierce darkness. Backing into the trees her skin brushes against the rough leaves, branches poking through her clothes. 

Glancing up the row and back down it, she slowly walks away from the tree, her hands at her chest as shivers run up her spine. 

”Tiana?” She asks, her voice shaking as she speaks. ”Tiana please come back, I - I don't want to leave you here.”

Silence.

”Tiana please!” Faye shouts, a salty tear running down her pale cheek and onto her dry lips. Gulping, she steps over her basket with a shaky leg, slowly heading

towards the shed. 

Jumping out of her skin, Faye falls to the ground as she hears a deafening scream in amongst the trees. Her hands tremble on her chest as she huddles against the thin trunk of a tree. Bursting into tears she pulls her knees to her chest, her tears instantly drying on her cheeks as the frozen wind splashes against her.

She’s not coming back.

Quickly pulling herself together, Faye awkwardly stands up from the ground but almost falls back down again as she hears faint footsteps in the distance, their dark clothing only just outlining their body. Fayes’ heart skips a beat as she begins to sprint towards the shed. Running faster than ever before, she struggles to keep fatigue from overcoming her. 

Her chest tightens as her legs begin to fail her, the cold air freezing her feet and making her slow down. Faye glances up, the shed now closer, the entrance insight.

Peeking behind her, Faye lets out an ear-piercing scream as she stumbles backwards. A dark figure standing before her.

”Please.” She cries as she takes a step back, her foot crashing into a small, tin bucket. 

The figure takes slow steps towards her, the strong winds blocking out anything they could've said. In a rash decision, Faye hurriedly bends down and grabs onto the tin buckets’ handle., violently swinging the bucket across the persons’ head. The figure kneels to the ground as they hold the side of their face, Fayes jaw-dropping as she watches them.

Turning back around she makes a quick escape by sprinting towards the shed, dirt flicking up from her heels as she flees. 

The tall shed soon towers over her, the door finally in arm's length. Reaching out for the door handle she twists it - but the door wouldn't open. Faye tugs on the door handle, a lock rattling against the tin door.

”No, no, no, no.” She murmurs, glancing behind her for any unwanted guests. Faye squints as she looks around the door. Nothing to be seen.

Shaking, Faye scrambles around to the other side of the shed, the main entrance now in front of her. Faye reaches out for the handle and twists it, the door not opening a crack. Yanking the handle towards her she stumbles back, the door flinging open and slamming against the wall of the shed. She stares at the open door in amazement and shock before switching back and rushing inside. Locking the door from the inside, she rushes over to the side of the room and heaves the heavy cupboards and tables in front of the front and back doors.

Faye stands in the middle of the room with her arms crossed, barely able to see the wall in front of her. Squinting her eyes she looks closely at the desk, relief overcoming her as she spots a phone beside the computer. She quickly picks it up and dials emergency services, impatiently waiting for someone to answer.

Faye sighs as she hears a friendly voice on the other side of the line. Taking the phone from the desk she sits underneath it with her knees pulled to her chest.

”I’m at the apple tree farm, someone - someone took my best friend and - ch - chased me back to the shed.” Faye stutters, a tear running down her pale cheeks as she shivers.

Bang!

Fayejumps in shock, almost dropping the phone as she turns around to face the back of the shed.

”They - they’re here. They found me, please hurry and send someone.” She whispers, her voice cracking as she carefully listens to the woman reassure her. 

Putting the phone down beside her, Faye buries her head on her knees, hugging them tightly as she attempts not to burst out in tears.

”They can’t get in. They can’t get in. They can’t get in.” She quietly repeats, her surroundings going dead silent.

Gulping, Faye glimpses around the corner of the desk, both doors still blocked as a slight shimmer of moonlight peeks in underneath the furniture. She stares at the light under the door, no one standing in front of it to block out the glow. Faye switches between both doors as a faint noise echoes in the distance, someone suddenly moving in front of the door and away again. Her breathing becomes heavy as she watches the door without blinking.

”Who’s there!” Someone shouts from outside, Faye flinching as she hears them outside.

More and more shadows block the moonlight from under the door as more and more voices shout from outside the shed. Creeping out from underneath the desk, Faye wearily rises from the cold, concrete floor, trembling.

”Hey kid! Are you in there?” A man shouts from outside the shed. ”It’s alright, just the police.”

Carefully walking towards the entrance, she drags the table away and unlocks it, the officer quickly opening the door before she could. The bright car lights shine into her eyes, the area now lit up with bright lights. Faye slowly walks out of the shed and to the corner of the building, staring out into the huge field of apple trees.

This is why I hate the dark.

October 15, 2020 04:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.