3 comments

Adventure

As the man walked across the street, he was approached by a salesman full of energy and confidence. "Got some time?" the peppy salesman questioned. "Time?" the man asked in confusion. "Would you like to buy some time?" the salesman asked again, as he continued walking next to the man who was in a rush.

.The man asked, "I don't understand," to which the salesman went on to explain that he could sell the man some time, for a modest fee. He said 'to buy some time for those extra minutes that he may need to get away from his wife and to be a little late for work..

 The man glanced at his wristwatch, sighed and said "if only" before turning to leave the strange salesman where he stood.

 As he started his day at work, he couldn't help but think that if he could buy some time,maybe he could work a few more hours and earn enough money to purchase a few days' worth of much needed extra time. With curiosity, he searched the city for the salesman he had seen that morning, hoping to find a way to buy some himself some time.

He searched and searched for days, never giving up hope. Then one day, out of the blue, the salesman appeared again. He had a newfound pep in his step and the same sales pitch as before; "How about a few minutes to spare? Do you have the time?"

Without a minute to spare, he quickly reached into his breast pocket and pulled out his checkbook. He licked the tip of his pen and told the salesman that he would like to purchase some time. His urgency was palpable as he scribbled out the check, hoping to make it before the time was up.

The salesman gave the man his price for the precious moments he'd have to spend however he'd like. He was very straightforward in his quote, making sure the man knew exactly what he was getting.

The salesman went on to explain that he was offering an unbeatable deal - a month of Sundays for the price of one, and he'd even throw in some down time too. At this, the man asked the salesman what time it was, to which the salesman replied with a smile, "It's time to buy!"

He let out a deep exhale of relief as he signed the check. It had been a long and time consuming ordeal, but now it was finally over.

He felt refreshed and a newfound sense of happiness as he went about his day. The time he had bought came in handy more times than not, such as when he wanted to spend a few more hours napping. When the grandkids were being too loud, he would use the time he had bought and take a moment to himself.

He'd use the time to wonder away, thinking about all the senseless chores his wife had asked him to do that he thought were pointless. He'd use a few more minutes to daydream about taking a few hours off for a day, even though he knew it would be hard to find the time. He'd spend the time he had trying to make the most of the time he'd bought.

One day he noticed that time was running out. He had this idea that he still had time to spend with his loved ones, so he tried to help his wife with the things she needed. But she had found a way to do many of the things he used to do for her, by herself, When he went to work, he forgot he had retired, he realized how much time had passed. His grandkids had grown and had kids of their own. He was sure he had bought enough time to spend with them, but where did it all go He pondered how this had happened. He remembered when times were so simple, when he was a boy and the days seemed to drag on forever. He wished time would speed up, but now as an old grey grampa, he wished they would slow down some. He couldn't understand why he couldn't live in the moment and take it all in. He had missed so much. He had spent so much time on himself, neglecting the time they could have spent together. He had thought his plans were foolproof, ensuring he would have time on his hands, but he had bought too much time and now there was nothing worthwhile to spend it on. His wife had now passed away and he regretted not spending his downtime with her. He sadly thought how he had wasted his time, feeling somewhat sold short. He had not needed to buy time, he had bought too much. Now he had more than enough, and he wished his time was up.

He realized then that he had too much time on his hands, then and He learned that quality time wasn't for sale, for it was priceless,But now his time had run out, and he was left with a feeling of regret. He wished he had used his time more wisely and appreciated the moments he had. He was reminded that life is precious and time is a precious commodity. He had been given a gift, and he had wasted it.

Perhaps he felt he had cheated himself out of idle time; he had never borrowed time from the future, and now he had no time to turn back for the clock had run out. He had always wished he had spent more quality time, convinced that he had some extra time put aside for hard times, but not many of the times he spent on himself were good times, as his purpose was so self-indulgent. The time had gotten the best of him, and now it was up.

If only he had the opportunity to rewind time, he would do it without hesitation. Unfortunately, it is now his time to say goodbye, with not a second to spare.

March 03, 2023 23:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Serena Martinez
07:07 Mar 17, 2023

I couldn't believe it when I finished reading it - it felt like it was an amazing journey. It was an emotional roller coaster, as I felt I was involved in every event, and each choice made me more anxious to find out what was going to happen next. I loved the way it was . I could feel the characters emotions, felt the suspense and excitement, and really appreciated the clever plot and surprises. It was a fantastic job! Nice Desert.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Rush
13:46 Mar 11, 2023

Well done Tammy! The concept hurt my brain; in a good way. It bends the universe, really. But you did a good job of helping readers hang on to this wild proposal. Of course, the word "time" would have to be used in this piece a lot, but there were some gems peppered throughout and I wondered if that was purposeful or accidental. Time-consuming, quality time, time on his hands, downtime; all these raised the enjoyment level. I also wondered if you read your work aloud to yourself. That's a great technique for catching things in your writing...

Reply

19:41 Mar 11, 2023

I appreciate your feedback Mike, as I am grateful for the tips. I'll work on those things mentioned. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.