0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

(This story is set on Tellus,  Earth’s twin, 800 years younger, evolving.)

“Are you there God? It’s me Qima. I became a widow at age 18 and have been facing problems. You know my story and my suffering.” Hear her story as I tell it:

Qima was only 16 when she got married to Rusq who was a sailor. He was a handsome young man no doubt but he would often be away at sea. Of course he was coarse like all seafarers which Qima didn’t approve of. Otherwise they were a well matched couple. Two years after they were married Rusq was on a voyage to Knaq when his ship was attacked by pirates. All except two sailors on board were killed. It wasn’t an unexpected hazard but Qima was badly affected. She had to sell part of the land she owned to survive.

Roughly a year afterwards, the buyer of her land started house construction. That was how Qima came to know Drum. Drum had basically been a fisherman, but being anxious to be upwardly mobile, had learnt house building. His contact with neighbor Qima was established and it flowered into love. Qima approached law authority Juga with a request that she be permitted to marry Drum. Juga collected the details : Rusq was said to have perished in an attack by pirates but his body wasn’t found. Two sailors who had been working alongside Rusq swore that he had died and his body had been washed away.

Juga said “The law says that in such cases a 5 year wait is needed for remarriage. I’ve to think it over. Will you pay my fee?”

“I’ll pay whatever is needed.”

Juga asked for the fee and it was paid. Juga said “I’ve to speak to Drum also before I rule on the case.”

Drum came before Juga. Juga said “Qima said you want to marry her. But there is a 5 year wait if the body isn’t found. You see I’ve to take a difficult decision.”

Drum knew it was Juga’s approach for a bribe and said “I can understand. I’ll pay you a fee if you think over and offer a solution quickly.”

Juga said “I’m taking a risk in allowing this marriage. Fortunately there’re 2 live witnesses to Rusq’s demise. I’ll seek a fee proportional to the risk I’m taking.”

The fee demanded was discussed and paid.

Juga said “Okay you can marry Qima.”

Drum married Qima and moved into her house.

Over a year later there was a knock on the door and Drum opened it to see a man was standing outside. The man said “I’m Rusq. Where’s Qima? This is my house. Who are you and what’re doing here?”

Qima peeped out and was shocked to see her first husband Rusq.

Catching sight of her Rusq said “Qima I’m back. Throw this fellow out.”

Drum said “Wait a minute. That’s my wife you were talking to. You’ve no longer welcome here.”

Rusq laughed and said “You must be joking! I don’t know who you are and how rich you are. After surviving the pirate attack I went to Knaq where I’ve made a lot of money. I can buy you off. Now get out.”

Qima now spoke up. She said “Drum I don’t want that fellow.”

Rusq said “Okay then. I’ll seek justice from law officer Juga.”

Drum said “We assumed you were dead and so got married. Don’t disturb our peaceful life. I’ll give you money if you stay out. You could marry again and settle elsewhere.”

Rusq laughed and said “You’re speaking with no idea about my finances. I’ve all the money I need. I don’t need your money. I want my wife Qima back.”

Drum said “You heard her saying she doesn’t want you. If you think Juga can give you a solution go to him.”

Rusq left and was with Juga. Rusq said “I’m Rusq who was assumed dead after a pirate attack. Actually I survived, sailed to Knaq and there quickly made money. Now this fellow Drum is objecting to my getting back.”

Juga thought long and then said “Yours is a very complicated case. I’ve to think over a lot before I come up with a ruling.”

Rusq said “Hasten it and I’ll reward you. Here take an advance.”

The big advance  made Juga rethink. He ruled : ‘Qima had no right to marry within 5 years of her husband’s death as his body was not found. Her remarriage was permitted as a special case as 2 survivors of the tragedy swore that Qima’s husband had died. She should separate from Drum. Rusq has the right to live in Qima’s house.’  Rusq moved in easily as the house was spacious.

Drum was very disappointed. He approached Juga and said “Please re-examine the case. That fellow Rusq has moved in and he is going to demand access to Qima also.”

Juga said “It’s highly irregular to re-examine a case.”

Drum said “To help you to think faster and rule, I’m giving you this money.”

Juga said  “The case has become very complicated. I need more time to make a decision. For now I rule that Drum moves in with Qima and Rusq. The three will be one family.”

Rusq was happy but Qima wasn’t. She approached Juga and said “Your decision is wrong.”

He laughed and said “I didn’t know you knew law so well to make such a stupid remark! I’m the law authority and my decision can’t be challenged.”

Her aggressiveness faded and she asked “How will I.......how will I accommodate.....”

“I understand your question. Very simple. Sleep alternate nights with the 2 husbands. How do men manage with 2 wives? The same way.”

Qima said “I slept with Rusq 2 years but no issue.”

“Agreed. You’ve also slept with Drum with the same result. May be you’re barren. Continue living as directed.”

6 months passed and the 3 somehow managed to pull on together with great difficulty. Now came another complication: Qima announced she was in the family way!

Drum said “Qima it’ll be a challenge to the law authority to declare who the father is. I’m going to Juga. He’ll again say it’s very complicated and demand money.”

But Juga heard Drum and said “It’s very, very simple. The man who was husband longest is undoubtedly the father. Naturally Rusq is the father.”

Drum didn’t know that Rusq had already approached Juga with the problem. An appropriate fee had made Juga ready for the answer to suit Rusq!

“God I’m Qima again. I thank you for my having got into the family way. Juga’s pockets are full with money. But the embarrassment I’m facing with two husbands? You’ll say it is all kismet.”

END

February 08, 2022 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.