2 comments

General

April 9, 2021

Dear Diary, as I write this it has been four days thirteen hours twenty minutes, fifty seconds and twelve milliseconds since I've had a restful sleep. I long for the sweet slumber at night, to be cocooned in my bed with those convoluted images. What were those images called again? Delusions... no no....designs..c'mon.... Dreams! I don't understand why as the night falls I become more anxious, agitated, and awake. I sense this electric crackle of life; the loud vibrations of the crickets outside my window, the throaty calls of owls flying in the distance and the magnanimous flow of the vascular system of the wild hares in brush outside my window. I long to go out and be among this roar. I want to feel the silvery rays of light off that orb in sky. The noom is illuminating the entire neighborhood; no no not the noom the moon. Yet if I venture out, law enforcement will be notified, the device on my foot will alert them to my whereabouts. They shall be sent to retrieve me.

It started innocently enough; we weren't allowed out of the house due to the danger posed to us from this pathogen. Slowly, the time passed in our comfortable homes. More and more restrictions added to protect us. We grew complacent; too comfortable with all of the modern amenities. Nothing was for want; everything was provided. Protected in this bubble with nothing leaving or entering. I spend my days immersed in virtual reality; I’ve trekked the vastest deserts in the world. I have hiked deadly rainforests with large pythons and jaguars. I have swum the Great Barrier reef next to tiger sharks and giant manta rays. I have jumped off large cliffs with nothing but tiny pools and jagged rocks underneath. I have walked on glaciers, ice and snow in the coldest parts of the world. Nothing seems to frighten me any longer; I am invincible.

However, I fear I've started to change; started to become more primitive, sick of this security. There is now this primal urge to run barefoot over the grass. The primal urge to hunt in the night; to look at a wild beast so close in the eye that I could tell you color of its' iris. I long to savage the jugulars of these animals; burgundy viscous syrup leaking from them onto my warm flesh. I long to feel that warmth from this merlot metallic liquid in my throat; to keep me warm and to make me feel vitalized. Now I'm afraid to leave the house due to the danger I pose to others. I continue to count the days, minutes, and seconds until sleep may come to me.


Police report:

Case number: 323480                                           Date: April 10, 2021

Reporting officer: Daniel Brook                            Prepared by Angela Drebot

Incident/issue: Neighbors report that a man has left the confines of his home and was running around his front yard. He was dressed in a long brown robe with only undergarments underneath. He appears to be chasing a wild hare while making biting movements with his jaw.

Description of Accident/Issue:

Local officer Daniel Brook was dispatched to the address of 1432 Westminster street to assess a report of a man who has been disrupting the local peace. His neighbors report he has been running around his front yard screaming angrily and loudly. Officer Brook reports the man was dressed in long robe with only underwear and appeared to be violently chasing a wild hare in his yard. As Officer Brook approached, the man angrily screamed “I won’t go back in the house; I want to feast on the nectar inside the hare.” The man removed a fit bit that was attached to his ankle and threw it at the officer. Officer Brook attempted to reason with the man. Officer Brook stated “ No one is forcing him to stay home, but he did need to be quiet and not exposing himself to the neighborhood.” Next, the man lunged at his neck and bite his ear off. Officer Brook was able to subdue the man by tasering him to the ground.

Actions Taken:

Officer Brook subdued the individual and called for back-up. The responding officers reported the man was making guttural noises and lunging at them when they arrived. A Form-1 was completed for the man and he was to be taken into psychiatric hold at the nearby hospital. On the trip to the hospital, the man maintained that the officers cannot force him to stay home any longer; he does not care about the pathogens. He was screeching “I need to drink the metallic merlot” continuously. The man is being maintained at the hospital for at least a thirty-day hold.

Report Summary: 35 year old male was reported to the police by the neighbors due to being a public nuisance. The responding officer reported to the area of the incident and attempted to reason with the subject. The subject became agitated and attacked the officer; the subject bite the ear of the responding officer. The responding officer was forced to use his police issued taser to subdue the subject to prevent further bodily harm. The officer called for further back-up. Back-up officers report the subject appeared agitated and confused when they responded to the call. They committed the subject under a Form 1 and transported him to the local hospital for a psychiatric assessment. The psychiatrist who has assessed him; the assessment concludes that the subject has not slept for five days and has living in his home without other contact for at least five weeks. There are indications of very severe paranoid delusions which include: being under surveillance along with forced confinement due to a contagion situation. Further delusions include: being invincible and wanting to drink the blood of other animals and perhaps humans. The psychiatrist has assessed him to be a danger to himself and others in the community and has requested a hold for the subject for at least thirty days. The subject will be reassessed in thirty days to see if he is fit for return to his home.


April 11, 2020 01:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emily Perrins
17:06 Apr 16, 2020

Cool use of format and the differences in perspective that is conveyed. Nice one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Noel Thomas
11:18 Apr 16, 2020

Woah! Loved the imagery in the story and the suspense! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.