1 comment

Happy

The silence in Allan's normally bustling office was deafening. The phone, once a relentless harbinger of deadlines and crises, sat dormant. His inbox, usually overflowing with urgent emails, displayed a stark emptiness. Allan, a tightly wound coil for the past eighteen years, was finally unraveled, courtesy of a promotion that never came.

He'd dedicated his life to the mining company, clawing his way up from a fresh-faced trainee to a respected supervisor. For eighteen long months, he'd practically lived at the mine, filling in for the perpetually absent superintendent while maintaining his own demanding schedule. When the superintendent position finally opened, Allan, brimming with experience and a proven track record, was sure it was his.

But the promotion went to Marcus, a man known more for his elaborate excuses than his work ethic. Allan, his face a mask of suppressed fury, had stormed out of the CEO's office, his resignation letter burning a hole in his pocket. Now, amidst the sterile silence of his cleared-out desk, the anger simmered, threatening to boil over.

The tropical air hung heavy with the scent of plumeria and the incessant hum of cicadas. Allan, sprawled on a woven hammock strung between two swaying coconut palms, felt a foreign sensation wash over him – peace. It had been four months since he'd stormed out of his mining company office, his resignation a bitter pill to swallow. Eighteen years of dedicated service, of filling the shoes of the perpetually absent superintendent, all for the promotion to be handed to a man notorious for his "creative excuses" and questionable work ethic.

The sting of betrayal, however, had dulled considerably under the relentless Philippines sun. Allan, a man who thrived on structure and deadlines, had initially struggled with the abrupt change of pace. His first few weeks were a blur of restless nights and aimless days, the silence deafening after the constant clamor of the mine.

But something shifted during a sunrise boat trip in Palawan. As the fiery orange sun peeked over the horizon, casting a golden glow on the crystal-clear water, Allan felt a strange calmness settle over him. The frantic pace of his mind slowed, replaced by an appreciation for the simple beauty surrounding him.

He decided to embrace the unexpected break. He spent the next four months island hopping, marveling at the vibrant coral reefs of Boracay, exploring the chocolate hills of Bohol, and getting lost in the vibrant streets of Cebu. Each new experience chipped away at the tightly wound Allan, revealing a man who had forgotten the simple pleasure of living.

On a whim, while exploring a secluded cove in Siargao, known for its world-class waves, Allan stumbled upon a breathtaking stretch of pristine white sand. It was a hidden gem, untouched by the tourist hordes, with gentle turquoise waves lapping at the shore. A crazy idea, fueled by the newfound peace within him, ignited in his mind.

Back in Manila, armed with newfound purpose and a hefty severance package, Allan began his next chapter. He tracked down the owner of the cove and, after a series of negotiations punctuated by generous cups of strong coffee, secured the land. The life he'd envisioned for himself, one filled with power suits and corner offices, had receded. In its place, a simpler dream took root – a beachfront resort, built on his terms, where tranquility reigned supreme.

The initial months were a whirlwind of activity. Allan, the meticulous planner, surprised himself by his newfound ability to adapt. He learned to navigate the labyrinthine bureaucracy, haggle with local contractors, and even pick up a few basic Tagalog phrases. The frenetic energy wasn't the same as the stress-induced frenzy of his old life. This was a different kind of fire, fueled by passion and a deep connection to his new home.

Construction progressed at a leisurely pace, dictated by the rhythm of the island and the availability of local materials. Days were filled with the rhythmic hammering of skilled carpenters and the satisfying crunch of Allan's shovel as he helped clear the land for the main building. He learned to appreciate the slower pace, the focus on quality over speed.

The resort, christened "Malinawon," meaning "peaceful" in Cebuano, was a reflection of Allan's transformation. Each hand-crafted bungalow, nestled amidst lush palm trees, offered breathtaking ocean views and a sense of seclusion. The open-air restaurant, built from driftwood and salvaged materials, served fresh, locally sourced food. There were no televisions, no scheduled activities, just the gentle sound of the waves and the rustle of palm leaves.

Malinawon wasn't just a resort; it was an extension of Allan's newfound philosophy. He attracted guests who craved a digital detox, a chance to reconnect with themselves and nature. Yoga sessions were held on the beach at sunrise, followed by leisurely breakfasts overlooking the turquoise water. Evenings were spent stargazing on the beach, the Milky Way a breathtaking canvas above.

One evening, as Allan sat on a weathered bench watching a group of guests share stories and laughter under the starlit sky, a sense of satisfaction washed over him. He'd built something special, a haven for weary souls seeking peace. The injustice he'd faced at his old job seemed insignificant now.

The island life wasn't perfect. There were occasional power outages, unpredictable monsoon rains, and the constant battle with pesky sand crabs trying to colonize his beachfront property. But these were minor inconveniences compared to the relentless stress of his corporate life.

Malinawon wasn't just a beach resort; it was a testament to the unexpected twists of life. It was a reminder that sometimes, the greatest rewards come from slowing down, appreciating the journey, and allowing yourself to be surprised by the hidden havens waiting to be discovered.

Allan finally understood the wisdom in the oft-repeated phrase, "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey." He'd stumbled upon a life he never knew he craved, a life where slowing down wasn't a punishment, but a path to self-discovery and fulfillment. And as he gazed at the smiling faces of his guests, basking in the serenity of Malinawon, he knew he wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

June 07, 2024 08:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kristi Gott
06:01 Jun 15, 2024

A lovely story of discovery and personal transformation. There is a good character arc showing how the main character changes from a stressed corporate executive into a happier person who is more in harmony with the new life. Good writing and well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.