MOTHERHOOD

Submitted into Contest #20 in response to: Write a story about a day in the life of a mother.... view prompt

0 comments

General

‘Mummy I want more sauce’, Kemi prodded me on my arm to get my attention.

These days he ate like a hungry lion more than what a little child of his age should be eating. This was his third helping and the sauce left in the pot was for his father. He would not understand unless I showed him the empty pot.

‘Look, there is none left for your father to eat again. See, the pot is empty now’, I said as I tapped the empty pot to show him. He shrugged his shoulders and left with his plate.

In as much as I wished often for my children to be on holidays so I could take a break from the school runs and spend some time with them, I still dreaded it most times. Having three boys as well as a working class husband, all with voracious appetites, always made me spend almost the entire day in the kitchen especially when the boys were on holidays. I wondered how I would cope if I ended up getting the job I applied for. Anyways, it was better than not having any source of income since Kayode was always making comments that were an affront to my dignity each time I requested for money especially to buy my toiletries.

‘Why did you forcefully take it from me? My own TV programme has already started. Just give me the remote control’ I could hear Kola bellow at his elder brother Segun. I was jaded by his petulant quarrels with his elder brother. They never got along even for an hour and I wondered why that was so. I ignored their bicker and went on with putting the dirty clothes in the washing machine. Kola’s shriek seconds later, made me rush to the living room to see what had happened. They were still hitting each other when I saw them and as soon as they saw me, they stopped. Of course they knew what I would have done to both of them.

‘Give me the remote control’, I fumed.

‘Mum, it was…’

‘Close your mouth and I don’t want to hear a word from either of you’, I chided

‘Mummy can I watch my SpongeBob Square Pants’, Kemi said.

I gave him the remote control to put his own TV programme while I sent his brothers to their rooms. This was the third time they were fighting today and I was so sure that before the end of the day, they would fight a thousand and one times. I really needed to take a break from all these at least for my psyche. Kayode would never understand, he would think I was running away from my motherly responsibilities but there was more to that than he could tell.

He came home few minutes later and I had to warm his food that I had hidden from Kemi. I could tell from his demeanor that he must have had a hectic day at his workplace and was in no mood to talk. I silently served him his food and was quick to notice his repugnance at the sight of the food.

‘I thought you said you would prepare vegetable soup today. Why didn’t you cook it? I have been drooling over it since I was at the office and that was why I rushed home early’.

‘I’ve been quite busy since morning and I haven’t had the time to go to the market to buy some of the ingredients. These boys have not made it easy for me either. Don’t worry; I’ll prepare a very scrumptious vegetable soup for you tomorrow’, I said to placate him.

‘But why did you ask for money to go to the market since you knew you wouldn’t go to the market today’, he hissed as he washed his hands and still ate the food. I ignored his question and silently watched him eat. I was already used to his nagging each time he came home with a hangdog expression on his face. I could tell he was very hungry as he gulped his food. I ran his bath while he was almost done eating and came back to the kitchen to ponder over what to prepare for dinner. We were running out of foodstuff and I really needed to go to the market the next day no matter how busy it turned out for me. Although it was getting late, I decided to rest for a while before preparing dinner which I had finally concluded to be beans.

‘Mummy, I’m having a terrible headache and I can’t even play with my toys’ Kemi cried.

He ran to sit by me on the sofa and sobbed gently on my lap. He was running a fever. I remembered he was growing a new tooth and realized it must be the reason for the high temperature. I gave him an analgesic and dabbed his forehead with a very damp towel as he dozed off. I slept for a while too and when I woke up, it was way past time for preparing dinner. I had to get ready for Kayode’s tantrum over having to eat dinner late.

Segun and Kola peeped into the kitchen at intervals to see if dinner was ready. They were already ravenous even when they had a mound of yam for lunch. Surprisingly, Kayode did not come downstairs until food was ready and I could not help feeling relieved over this.

I had to feed Kemi myself since he would not feed himself. He always did this each time he was sick just so I could give him so much attention. I felt his fore head with the back of my palms and realized his fever had subsided.

‘Daddy do you know my body is very hot. Mummy said it’s because of my new tooth but I am also having headache’

‘Don’t worry it’s going to stop soon otherwise we would have to see the doctor’, Kayode said as he touched Kemi’s neck. Kemi’s countenance changed at the sound of the word doctor. He dreaded going to the hospital.

‘No dear, you are not going to see the doctor you’re already getting better. You just need to have your bath and sleep. I’m pretty sure by tomorrow you’ll feel a whole lot better’.

Segun washed the dishes as soon as they were all done eating. I hardly ate these days. Once I finished preparing the meals, my appetite was gone and I would only end up eating a tidbit and that was it. I had to bath Kemi myself too and rock him on my lap so he could sleep. I lay him on his bed once I was very sure that he was fast asleep and went to have my bath as well.

As exhausted as I was, I tucked myself in the duvet and said goodnight to Kayode who was already fast asleep. Our house was quite far from his place of work and he always left the house very early in the mornings in order to avoid being caught up in traffic .I could tell from the tiny creases by the corners of his eyes that he was pretty stressed out. I checked the time on my phone; it was already past ten! I knew I would not sleep in the next one or two hours. My insomnia was getting worse and I really needed to see the doctor. I barely had enough time to take care of myself.

I stared at the ceiling silently hoping to sleep off soon. I would still get up very early the next day, to prepare breakfast for Kayode.

‘Hmm’ I heaved a sigh.

Bunmi the thirty-three years old mother of three and full time housewife that barely had enough time to attend to herself. Yes! That was who I had gradually become overtime.



December 15, 2019 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.