The Limelight Polychrome

Written in response to: Set your story at a work holiday party,... view prompt

0 comments

Christmas Friendship Holiday

               The limelight polychrome


         There is a time to consider many things you may attend, such as night school, the art gallery, a museum, or a ride that took you over the border, but you look up and say “I forgot one, the work party, where I was summoned to take care of the bookkeeping, the negotiations and the catering. The first two, alright, not too much a problem but that catering is, ‘food for thought’. You ponder and look around you hoping that this party will be the beginning of something that makes work a forty hour prelude to a gala event. It is not even 20 hours as you are part time but you get the full load of full time duty, for when duty calls, you are the first to answer, and the last to be recognized. But you find, you like it all. You ponder. You gaze.

         This sounds like someone else and it could be anyone who works at this place which caters to helping people in times of stress, and let us remember, their superiors define the meaning of stressors and ailments in need of attention. One of those superiors is me. Actually I jest for most of the time, to supervise myself is a full time job, and then some. But the superiors, who don’t like to be called that, do come in and out of their office, but reside in their offices, and make their big debut at what we all call, the ‘office party, with no official party line.’ And here we are now, all strolling into the large room where the big conferences are held, topics from “How to help a person in dire need’, to ‘Oh from where will we fund our next space mission.’

         I seem to have been born with this type of humor, although some might say “I’ve been afflicted with it”. The real funny ones which includes just about everyone here. This is a festive place to work in most of the time, even for the full time workers who have responsibility, and, of course, charisma, not so far, beyond those of mortal men. For these characters usually lay down the groundwork for policy and regulations and etiquette, and social uplifting, and they do it in such a way as if we are almost being entertained. They may grin and smirk but each one has some pleasant laughter behind it. Now, one of those leaders, Lonnie, is making a speech, welcoming everyone to the work party. We all hear him. We don’t want to be in his shoes. I might say something to that idea, such as “For who knows if there is a one-size-fits-all, from the bottom up, for walking in his shoes may get you, well, back on our heals." Lonnie is in front of the room saying “Well I am glad you made it, and I am really glad the orchestrators of this party made it, and I mean both, arriving here, and making, all this what we see before us, fit together, gesturing at the room furnishings. "

         I can see the regulars walking in like they have been looking forward to this party for weeks, and now can only look back, to a way out. I realize this is the kind of many of the workers like, but today, was a work holiday party, so any information from anybody is up for grabs, but in the nicest, most complimentary way. See these regular, who would be called steadies, but they are probably anything but steady, are used to some kidding around as it makes their jobs of helping people through trying times, easier. They come in. They look at me and I think “It seems like they are meeting me for the first time, but soon that feeling will fade and someone make me feel like I belong, and I will make my subtle reply as if to say “ So I belong here. This is where I came in and pretend to stroll out the door.: We all knew I was joshing but there was a small note of seriousness in that moment of, free enterprise. They look around. They see me. I see them. I walk slowly up to them and say “Now you are all going to nod at each other and point to me and say “There he is, the person who makes all this work, worth while and all the problems predicated into it, tolerable. One character John who is patient and calm but will light up with a joke then says “Charles, you are several of the problems but don’t mind, for you made the time pass quickly, so no one knew, and today, at this holiday party, we didn't know even more than before." It's lines like this that keep us together, complimentarily.

A few of the workers prefer to remain mostly on the business end of things during the day, and will respond with humor at only irregular intervals. Some may say “Like groundhog day and events like that, but if you asked me, I might respond “You use light humor wisely and make every day here, worth waiting for, even this party which I cornered into attending, so groundhogs are looking better every minute. The workers move around the room and look at the appetizers and condiments which line the walls and the chairs and tables which seem to buzz around the floor, beckoning one to sit and enjoy the festivities, letting all the problems of the months, fade away. One point needs to be made. I refer to the colleagues here as ‘worker’, but some, perhaps in jest with a note of earnestness might interlude and say” Worker makes me sound like I actually do grudge work around here and actually I just counsel and instruct and all the wonderful irritating duties in between.” Statements like this are often stated with humor and laughter, but today, at this work party, there is even more emphasis to look around and enjoy, but this is a day that commemorates everyone’s contribution, and point of order, mine too, so we all share in this.

It is odd that I haven’t mentioned anyone by name. For I might in retrospect say, when no one is listening “You all want to remain anonymous, not in the limelight, as some put it. I don’t blame you for each one of you has the burden of proof to prove your virtue in the vastness of incomplete tasks and foregone conclusions.” I don’t believe this but everyone might agree that today, during the work holiday, that is permissible to discuss any shortcomings during the year with a trace of wit and there is one person who will attest to any of them, while masking his own touch of achievement, being the limelight. That person is me but I might put forth the idea that being the limelight for me is slightly different for I have more minute, segregated, offbeat, perhaps duties than the average. While in the copy room I may help a person with how to access information or find motivation to complete a task. While on the computer I may help someone navigate the Internet or not become absorbed with software rules. Or I may be in the stockroom, which my our standards, could be any room with multilevel shelves and help a person with choosing classes, or motivating himself to proper study habits, a subject universal appeal. I often don’t realize this, but today, at the holiday party, each person’s touch with limelight fervor often comes to light. I ask “I should not exclude myself despite my duties are not really written down, or recorded, or subject to monitoring and subsequent explanation, or admiration, so I’ll consent any compliments made on my behalf.”

The workers, oh I mean staff, which is a kind, almost cool way of saying “Group of dedicated people who rise above and beyond the call of duty in servicing others, perhaps due to the fact that duty calls in a rather profound, gentile, almost fade-to-black-to-basics kind of way, begin to socialize with each other, now in a seated position. Their long long wait at the food line, almost 40 seconds worth, has now ended and each person has found a table. Now it's time for social discussion, 101, where each person gives his or her memories of the year and any special meetings with clients, who call themselves ‘students, or part time employment or educational seekers, or just people who need guidance. I listen attentively as one person talks about his memorable experiences and discloses, without realizing it of course, his way of being in the limelight. I add in my comments about my sporadic help I gave others from rather usual places that I worked in, wandered into, or just found myself in from sheer curiosity and a compulsion to tidy up. Another person talked about her experiences both in and outside this place and her idea of being in the limelight. I heard with a passionate yet slightly judicious heart as everyone discussed their reminiscences and actually held me in good esteem, citing some of the feats I had done, some on purpose, some by chance, and a few by perhaps odd acquaintances. I stated for the record that “You never know you are going to meet, and, talking a little louder, I don’t mean a coffee date or a casual rendez-vous so remain calm.” Like everyone I often kid around, but just a little more than the rest.

 One of the leaders, and sometimes one may shun away from the term ‘leader’ just like a worker will shun away from the term ‘worker, strolls to the front of the room, which I may refer to the ‘head of the class’, comprised of people the other classes wouldn’t take’, and then begins to speak. “I welcome everyone here and we have had a banner year where I hope everyone has warm recollections and, after she makes several statements about our accomplishments, and her subtle idea of, being in the limelight, tells us nicely to enjoy the holiday party.” Sometimes words from a, higher-up, which may be a term even more frowned on that superior or leader, may seem like a whole symphony despite only a few chords were played. These directors, a nicer word, seem to be able to summarize information in such a way that you hear and understand much more, and today, with a little formality too. They have a way with words and during my few times in dialogue with a director, I may say “You have your way with us too, and I would like if your way, includes me, someday, perhaps starting today.” I may apologize for the unintentional rhyme and the director knew my wit but I would not turn down any opportunity. I realized however, that a director, or his or her successor has their own idea of consorting with the limelight. I figured this was a subject that only was visible during special conditions or perhaps by official, but nice, request from anyone here, even me, or today, a holiday mutual effort.

This kind of holiday cheer really picks you up and you don’t even mind sitting back down again. There were six tables and anywhere from five to six attendees, which is an informal way of saying any staff member who has the time and fortitude to drag him or herself from her continuous schedule and be here for this festive occasion. I jest but some often describe their agenda as tedious and occupying, but they often throw in a joke or two, or perhaps, wait for me to make my usual funny comment and throw a couple of odd jobs my way. One person discussed his past feats in a complimentary type of way but in between his words, one could see his idea of being the limelight, and then I recognized that there were similarities and differences in this, almost like shades of different color paper or shades of font sizes that I deal with. The staff had more client service responsibilities than I did, but I offered some help and assistance to others in various places, not under a rock, although some of the rooms did have hard rocky surfaces, and a few of those in need of help may even refer to themselves as ‘clients’ but whatever the case, I had a touch having been in the limelight, though this subject was usually dealt with cautiously. We all had our jobs to do, and the way the light limes each person is on a, case by case basis, a phrase we try to avoid in friendly interactions. Here, at this holiday party, while each person celebrated his or her accomplishments and successes, while humorously yet distinctly related to one’s setbacks, or unfulfilled requests, each person in one’s friendly and mellow way, described his or her ideas of getting illuminated by the limelight. I too celebrated but if someone asked I might have stated “There is more room for me to grow since my list of requirements has not been properly introduced, then again I was never formally introduced to any of you, but that didn’t stop us from getting together.” Perhaps now this may be part of my idea of being in the limelight, but when the light fades and the lime clears, being here and for each other keeps us together, and during this work holiday party, we let each other know that, often in a subtle, gentle way. We know this is time to celebrate, to let it flow, take it out later.




December 30, 2022 17:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.