The sunset on New Year's eve

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Teens & Young Adult Creative Nonfiction

Yesterday was New Year's eve. I drove to the beach, alone... to watch the sunset. The setting sun is metaphorically sad, yet hopeful like a year-end. Another day, another year, just around the corner. I watched the kids jumping up and down with the waves, laughing gleefully; their watchful parents fencing them to keep them safe. The tides grow stronger as the night draws closer. Lifeguards went around whistling and warning people to move towards the shore. I heard the distant clinks of a spatula hitting the iron pan; a fried-peanut trolley kindling my childhood memories. I ran towards it like a kid and bought two cones, all for myself. I sat on the dry sand munching on peanuts, watching the sunset, when an old memory brought a smile to my face. This happened six years ago. Six of us were making plans for New Year's eve. We made sure no one else heard what we were scheming. We were still at our workplace, hardly working. By 5.00 PM we were already at the edge of our seats. At 5.30 PM we would leave for the secret place, and unleash our secret plan. We were so excited! There were two choices - lie about today, or not speak a word. We split the choices among us based on who was going back home, and to the hostel. Finally, it was 5.30 PM. The adventure began! Two in my two-wheeler, the rest by bus. At 6.00 PM we reached... the beach! The waves were literally rising in our stomachs. We gathered and wandered hither and thither, drinking and eating from the beach stalls. The sun was getting ready for the New Year night party under the sea... with orange blush cheeks, glowing in a florid red gorgeous sky gown. Like an ode to our freedom, we released our secret plan -- the kites... from our bags. Just as we held them up, they caught the wind and started flying. Barely held by the threads in our hands, they were fighting to go further, like bulls in a race. Our spirits soared high along with the kites in the sky. They wanted to run wild, be free of the threads pulling them back. The time was 7.00 PM. The real fun of New Year is the midnight celebration, but that is for everyone else, not girls. At night, our freedom is held back by the threads of safety. Soaking in the warmth of the humid sunset air, the six of us held hands, while the cool tides washed our feet. We were grateful for that one hour of fun. Time slipped like the sand from beneath our feet. It was time to go. We parted ways -- the six widely smiling faces! Again, two in my two-wheeler and four by bus. Some of us lingered in the city for a few more minutes, each of those minutes carefully weighed against the lurking dangers. The night was still young, but for this young group of girls, New Year's eve died sooner. With only some blurry shaky mobile photos as proof of that day, it still remains a secret -- our beach fun on a New Year's eve. That day never happened, and never happened again! Wondering why it is such a secret scheme when we didn't even do anything remotely risky? Well, years later, we girls are still wondering the same!

Just like old times, the thrilling waves in my stomach had risen to burly tides in my heart by 7.00 PM. The beach, the waves, the sun, the sunset, nothing has changed! Nor has my deeply rooted habit of anticipating danger. I clicked a few selfies, like a proud independent woman with no friends. I thought of posting it in my Facebook account with a title - 'chilling on the warm beach', but then, to whom was I announcing my whereabouts?! So, I kept my vanity and phone away and drove back home. The night might be young, but I was definitely getting old, and tired. I lounged on my couch watching New Year programs on TV, somehow kept my eyes open until midnight to call and wish everyone a Happy New Year. Finally, I plunged onto my bed and drowned deep in the year's last sleep. 

Ha! The delightful New Year morning! Once again, I renewed my resolution to wake up early... still unaccomplished. Stretching and yawning, I went outside to pick up the newspaper. That's when I saw my neighbor pacing up and down her driveway. Her face was flushed pale and her eyes were restless. I asked her, "Is everything alright, Audrey?". Audrey said in a trembling voice, "My daughter is not home yet. She went yesterday, to celebrate New Year's eve with her friends. She said she would be back before midnight. I have been calling her phone since night, but can't get hold of her". Audrey's daughter is a lovely young girl, quite smart and responsible. So, that seemed odd. I asked the most obvious question, "Did you call her friends?". She said, "That's the thing. I tried calling two of her best friends. Both are not answering". Suddenly, it struck me. "Hey! Could you show me your daughter's Instagram or Facebook account?". "Yes. Here it is". I scrolled through the recent photos. "Okay! They were at the beach around 10, says the location tag in their photos. There are a bunch of other people tagged in. Let me message them". And it worked! One of them replied that she had gone to her friend's home. We drove straight there and found the girls. Her daughter was looking blue and sick. Audrey asked her, "What happened? Are you okay?". Her daughter said, "Somebody mixed vodka in my coke. I passed out. I woke up here, just now. And I can't find my backpack. My phone was in there. Sorry to worry you mom". Audrey hugged her and said, "It's okay as long as you are safe". Later, we found that a video was uploaded on Instagram with the gang of girls and guys who were together at the beach. A blurry shaky video! One of the guys had pulled the prank, to record the stupid things they did after getting drunk. Luckily, nothing was clear in the video. Luckily?! Like a thunderbolt, it hit me -- the New Year's eve from six years ago and all the things that could have gone wrong if we hadn't pulled our threads back. The world has, and will always be dangerous, but the way the world is now, there will be no secrets! 

Yesterday's sunset was lonely and silent, but I am grateful for every sunset that I enjoy, feeling warm and safe.

June 24, 2021 13:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.