0 comments

Horror

“Hey Pete, you wanna have some fun?” Those were the words that ended my stress-free life.

“Sure Ralph, what do you have in mind?” he just gave me a wink and a smile. “Just trust me bro, it’s gonna be fun.” He said as he packed up his bag and left the classroom. “Come on Pete, come with me.” He said as he motioned his arms outside the classroom for me to follow. “But we still have 2 more classes.” “It’s fine, the teacher won’t notice, I asked chuck to sign in for us.” I reluctantly followed him, still looking back at the classroom as we headed down the hallway and out of the school. Now I feel like it was more than just my wish not to leave, it might have been my sixth sense telling me to stay.

He led me out of the school and down the road. I kept asking him what he had planned, but he would just look around and tell me not to worry, it’s gonna be a blast and always gave me a wink. We ended up entering a forest mile out of the town we lived in.

The forest gave a weird feeling, it was dense, the fallen trees seemed to have never been cleared out. No sound could be heard, not even the chirping of the birds. As we moved deeper in, even the sound of the cars passing by on the road just disappeared.

“Where are we?” he turned around. “We have reached your final resting place. MUAHAHAHAHA!” I just rolled my eyes at his comment. “Ralph, come on. I know you well enough for that to not work on me.” He laughed some more: “I know, but it’s till funny to me.”

We arrived at an open space, around a mile from the road. Ralph took a look around and took off his back. “This is a good place I guess.” He continued to open up his bag. “Look at what I got from my granddads bedside shelf.” He pulled out and old yet fairly well-kept revolver. “Wow. Is that real?” I asked as he handed it to me. “It’s as real as it gets, I even have some bullets.” He took his hand out of his pocket, he was holding 20 bullets.

We set up cans, we set 5 cans so we could practice 5 bullets each and then have a competition with 6 bullets each. After making our first shots, the competition started. As I took aim, I saw something behind the cans. Even with the sun barely getting through the trees, I could see a humanish form in the woods, but just as I lowered the gun to look again, it was gone. “Pete, what’s wrong? Having trouble holding the gun.” Ralph tried to mock me. “Naa mate, I just thought I saw something in the woods.” I raised the gun and shot all 5 cans in a row.” Surprise came on mine and Ralphs faces. “Nice shooting, you’re a natural.” I tried to look cool and blew on the top of the gun like they did in the movies. “Fastest gun in the town. Okay now try to catch up.” I gave him back the gun.

We reset the cans and Ralph took aim. He aimed for a moment and lowered the gun. “Pete, I think we should go right now.” “Why, afraid u can’t match up?” I said but then I noticed how scared he looked. I turned my gaze towards where he was looking. I saw the same thing I had seen before, but this time it was much closer, and it wasn’t hiding anymore.

It seemed to be humanoid form. It stood straight on 2 legs, but everything about him was wrong. The legs looked like they bent in 3 different places, his head was sideways with a crooked smile vertically across the face. Its whole body was pitch black and extremely thin.  I realised why Ralph was so afraid, it was moving closer.

We started moving out, but I kept watching back. The thing had started moving faster. He moved like a cartoon villain. His body was bent forward with his legs going over its head on every step and it kept moving faster and faster.

“Ralph, it’s getting closer, RUN!” We started running. As we started running, we heard a low screech come from behind us and we heard fast footsteps hit the forest ground. As I ran as fast as I could, I could hear the thing come closer. I was tempted to look behind, but my fear took over my body and I just kept running straight. “Pete is that thing behind us?” even though I was running out of breath, the stupidity of the question made me answer. “No, it’s the fucking invisible snail chasing us that gave that God scaring screech.”

We had been running for a while at top speed, but the adrenaline and will to live filled us with energy.   “I can see the exit, Pete. We’re almost out.” A joy started to rise up inside me, but it was quickly drowned out as a dark shadow jumped over me and clawed at Ralph.

With just a single slash, the creature made a huge gash in Ralphs back and knocked him out. He’s backpack fell off his back as he fell forward face first onto the forest floor.

He turned to face me, and a smile appeared on his face again. He started to slowly walk towards me. It straightened out to take a for more similar to a man.

I almost pissed my pants as it was closing in, but through the fear and adrenaline my mind went into survival mode. I saw that the bag was cut open and the revolver was showing out of the bad and it was still loaded.

I started to slowly move forward. That seemed to surprise the creature as it stopped in its tracks. I kept moving towards it as it bent lower ready to punce or retreat depending on my actions. I tried to keep my eyes locked at the shape that seemed to resemble a human face.

I got withing 4 steps of the creature and then it happened, it leaped. As I saw it leaping towards me, I jumped forward under it and hoped I could reach the gun in time. As I landed, I was still too far from the bag. I got up and ran towards the bag.

I heard the creature behind me as I finally reached the bag and I turned around. I shot the 5 bullets that were left in the revolver without aiming. I hit the creature 3 times. I hit his chest 2 times and 1 bullet hit his leg. The monster fell down to the ground with a scream of agony. As I recollected my thoughts I started to bolt towards the road. I reached the edge of the forest and realised that I had dropped the gun behind me, but I was not going to go back for it. I turned around to see the creature look at me as he feasted on the body of my friend, tears started to fill my eyes, but I turned away and ran away. I didn’t have time for this.

The sun had already gone down by the time I reached the town border. The whole time I could feel someone looking at me. I kept looking around. but I saw nothing and then as I faced forth, I heard a voice in my head. It sounded like a salesman trying to sell me something, but his voice sounded like it was out of tune. “Hello Pete, your friend was tasty.” I could hear a lip smack behind me. “I just want you to know, I will be always around you. I won’t kill you, so don’t worry about that, but everyone you get close to, everyone you try to tell about me, I will rip them all in pieces.” A shiver went down my spine. “Why? Why are you doing this to me?” I asked. I heard a light laughter from behind. “Because u shot me, so now I will hurt you as much as I possibly can. Speaking of which, I have something to do.” I was confused on what he had to do, but I felt relieved that he had left.

I got home at almost 9pm. As I opened the door, it was strange that all the lights were off. I took off my shoes and my jacket. I went into the living room and turned on the light. As the light turned on, all I could manage to do was throw up. My parents’ bodies were ripped to shreds and all their inside were smeared across the walls. And as my head came back up from throwing up, that’s when I saw it, sitting on our sofa, munching on my father’s leg. “Helloo Pete, welcome home.”

If you would wish for me to continue this story, please write so in comments.

October 08, 2021 23:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.