0 comments

Fantasy

Who are you?

Hari was on the cloud nine as he planned to visit his native place in India. The only person to whom he was well connected there was his maternal uncle Mr. Giri, who was a rich farmer, everything was under his thumb in the whole family and in the town. An iconic person in his town near by Bangalore.

Hari often connected over phone with his dear uncle to kill his curiosities. “Uncle, I am really excited and counting my day of journey. But a few issues are too uncertain. I haven’t seen anyone of you since ages. How will I identify who is who? I don’t even know how to catch up my way home when I reach there?  And uncle would reply, “send your recent photo. Inform me about your dress code which you are going to wear on the D’ day. Update the timings of your arrival. Rest I will arrange.”

Hari boarded the flight. The journey time traveled along with the nostalgia; his family had been in States for a long time, once or twice he had come to his native on some occasion which he vaguely remembers. His mother would often suggest him to marry her niece. He had not agreed but made up his mind to visit native once and decide later. And this journey is very special for him.

Hari landed at Bangalore airport. He walked anxiously to meet the unknown people. He didn’t even know who is going to pick him. He felt some one was following him. He turned back to see a gentleman walking along with him. He was in a dilemma whether to communicate with him. Before he could approach him, a smart car driver grabbed his luggage, loaded them in a beautiful Fortuner car. With great honor he offered the front seat. Then, he opened the back door and allowed the stranger to sit at the back. Now he confirmed himself that the stranger must be uncle’s friend or may be one of the relative who was waiting for him. But there wasn’t any free air to communicate. He went on planning to initiate a talk with the unknown person by then they reached home.

A crowd of relatives were waiting to welcome Hari. Everyone introduced eagerly and there was a great chat along with a great lunch. One thing started crawling him. The stranger who had come with him did not introduce. But convinced himself of having plenty of time to do that. And there was another special person who was increasing his heartbeats was uncle’s daughter. This became priority, so he ignored the stranger.

Next day, something unusual happened. The stranger freely entered his room, without permission wore his dress and all accessories and walked out coolly. “What weird people are there in uncle’s house! This fellow without my permission took off all my things. manners less people”. He shouted within himself. Then, the stranger just became one among the family eating together, playing with children, strolling in the garden, plucking fruits, asking for tender coconuts from the gardeners, yeah, he blended like milk and water in the family at the drop of a hat.

Meanwhile, uncle’s family people grumbled, “these foreign people have very little self-discipline. They make the best of both worlds Why did he bring his friend? Why this fellow should allow his friend to wear his clothes? And look at the way he grabs everything. Very manners less people. Not a spark of decency. Everything looks so weird.”

Days passed. It had reached the brim for both Hari and uncle’s family members. They were on tenterhooks. They made up their minds to express their concerns. The issue was very sensitive. Hari framed infinite diplomatic words in his mind to convey it to his uncle about the weird attitude of the stranger. He seriously wanted to know who he was. And likewise, uncle’s family members conducted secret meeting and planned to pour out their dissatisfaction about the guileful friend.

Uncle…. Hari’s voice expelled slowly. Before he could say something, aunt started her lecture. My boy, we all were waiting for your arrival. We had so many plans to take you in and around the country. A friend with you… was not so okay. But his attitude was very disappointing. We have never seen a greedy person like your friend. We used to cook something nice for you, he would grab it first, we brought nice perfumes for you that fellow grabbed them, any nice thing we planned for you, it was snatched by him before it would reach you. he puts wool over other people’s eyes. We are really done with your foxy friend.

Hari was totally off his rocker. The infinite word lengths strewn to declare his opinion, stood meaningless as the entire scene is camouflaged. Uncle!!!! What nonsense…. “I don’t even know who that bugger is? From the day one I am trying to know about him. I thought he is a family friend or a relative. I was bearing all jittery things just to be a good guest and leave. He took all my things as if it was his own. That was very irritating. When everything reached the heights, I wanted to spill the beans. But the story is altogether new.”

Uncle and nephew could smell there was something fishy. Together they went in search of the stranger to get things straight from the horse’s mouth. Surprisingly, Elvis had left the building. Everyone said, “just now he was here. Where did he go!”

Everyone checked their closets to ensure safety. Things were in place. But the stranger was gone. It became the talk of the town. People did enjoy the stranger’s company. Some asserted he was a funny guy, children said that stranger uncle was a joker, each one had something to say about him. Uncle also joined the chit chat group but, he was very vigilant assuming he would come back anytime.

 Eventually, things settled. The gossips of the stranger faded. Hari enjoyed the aroma of his native place and basked in the love of the whole family. Especially, uncle’s beautiful and wealthy daughter and decided to marry her.

The family wishes and dreams came true. Hari married uncle’s daughter and lived happily. But the stranger was an astonishment though. Often, he popped up in everybody’s mind. He was everybody’s friend, but no one knew him who he was. When the reality was about to showcase, he vanished from the scene.

Meanwhile, in another city the stranger wondered! “What sort of people were they? They neither enquired me, nor they knew me. I was just dragged into the car! Nobody asked me who was I? Of course, I was treated with great hospitality. No denying. But there might be some plans behind every kind act.  Things are beyond my imagination. Whatever it is I am through. Before they could implement, I got out of it safely.” Those few days are marked boldly on my calendar.

                                        ********

August 27, 2020 13:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.