2 comments

Holiday

She gave up, after countless layers of concealer the bags under her eyes refused to relent. She tugged at the scrap of fabric Sarah had dared to call a dress hoping to reveal a few hidden inches. Why did she let them talk her into this again? After her recent luck the last thing she wanted to do was go out to a party on New Year’s. Tomorrow would be just as yesterday was the only thing that would change was the date.

A loud knock rang through the small space. “Kam?? Are you in there? Hailey said the uber is almost here! Hurry up!”

Sighing she walked out to the wolves. 

When they arrived, all she could hear was the bass of the music. It was near deafening when she opened the door. There was no time to take in the horde of people as Hailey and Sarah dragged her through the crowd. They stopped at the bar and she immediately ordered a drink and a shot. The shot barely touched the bar top before she threw it back, that was more than enough time for Sarah to have found her mark of the night. Hailey lingered by her side swaying and bobbing to the music. 

“Hey, you know you don’t have to wait up for me. Go out on the floor I’ll wait up here.”

“Are you sure Kam? I know you’ve been having a rough patch I don’t want to just leave you here.”

“God, yes, yes I’m sure Hal, it would ruin me if you let me be your buzzkill.”

She shook her head and laughed as Hailey raced away, merging into an ocean of bodies. Turning back to the bar she picked up her drink and took a small sip. She twirled it on the counter, lost in thought.

“What a waste.” 

The sudden comment jolted her out of her thoughts. She looked up at the woman standing beside her, mischief was bright in her eyes. Slightly embarrassed she replied, “What’s that?”

“Your drink, the ice has melted. You need another one.” 

Before Kam had the chance to object, the bartender started mixing the drink and placed two before the. “Oh, well, er, thank you. My name’s Kam.”

The woman eyed her and downed her drink before she replied. She reached out softly grabbed Kam’s hand. “Mona. Pleasure.”

Mona briefly paused to order another drink before turning to face Kam. “So what is such a beautifully sad girl like yourself doing here of all places tonight? You look like you would rather be anywhere else in the world.” 

“Ha, it’s that easy to tell?” She sighed, “My friends dragged me here to get me out of the house but we are on three different wavelengths tonight and I didn’t want to be a party pooper.”

“Come with me.”

She barely got out a sound before Mona dragged her off the stool and towards a dark hallway she hadn’t noticed on the way in. They continued up a large staircase going up at least three stories. Mona turned and smirked at Kam before pushing open a door that led to the most incredible rooftop patio Kam had ever seen. 

“Wow, this view… It’s breathtaking. How did you even know about this?”

“I know someone who knows someone.”

They sat upon one of the couches and began discussing Kam’s life. It was the first time in longer than she could remember that a conversation satisfied her wholly. Mona was very gifted and delving and prying without ever hitting any subject unpleasant or too personal. A change for once, just idle pleasant conversation, Kam welcomed and succumbed to it. 

They had been chatting about an hour before Mona’s phone went off. Her face softened after a glance at the screen, she excused herself and walked out to the railing before starting her conversation. Kam watched the city scurry below her, she remembered about Sarah and Hal and shot two quick texts to them. She doubted they would become worried, or even notice her absence but old habits die hard. 

Kam looked up as she heard Mona reapproaching the couch. “Would you like to accompany me to this other event I have to show my face at? It’s smaller than this one and I have a hunch you might like the people there a little more.”

Without hesitation Kam gathered her bag and obliged. “You are ever the popular girl I take it?”

Mona’s sudden laugh seemed to dance upon Kam’s exposed skin. “Oh, my dear, you have no idea.”


Kam certainly didn’t know cars but the one that arrived to pick them up certainly cost more than her parent’s house. She took extra care stepping into it. The cream carpet and leather looked so luxurious she perched on the edge of her seat the entire way. 

The building they stopped in front of gave off the opposite vibes of the car. Kam half expected Mona to reprimand the driver for having the wrong directions but she simply stepped out of the car and waited for Kam. 

Even though the building rose at least 90 stories in the air, Mona scurried downstairs to the side and knocked on the door whispering a nonsensical word to the eyes peering out of a rusty hole. Kam had never been in a speakeasy before and this one did not disappoint. 

The value of the decor here alone would afford two, maybe three of the cars they rode herein.  She felt severely underdressed yet no one seemed to notice, everyone’s eyes were elsewhere. She watched as Mona commanded the crowd that had swarmed her, she seemed to be floating her way through. Who was Mona? So many mysterious things about this woman and so little information or answers were given. 

When Mona was finally free of her horde she collected because that’s how it felt, like Kam was being collected, Kam and led her to a VIP area on the highest tier of the club. There was virtually no time for her to prod Mona, as every five minutes a new person was approaching her, trapping her into a new conversation that would take her just as long to get out of. 

Kam was in awe, some of these people she had read about in magazines or knew their names from plaques she had seen around the city. This lasted a half hour before the lights dimmed and everyone got eerily quiet. Mona grabbed her hand and squeezed leaning in. “Enjoying yourself?” 

“Surprisingly, yes. I am utterly happy that you rescued me when you did. Thank you.”

Mona smiled, squeezed her hand and sat back in lieu of a reply. Then the show started. 

At the cue of the music change people dropped out of the ceiling onto the strips of what she had assumed were decorative curtains, and they began their routine. Slowly dancers came out into the middle of the tables below, contortionists, gymnasts, and even a belly dancer soon followed. 

Kam was speechless, she intently watched the show thrilled as she watched a small team of them start dancing up the stairs towards them. She had little time to think before two shirtless men in latex pants picked her out of the chair and began to walk towards the balcony. Terrified yet exhilarated past the point of return she was an audience to her own body as one secured her to his torso then jump to the fabric hanging from then. They spinned, twirled and passed her from one to another until the show finally came to an end as abruptly as it had started. 

She felt arms around her waist only a split second before she heard Mona’s voice. “Happy New Year’s Doll.” 

She spun to face her and their lips landed together at the same moment the clock struck twelve and cheering erupted. 

The ride back to her place was a blur of limbs and lips. She didn’t remember unlocking her door and making it to the bed. She could hardly feel her sheets beneath her as Mona filled all of her senses. They merged together and the night melted around them.


The sun was unforgiving when Kam woke up, but she felt more relaxed than she had felt in months. She went to wake Mona, only to find a note laid out on the pillow that read “To 2020 being filled with adventure and mystery, love M” 

She quickly grabbed her phone before realizing she never got her number. She then realized she had never even got her last name. Just then Sarah and Hal busted opened her door and jumped on the bed then assaulting her with a flurry of questions. 

Hal sat up and pouted. “Where did you go last night? You weren’t there for the midnight shots.”

Kam laughed and shook her head, “ I was in a dream.”

“You mean you left and went to sleep early? Oh, you are such a party pooper Kam you can’t even hang one night. Well I hope it was worth it, because let me tell you what you missed out on!”

Kam sat back and as she listened to Hal and Sarah talk over one another, reflected on her trip down the rabbit hole last night.

January 03, 2020 05:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Vardaan Pandey
15:42 Jan 09, 2020

I found this one really interesting. Great job!!

Reply

Selena Owens
00:51 Jan 15, 2020

Thank you! First tile submitting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.