The Curious Kismet of Love

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with two characters saying goodbye.... view prompt

0 comments

General

In the darkness, many a tale is spun. In the darkness, many a tale ends. Under the moonlight, all is hidden under a layer of curious white light; stars up above, Earth below— there’s a great pause that sits upon the brink of destiny. 


The moonlight flickered and cast shadows in a cinematic matter; as though any actions made during the hour were played up on the big screen. 


In this luminescence, two figures could be seen. Their shadows danced upon the garden gate, near which a bush of tiny white camellias poked their heads. 


“I guess this is it.” One of the shadows tried to break away. 


“N-No, don’t say that Felix.” The other shadow pulled the first one back. 


“Please Catrina. This must be the end.” 

 

“Why?” 


“Oh, you know why. Travelling across the ocean to the Land of Opportunity will help to build my future.” 


“B-But I was your future.” 


One shadow hid his tears and turned away. 


The other shadow grabbed the first’s hand and pulled closer. 


“We could still make it work.” 


“Catrina, I’ve loved you. Yet, this was but a fling.” 


“I was just a fling to you?” 

 

One shadow turned around and delicately crossed her arms. 

The other shadow lightly touched her back but the first shadow shook his hand away. 


“You know I didn’t mean that.” Felix quivered quietly. 



The other shadow turned towards him. 


“What did you mean?”    


“Just that this was short lived. It wasn’t meant to be very long-term. I’m sorry.” 


Both shadows had their fair share of tears, and they dripped incessantly.     


“Cat?” 


She turned her shadow around and stared sorrowfully into his eyes. 


“I’ll never forget you.” 


She nodded ruefully but she could not keep her arms from pulling him in for one last embrace. 


BEEP BEEP BEEP 


“My taxis here, I’ve got to go..” Felix whispered; his muffled voice broke the silence. 


Time stood still, and suddenly the clouds shared tears, and they dripped down. The rain dripped down into the camellias and all became watered down. 


The two shadows broke apart and one quickly turned on his heels and slid through the gate and drove away in the night. 


The taxi skewed the mud and dragged a trail behind. 


“bye.” 


One shadow remained.  


* * * *  

Felix 


He leaned his head on the edge of the taxi window -muggy as it was- and stared up into the rainy night.  

“What time is your flight?” 

 

The question held itself in the air. 


Felix blinked back his tears and continued to gaze into the sky. 

Then he became conscious that the driver had addressed him, and he pulled his plane ticket, wiped his tears away, and drew in a shaky breath. 


“eleven thirty”  


His tears smudged the ticket and it drooped in his hands. 


“Great! You’ll be at the airport in 20 minutes.” 



Suddenly, the taxi came to a screeching halt and the driver clicked his seatbelt off. 


“We’re here! Where are you headed?” 


Felix opened the door and took in the late-night air. He got out of the car with a sharp, nauseating move. 


“The Land of Opportunity.” 


“Wow! Best of luck! When do ya plan on returning?” 


Felix took his suitcase in his hands and stuffed the wet ticket into his pocket. He paid the driver and turned to face the large airport. 


“Never.”   

      * * * 

It had been nearly five years since Felix stepped onto the Land of Opportunity. 


He had welcomed himself to his new home with Catrina still in his heart, but the greater image of a sparkling future taking up the rest of his heartspace. 


Yet this allure did not meet Felix right away. He recalled his first job interview:

Next interviewee: Felix Sherwin.” 


“Come in Felix!” 


“Say where did you come from? I mean, are ya qualified?”  

“I’ve come from across the ocean. Yes, I’m plenty qualified and 

you can check my credentials if you’re so uncertain.”  


“Easy there bud, I’m just making sure.”  


He had long shook the memory as with every interview it seemed to get better. 


Yet it also seemed that those in the Land of Opportunity were blessed with the opportunity of being bred into the Land. They seemed to shake aside this blessing at a whim when they saw those from the other side of the ocean.  


Now he had quite literally climbed his way to the top; he had ownership of a multimillion dollar taxi industry and was known around the office as “Mr. Sherwin.”   


But yet, something inside of him panged. He could not see rain without seeing Catrina’s lovely face. She had a way of looking like a blossoming camellia even when all became dark. 


So he decided it had been long enough. 


He grabbed a feather pen and penned it all down. 


Catrina- 


It has been 5 years since I came to the Land of Opportunity, though I’m sure you know that.  


I want you to know I have kept your name in my heart all the while. 


I’m sorry it had to be this way. 

I can’t seem to see rain the same. Everytime the water falls, I think of that night many moons ago.  


I can’t seem to forget about you, Cat. 


I know this is too late. But please write back that you feel the same.  


Felix 


He pulled on his jacket and put on his hat. He opened the door of his luxurious apartment and ran towards the mailing services storefront down the street. 


“Mr. Sherwin! Need me to drop off that letter? I’d be happy to help!” 


An intern had caught him and took the letter in her hands. 


“Alright. Better get this one on express.” 


* * * *  

Catrina 


She sat on a tree stump and took her face into her hands and cried. Her white dress became muddy but she didn’t care. She cried with the clouds and hours went by underwater. 


Suddenly, she caught sight of the lovely camellia bush near the gate. 


They were drenched in the rain but their loveliness did not cease. Instead, they seemed to shine brighter. A halo seemed to form out of their petals. Each of the halos shone bright and Catrina was nearly blinded by the camellias’ lights. 


She plucked one off the bush and ran her fingers around the soft white petals. 


Catrina wove it into her hair. 


“From now on, I’ll be a camellia.” 


She wiped her tears away and stood up. 


      * * * 

It had been nearly six years since Felix left for the Land of Opportunity. It had been nearly six years since Catrina decided to become like a camellia; her life was entirely different. 


It had been hard. The first few months on her trek to become like a camellia were clouded by memories Felix left behind. 


The garden had brought too many tears to her eyes. After the first few months of becoming teary-eyed every time she saw the garden gate, she was able to walk up to the garden and see not the gate, but the camellias. 


That helped her in her decision to sell the garden. And it was received by a lovely old couple who had spent many, many years together. 


Of course, the sight of this pair who was so deeply in love- they had that “amour” as Felix called it (en français)- made Catrina feel a sense of spite. But this was at first. Now she smiled at the pair every day she saw them walking together. 


And then she was suddenly a camellia. And then came along Sir Francis. He had enough money that he was not chasing any dreams, owned several homes, and arrived to pick Catrina up in a horse-drawn carriage. 


She married him last year, and all was suddenly well. 


Catrina requested Francis to plant several camellia bushes around their main bungalow.  


“To remind you of me.” 


Yet, she felt a pang inside. Now that she had blossomed as a camellia, it was her duty to contact Felix and tell him the news of her and Felix. 


Felix, 


It has been 6 years since you left. 

I will tell you it has not been easy; many tears were shed. 


But I decided to be a camellia. And I’ve married. His name is Sir Francis. He is very rich. I thought I had a duty to let you know. 


Catrina.   


She and Francis headed to the mail center and sent it off. 


* * * *  

“Catrina! Look what arrived!” 


It had been a month since Catrina sent out her letter to Felix. 


“A letter?” She saw it was from Felix and curiously teared it open. 


She read it and threw it to the ground. 


“Burn this.”


“Alright dear.” 


      * * * 

“Mr.Sherwin! Look what it is!” 


It had been a year and a month since Felix sent out his letter. 


“A letter?” He saw it was from Catrina and opened the envelope up passionately, tears brimming at his eyes. 


He quickly read it and began to cry. 


Then he saw, wrapped in her letter, was a camellia. 


Only its petals were scattered all over. 

June 06, 2020 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.