1 comment

Christmas Contemporary Fiction

“You nine ladies dancing are rocking it tonight!” Amanda Sings encouraged. “Patty, can we have a little chat?”

       “Sure thing. What’s up?”

       “Well, I know you were looking forward to some time off this Christmas, but I really need you on stage with me. I’ll pay you double the rate.”

      “I don’t know. I need time to do my shopping and decorating.”

       “I’ll give you the next three days off, rotate someone else in your spot to give you some time, but I need you for the holidays. We’ll have Christmas parties on the road.”

       “Would I have Christmas day off?”

       “Of course.”

       “All right, then.”

       “Oh, wonderful! Time off starts now, so you better get shopping.” 

“Thanks. See you soon.”

       Patty had been dancing nonstop for six months. If Amanda Sings wasn’t such a great aunt, perhaps Patty wouldn’t feel so obligated. Aunt Amanda had taught her all she knew about modern dance, and Patty had accompanied her on the last five tours. She lived to dance, and she loved the opportunity. Her aunt kept telling her how good dancing for a megastar was going to look on her resume. But as much as she adored her Aunt Amanda, Patty needed time off. She almost cried in the dressing room. At least this last tour ended in their home town.

      Patty ordered an Uber, changed into warmer clothes, put on her gloves, hat, coat, grabbed her luggage, and hefted her dance bag. She trudged out the stage door, just in time for the ride home. Once home, Patty started laundry, changed into her jammies, made a hot cup of mint tea, and plopped down on the couch. Within minutes she fell asleep. Patty woke up at midnight and went to the fridge. Darn! She needed food. She got out a yogurt, devoured it, and sluffed off to bed.

       The next three days were a blur. Patty spent the next two days shopping and wrapping gifts. She had dinner with her parents on the second night. The family always gathered at mom and dad’s for Christmas, so she took presents with her to add to the ever-growing treasure trove under the tree. Sitting down to a real home-cooked dinner gave her a few moments to chat with her parents. Yet, she knew she still needed to buy a tree, decorate it, and the rest of the house when she got home. Her mind raced at all she still needed to accomplish. As she explained her plight to her parents, her dad sat back and offered his help.

       “Why don’t I get you a tree this evening? You can take your mom to your place to help you get started on decorating.”

       “I don’t want to put you out, Dad.”

       “I wouldn’t have offered if I didn’t want to help. Mom and I would be glad to give you a hand tonight, and maybe tomorrow you can enjoy your last day off?”

       “That would be great, Dad. Thank you. I’ll help clean up here so we can get started.”

       Patty’s dad cleared the table while she and her mom started in the kitchen.

       “It’s nice to be home, even if it is for just a few days,” Patty said to her mom.

       “I’ll bet. We’ve missed you around here. How was the tour?”

       “Great! I am just bushed, though. I really need a vacation.”

       “I know you love your auntie, but don’t overdo it, Patricia. You need a break just like everyone else.”

       “I know, Mom. I hate to tell her no, though. She’s done so much for me.”

       Patty’s mom smiled. “I understand, sweetie. My sister is a go-getter and never stops. I wish I had her energy.”

       “I wouldn’t be surprised if the six of us depleted all your energy,” Patty countered with a laugh.

      “Some days I wonder,” her mom said, laughing with her, “but I wouldn’t change a thing.”

      “You did good by us, Mom. You both did.”

      “Aww, you keep that up, and I’ll get all teary-eyed,” her mom replied.

      With the chores finished, the three of them headed out—Patty’s dad headed for the Christmas tree lot and her mom with Patty to her place. All the boxes were down and opened when her dad showed up with a beautiful Douglas fir.

      “The tree base is ready for you, dad. Here, let me help you with that.”

 Awkward and cumbersome, the tree made it into the house with most of its needles, and all three worked together to get it into the stand. Patty’s dad put the lights on the tree while Patty and her mom worked to take down everyday décor and replace them with a more festive look. It took about two hours, but they got it done.

“Your place looks lovely, Patty.”

“Thanks, Mom. It does, doesn’t it? Thank you both for all your help. It would have taken me all day tomorrow to get it done.”

“You’re welcome, love. Who is house-sitting for you?” her dad asked.

“I asked Karen to stay here for the holidays. She was thrilled to leave her college dorm room for some peace and quiet.”

“Well, I’m glad. Her roommates have been driving her crazy. All they talk about are boys, and they never give her quiet time to study,” her dad complained.

“I know. At least Karen doesn’t have a boyfriend—yet.” Her dad looked so relieved she almost laughed. “But she does need a quiet place to study, so this will be great. She has her next semester books and wants a quiet place to peruse them.”

“Glad to hear that. Couldn’t be a better place for some solitude. And, hey, we are only ten minutes away, her dad said.”

“A win-win, I would say,” her mom piped in.

       “Yeah. I really appreciate it, too,” Patty said. “I’m going to pay for her to stay here. She said she would do it free, but the girl’s got to have fun money for college. I don’t want her to have to worry about finances right now.”

“I know she has appreciated it in the past. I’m sure she will this time, too,” her mom said.

“We need to percolate, as your great-grandma used to say.”

“I love it. Thanks, mom and dad. Love you. I’ll see you Christmas Day.”

Patty finished putting up a few things and grabbed a cup of mint tea. She arranged to pick up Karen at the airport in the morning, and she looked forward to spending the rest of the day together. She eyed the house critically. Everything looked great. Yes.

The next day ended up a disaster. Patty had already arrived at the airport before she realized Karen had called and left a message. Another storm so, plows were needed and the airplane had to be de-iced. There would be delays getting the flight cleared for take-off. Great. She decided to go to Denny’s down the street and have breakfast while waiting another two hours.

Patty ordered and sat at the restaurant for an hour, eating and drinking tea. Then, she waited another hour in the noisy restaurant, reading emails, scrolling Facebook, and playing a game on her phone. Finally, Karen texted that she just landed and was on her way to baggage claim. Patty paid her check and got to the airport just as her sister walked out.

“Been waiting long?” Karen said, hugging her sister.

“Two hours. Ugh!”

“Oh, Patty, I am so sorry you had to wait all this time.”

“Don’t worry. It’s my fault for not checking my messages before leaving home. How are you? I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you, too. I’m doing well. Got a good report card, and I’m ready to start again in January. My bag is super heavy though, let me get this one. It has all my books in it.”

“Good grief! This one is heavy, too!”

“Sorry, I have all my winter clothes in it, plus a few gifts.”

“Well, let’s get home.”

“Sounds good, sis. Thanks again for picking me up.”

“Sure thing.”

The drive home from the airport caused both girls to be on edge. A wreck backed them up for an hour, and the police had a DUI checkpoint about half an hour after that.

“Really?” Patty exclaimed. “What a terrible commute! I don’t know about you, but I’m gonna need a nap.”

“Me, too,” Karen said. “Could this day get any longer?”

“I was looking forward to a peaceful day with you at the house.”

“Well, let’s look on the bright side. At least we are still spending the day together.”

“Right,” Patty said with a smile and quick glance at Karen.

Once they were home, they crashed out for a couple of hours. They ordered pizza, and before they knew it, it was time for Patty to pack. In record time, she got her bags ready, and the two sat on the couch with popcorn to watch a Hallmark Christmas movie.

The next morning, they rushed off to get Patty to the tour bus. Usually, Patty loved to chat with her seat partner. But today she put in her earbuds and listened to the sound of ocean waves and a Native American flute. She needed to calm down. Before she knew it, her dance partner woke her up. They were at the first venue.

A week into the trip, after a great show, Patty made her way to the dressing room while she chatted with another one of the dancers. A stagehand raced around the corner and ran right into her. They both went sprawling into a rack of clothes. The stagehand got up quickly, apologizing, but Patty lay unconscious, tangled in the mess.

The next morning, Patty woke up in the local hospital. Flowers decorated her room, and a card sat on her food tray. What? Where am I? Frantically, she rang for the nurse.

The nurse stuck her head in the door. “Oh, Glad you’re awake. That’s good. I’ll let the doctor know. He’s still making rounds.”

A few minutes later, the doctor came in. “Glad to see you’re awake, Miss Branson. Let me have a look at you.”

“Why am I here? What happened?’

“You took a nasty fall. You’ve been out for fifteen hours. You have quite a bump on your head. I’ve spoken to your Aunt Amanda. She left you a note this morning before her tour bus left.”

“She left me?” Patty asked, wide-eyed.

“Don’t worry. Read the note. I’ll be back to look in on you in a few hours,” the doctor said as he left.

“Nurse? When can I eat? I’m starving.”

“Only Jell-O until he comes back. I’ll get it now.”

“Thanks.”

Disoriented and dizzy, Patty sat back and concentrated on trying to make the room stand still. When it finally stopping spinning, she read the card from her aunt.

Dear Patty,

      I’m so sorry I had to leave. I’m worried sick about you. One of the stagehands ran into you last night, literally. You both went down, and you were out cold. You have had a CT scan, and nothing is broken. Thank God. We were all expecting you to be up and about this morning, but the doctor told us, people with concussions should not be dancing as you will more than likely be dizzy for several days. I would’ve stayed but for this blasted tour. Please, forgive me. Call me when you wake up. 

I phoned your parents, and they want you to call as soon as you are able. I have arranged for a nurse to stay with you at the hotel until you can fly home. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. I am so terribly sorry, Patty-girl.

Love you,

Auntie Amanda

       Patty located her cellphone.

       “Hi, Auntie Amanda.”

       “Oh, am I glad to hear your voice, baby girl. Are you okay?”

       “I’m dizzy but okay.”

       “Well, when they let you out of there, go directly to the hotel. They’re holding your room for you. All your things are there. I brought you a change of clothes this morning in your smaller bag. Oh, and I remembered to bring your charger. It’s in the outside zipper pocket.”

       “Thanks, Auntie. I’m sorry I can’t be with you.”

       “It’s okay, sweetie. I called one of the other girls to fill in for you. But don’t worry, I got you covered. The stagehand couldn’t stop apologizing. But, boy, did I ever let him have it.”

       “Poor guy was just doing his job, Auntie.”

       “No excuse. He should know not to race around corners like that.”

       “He didn’t get fired, did he?”

       “No. Reprimanded, but not fired. That company is paying for your hospital stay, though, and all the tests. They're lucky I’m not suing,” Amanda said.

       “Well, as long as you’re not having to foot the bill.”

       “I gotta go, hon. I’m sorry. You gonna be okay?”

       “Sure. Call me tomorrow?”

       “You know, I will. Text me when you get to the hotel.”

       “I will. Thanks, Auntie.”

       “Love you, sweet girl.”

       “Love you.”

       A couple hours later, the doctor came in. “I understand you’re hungry. That’s good. I’ve ordered a tray for you. I’d like you to stay in one more night, then you may go to the hotel tomorrow with a nurse.”

       “Can’t I go this evening?”

       “I want to know you can keep food down, and you can walk the hall without too much trouble. I’ll call your nurse this evening. No promises. Otherwise, tomorrow you should be well enough.”

       “Okay. Thank you, doctor.”

       Patty called her parents to assure them she would be fine and to please relay the message to the rest of the family. She ate her Jell-O, found her charger, and tried to get up to use the restroom. She ended up having to call the nurse. Afterward, the nurse walked with her down the hall and back. When she returned to her room, it was spinning. She barely made it to the bed. Oh, crud!

       Dinner came and, for hospital food, it wasn’t terrible. She kept it down and took another tour down the hall and back. She knew the doctor would be right keeping her another night, so she didn’t even ask. The next morning, when he came around, he gave her the okay to be released, knowing she would have a nurse with her. A handsome young man in scrubs came in and told her not to worry about calling an Uber.

       “Your Aunt got me the room next to yours. I’m your nurse.”

       “You are?”

       “Yep. Need help dressing or anything before we leave?”

       “Uh, nope. I got it. When can we go?”

       “As soon as you sign on the dotted line.”

       “Okay. I’ll be ready in a few minutes.”

       Twenty minutes later, they were in his car and heading to the hotel. He paid for valet parking and helped her to her room.

       “You sit here and don’t get up until I get back, please. I need to check-in.”

       “No chance of that. I’m too dizzy to get up.”

       “Okay. Do you need a drink before I go down?”

       “I can wait. But I don’t know your name. Your tag is backward.”

       “Good grief! I’m sorry. Kohl, with a K and an h.”

       “Like the color?” He nodded. “I like it.”

       “Well, that makes two of us, Miss Branson.”

       “Patty.”

       “Okay, Patty. I’ll be back in a bit.”

       “Okie dokie. See ya later, alligator.”

       Kohl answered, “After while crocodile.”

       They both laughed.

       Kohl left and Patty texted Amanda.

Kohl returned with a bag. “Cups from the kitchen and tea—I understand you like mint. We’ll order some. They also gave us a couple of bottles of water and cookies.”

       “Great. I’m hungry,” Patty said, reaching for a cookie.

       “I can order food from the hotel, or they have a list of restaurants that offer delivery.

       “I feel like having a hamburger and French fries. As a dancer, I usually avoid them, but I got a hankering, and I don’t think I’ll be dancing for a while.”

       “I would suppose not, with a head injury,” he said with a wry grin.

       “Let’s order room service then. They serve a great burger here.”

       “Sounds good. I’m going all out and having a Coke.”

       He picked up the phone. “Room service? Two of your hamburger specials with Coke.”

       “Pepsi?” he asked Patty.

       “Nope, Coke or no soda. I’ll have milk.”

       “I’m with you,” he whispered to Patty, and to the person on the phone, “Make that two milks.”

       “Okay, Patty. What can I do for you while we wait?”

       “Not a thing, unless you do massages. My feet hurt. I’ve been dancing almost every day for over seven months.”

       “No problem. It’s what I am here for.” He knelt before her and took off her shoes. Then he sat on the ottoman and rubbed her feet.”

       “I could get used to this. How long do I get you, Kohl?” she asked, leaning back and closing her eyes.

       “A week at least.”

       She jerked forward, wide-eyed. “A week? I didn’t know I was that bad.” She held her head. “I shouldn’t have done that.”

       “Easy, Patty. You’re not that bad, but your aunt is getting you all the help that you might need. I don’t blame her.”

       She leaned back, closing her eyes again as he worked his magic. He continued this task until the knock at the door.

       Grabbing a napkin, he opened the door with it, motioning the waiter in. He washed his hands and signed the bill.

       They ate in silence. Silence. She sighed.

       “I think I’ll take advantage of the situation.” He looked at her, his eyebrows lifted. “I needed a vacation and cabana boy, but I’ll settle for a nurse. I wanted peace and quiet, Kohl. Guess I got what I asked for this Christmas after all.”

December 21, 2020 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ken Coomes
22:30 Dec 30, 2020

Kaci, I found this story well-written and enjoyable. The characters, the setting, all felt real. Keep up the great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.