2 comments

Fiction Inspirational

“Oh like you could do any better?” I say to Damon as he criticizes my bow and arrow skills. “I can.” He says as he shoots and hits directly at the target. Showoff. He smirks as if he knows what I’m thinking. “Whatever I’m still better at everything else.” Damon looks at me as if I’ve gone mad. “As if. I’ve never even seen you do anything other than shoot badly at a target with a bow and an arrow.” Now it’s my time to smirk because little does he know that while he’s been here all month, trying to perfect his shooting skills, I have been in the fighting rink, and the weapons room, working my ass off to become the best fighter this place has ever seen. “Yeah, I suppose your right. I don’t know how to fight yet but I bet I can still kick your ass regardless.” Damon, the oh-so gullible annoyance that he is, takes my bait like a dog with a bone. “Oh you’re on Sadie.”

******

It’s three days before my fight against Damon and I feel ready to kick some ass. But I also feel nervous, nervous because I know if I mess up, if I let Damon get the better of me and win, everyone will think lower of me. The boys will continue to act as if I am inferior to them, they will treat me as porcelain that will break at the slightest touch. They will also make fun of me of course, the girl who was so confident in herself, the girl who wrongly thought she could beat a man, but she failed, and the humiliation would be so glorious to them. I will not let that happen. I will triumph against Damon, and I will do it for every girl out there who’s like me, who craves the gore and the blood that comes with fighting. Here I come Damon, you better watch your back.

******

Turns out, me and Damon’s fight has gotten around and now almost everyone has shown up to watch our brawl. Fine with me, even more people to watch Damon get shown up, by a girl nonetheless. Now of course, there are other girls here, they just don’t fight like I do. They take up the positions of nurses and what not. I am the first girl that has wanted to fight, and while at first everyone was very skeptical and outraged at the fact that a girl wanted to fight, they eventually allowed me to do it, though part of the reason may be because I wouldn’t stop bothering them until they had enough of my bickering. “Hey Sadie, how are you doing girl?” Ugh. That is Maverick, the guy who thinks any and all girls have a crush on him. I certainly don’t and it drives him crazy that I’m the only one, which is why he tries extra hard with me. It is infuriating but I will never succumb to ever liking Maverick Dale. Yuck. “Don’t call me ‘girl’ Maverick” “Oh why of course, I am so very sorry Sadie I did not mean to call you that, might I buy you some chocolates and roses to make up for my mistake?” I roll my eyes and pray for this stupid fight to hurry it’s slow-ass up so I can get away from Mr. Every Girl Likes Me. “No thanks, that is unnecessary. Now if you will excuse me I really have to get going-“ “Sadie!” Oh thank the heavens, never have I been so glad to hear Damon call my name. “Oh sorry looks like I gotta go” “Bye Sadie, I’ll be seeing you around” Not if I can help it. “Hey Damon, is it starting?” “Yep, good luck, you’ll need it” Mhm yeah sure i’ll need it. Just wait till you see what I’m capable of, you won’t be saying I need any luck after that. “Alrighty boys, here is the moment we’ve all been waiting for, Sadie and Damon are going to fight!” Loud roars and cheers start erupting through the crowd, but I pay them no mind, for no matter who they cheer for I will show them all that I am a better fighter. “Ready, three, two, one…FIGHT!” Once the referee leaves the rink, Damon pounces and I just barely miss getting punched in the jaw. See the thing with Damon is he’s clumsy, he goes straight for the attack, not really focusing on the defending part. His movements are sloppy and uncoordinated, which gives me an advantage that I will most generously use. I wait until he moves to hit me again, then I duck down and kick his legs out from underneath him. Damon, taken by surprise is off guard, allowing me to propel forward and hit him in his abdomen. While he starts focusing on clutching his stomach, I quickly put his head in a head lock, blocking him from being able to make a good move. In the background I expect to hear deafening roars and shouts but all I get is stunned silence. Wow, so really none of them thought me to be capable of this? Says a lot about them. The referee hops to the ground and raises his hand, hitting the floor “One! Two! Three! He’s down!” The referee grabs me and raises my right hand, pronouncing me the winner. I get some cheers but most are still too dumbfounded for words. Oh how delicious my victory tastes and how sweet my glory is. I said I would show them and I did, I proved myself. That’s all I ever wanted, was to prove myself to the guys, to show them that I can be better than them, that I am better than them. Not necessarily at shooting, but at other things, because even though it has been deemed that girls are not as good as men at things, I know that I am, I know what a lie that statement is and I am ready to show the world. Now we just have to see how well it takes it.

April 09, 2022 03:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hen Neralany
13:30 Apr 10, 2022

Sweeeeeeeet victory! Great story! I also love your name!

Reply

Adorable Dogs
18:10 Jun 03, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.