8 comments

Science Fiction Suspense Thriller

This story contains sensitive content

*Features suggestion of child abduction.*

The smart-looking centrepiece of the Pink Bougainvillaea Resort rose high into the cloud-filled night beyond a tidy block of white stucco villas. It was a five-storey, hundred room building with, as its name implied, an embracing multitude of pink bougainvillaea vines clinging to its brilliant, white-washed walls.  

From where I crouched, hidden in the shadows at the edge of a glade of palm trees amongst short, spiky Aloe Vera shrubs, I could see over the terracotta-tiled rooftops of the villas to the upper-most stories of the complex, where lights glowed in windows and holidaymakers sat on balconies, drinking with family or friends.  

Good times, they were having. Fun times. With family or friends. Safe in their rooms with not a care in the world and very little chance of fate betraying them. I couldn’t help but feel a little jealous.

But I had to stop.

Those were innocent people who had nothing to do with me and I wouldn’t wish the darkness I’d encountered here on any of them.

I shook my head, tearing my eyes from the balconies to focus my attention on the outermost villa in the block of eight that waited across from me. A quick glance at my ‘watch’. It was 9:49 p.m. Not long until the door was due to open and the only-so-slightly inebriated holidaying couple that were responsible for me being here would come out. 

Only-so-slightly inebriated. Only a couple of glasses of sangria. Not enough to cloud judgement. Not enough to make stupid decisions. Perfectly in control of their destiny.

You could say I’d been planning for this for a week, making sure I knew the details inside and out, had the timings down to a T and was fully prepared for the heart-rending task that lay ahead. In reality, I’d had much longer than that to make sure I was ready. I knew this resort, like the back of my hand, had spent more time here than I’d ever imagined I would when I picked it as a holiday destination. I knew every route in, out and through it, knew the surrounding woods and beaches, the neighbouring towns, the locals, the mountains, the bay. 

I knew everything I could ever want to know about this cursed place.

But despite that, and despite being calm when I’d stepped onto the beach half an hour before, I was now less than two minutes from acquiring what I’d come for and my fifty-year-old body trembled like a house of ill-stacked cards. 

I was under no illusion. This was not an easy task and I was taking an incredible risk, with the chance things could go very badly wrong. All it would take was a split second’s hesitation at any point during the next ten minutes and my whole world would, by all accepted logic, cease to exist. Of course, the risk was worth it, and I couldn’t turn back now, but everything had to be perfect. 

Because I wasn’t the only one lurking in the shadows here tonight. There was another with a similar agenda, the winking man, most likely preparing to strike now, just like me. 

I had to be quicker.

I looked at the watch strapped to my wrist and saw the time change to 9:50. I had to get ready to move, making sure to be invisible to all but clear to him. He needed to see me approaching the villa, he needed to be surprised and stopped in his tracks, so I shifted uncomfortably amongst the pulpy, large-leafed plants and tugged a dark grey ski mask from my pocket, pulling it on over my head. It wasn’t the first time I’d tried it on, but this time was different, this time was real, and I started to feel sick to my stomach. 

A click. A muffled laugh. The shuffling of feet.  

I’d just finished adjusting the opening of the mask around my eyes when the door to the villa slowly opened, allowing a young, familiar-looking couple to step out. I stopped dead, caught my breath, tried to merge further with the shadows. 

They were dressed up for the night, she in a short, black dress, he in khaki shorts and a loose-fitting Hawaiian shirt. They giggled annoyingly as they closed the door, turned the key, tugged the handle to make sure it was locked, so safety conscious. Satisfied it was, they linked arms and headed off along the lamp-lined path before the villas, passing curtained windows, speaking in hushed tones as they left them behind. 

Left everything behind like a pair of fools. 

I shook my head, banishing the thought. No time for that, no time to get wrapped up in judging stupid strangers. I needed to keep my emotions in check. Every one of them. Just for ten more minutes. After sixteen years, that wasn’t an unreasonable ask.

I took a deep breath when they vanished, turning at the end of the block. I knew where they were going, to the poolside bar, to meet the friends they’d made here, people they’d gotten to know. They were going to share a few drinks, have a few laughs, it was the last night of the holidays, so why not? They had no reason to think it was a mistake. They had no way of knowing someone was lurking in the dark, waiting to change their lives, forever.   

Someone like me.

Everything happened then quickly. I had no idea which direction the winking man might come from or at what precise second he would appear, for all I knew he could have been in those very same bushes there with me, a couple of steps behind or to the side, maybe having gotten there first, fallen still when he saw me arrive. The thought crossed my mind that I may have already done enough, just by making it this far, to make him give up on his quest. He might have spotted me sneaking in the dark and already left. 

But that didn’t mean I could quit. I was committed, there was no way out. I’d spent many sleepless nights weighing up the options, and doing nothing other than scaring him away was certainly one. But the consequences of that, the changes it might cause, were too mind-bogglingly complex to comprehend. 

Doing nothing could only make things worse at this juncture, and besides…I’d waited this long. I’d been through so much to get to this moment, I wasn’t going to let myself fizzle away, as selfish as I knew that to be. This was my life, my world, my time. I’d lived through it, every gut-wrenching, grief-stricken second, and I deserved my reward.

It wasn’t going to all be for nothing. 

Adrenalin kicked in as I pushed myself up and left the bushes, like a shadow coming alive to stalk the night. It took me just seconds to cross the lawn, step over a low, yucca hedgerow, dash across the cobblestones to the villa, press myself back against the wall and crouch low beneath a window. I paused, casting furtive glances left and right while gasping for breath inside the mask.

No sign of him. 

The coast was clear. 

I licked my lips, swallowed hard, steeled myself for what was next, the most difficult thing I had ever done or ever would, then rose, turning to place my gloved hands on the glass. The latch wasn’t engaged. I knew it wouldn’t be. The window went up easily, without a sound. I knew it would. The curtain inside billowed, revealing the dimly lit bedroom beyond.

I hoisted myself up on the window ledge and grunted, wriggling less than gracefully through the narrow gap and curtains. It wasn’t easy, but I’d been practising and I managed to swing my legs through without falling to the floor. Once inside, I eased the window shut and stepped into the centre of the room.  

Now came the hardest part.  

I found what I’d come for at once. The treasure I’d desired for so long. My heart was aching, threatening to explode. I wanted to sink to my knees, just drop to the uncarpeted, marble floor there and stare, but there wasn’t time. A glance at the watch told me it was 9:51. The winking man might arrive at any moment. If he hadn’t seen me sneaking around outside, if he hadn’t seen me enter the villa, he could still appear and ruin everything. 

I needed to avoid confrontation at all costs but more than that, I needed to be crossing the road to the beach in eight minutes so…

I didn’t turn on any lights. I averted my gaze as much as possible. I didn’t think, I acted, like a robot, emotions as numb as they always were, every day, mind blank. It went against every natural instinct. What I wanted to do was different, but I had to stick to the plan. I had to be completely dead inside, and luckily for me, that was easy. There would be time for living later, if everything worked out. It just required one last monumental effort.

It took me a minute to do what I had to do and then I was out of the room, crossing ceramic tiles to the high-arched doorway, bounty in my arms wrapped in a blanket. I didn’t hesitate. I fumbled with the lock, got it open. My knees were about to buckle but I pushed against the door and stepped outside. Nobody was there. The only one who might have been was the winking man and I was prepared to do whatever it took to get past him.

I made my way back to the lawn, held my breath as I strode towards the woods, every single second like forever. I was ready to run should anyone shout a warning. No one did. 

Back in the shadows I paused to catch my breath, glancing back at the villa to make sure the door hung open. I couldn’t see my watch but guessed the time was now 9:53. Five minutes to reach the road. I was tempted to wait a bit longer, to see if the winking man would appear. He had to be close, if he was still here, watching from nearby, wondering who I was, frozen by indecision due to this unexpected development.

It didn’t matter. As much as I wanted to see him, to hurt him, I couldn’t risk any interaction, couldn’t risk losing the steely resolve I was somehow managing to maintain. I couldn’t risk changing a thing, so I pushed him from my mind and entered the woods. 

Every step I took I wanted to break down. Give in to the unbearable weight of emotion that was rending my heart. I’d known all along this wasn’t going to be easy but no amount of mindfulness or meditation could have prepared me for holding this bundle in my arms. Don’t think about it. Get to the road, focus on hitting your mark, the traffic light, 9:58. Almost there. Just a few more minutes and you can let it all out, once and for all.

In the darkness, through the tears that gathered unbidden in my eyes, it was difficult to navigate the tightly-packed fir trees and their spiky, pointing branches. More than once I lost my footing and slammed against a bole, more than once the exposed flesh around my eyes was scraped and poked by the tip of a branch. I had to ignore the discomfort, blink away the tears, keep surging forward. The sounds of the waves crashing on the nearby coast had reached my ears and I hoped they would mask the sounds of my movement to anyone who happened to be nearby. Though the only one that could have been was him.

What if he decided to tackle me, to take what he’d come for by force rather than stealth? What if he hit me from behind, took the bundle and disappeared into the night like he had done before? All of this would be for nothing. The years of pain, Janey’s suffering and death, the family falling to pieces, selling everything I owned and risking my freedom to buy this watch and thirty minutes of chronofuel on the black market. I could never change any of what happened but I could at least save one soul, maybe two, if there was hope for me beyond this. I  just had to stay calm until…

The road appeared before me as the forest opened. Relieved, I crouched low in the long grass at the verge, watching as the clouds above parted, allowing a curious crescent moon to at last peep out. Gently, so as not to disturb it, I drew my cargo closer to my chest, craning my neck so I could see the watch. 9:57. I panted, tilted my head to the side, rubbed my face against my shoulder. One of the branches had cut my cheek, I was bleeding. Damnit. 

The time on the watch changed to 9:58 and I rose and stepped onto the road, started to cross. This was the most important part. I turned my head and looked left, towards the traffic light glowing red a hundred yards away. I stared at it as I crossed, counting the seconds in my head, one, two, three, four, until I reached the opposite side and stepped onto the beach.

I couldn’t see the camera mounted to the top of the light but I knew it was there. That camera had captured a man crossing this road all those years ago, holding something precious in his arms. The one and only lead that ever existed, the one and only piece of evidence to show that a real life human had been responsible. That footage would be paused and zoomed in on, enhanced as best as it could but still resulting only in a grainy shot of a furtive man, balaclava concealing his features. That image would go on to appear on every newspaper and television show and book cover and reward poster for years after. It was burned into my mind, I saw it every time I closed my eyes. And there I was now, recreating it. Same time, same place, same kind of clothing down to the head covering. The only thing I didn’t do, refused to do, was replicate the most unsettling part. 

The wink. 

The camera had captured the culprit winking as he crossed the road, as if he knew he was being recorded, knew the footage would be found and viewed, knew it would be of no use to anyone and so he could mock us.

I had to replicate everything that happened as near as possible so as to eliminate the chance of anything changing. Everything had to play out exactly as it had done. Everything. 

But I wasn’t going to wink. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. ‘The Winking Man’ was how he had come to be known. And I was going to erase him.

I stepped on soft, dry sand, looking away from the road as I got out of sight of the camera. There was nothing else to do now. I just had to walk, retracing my footsteps on the beach from earlier, walking back towards where I’d first appeared.

There had been no witnesses that night. Nobody had seen anyone on the beach so I didn’t have to worry about that, and the winking man had surely given up. I focused my attention on the sand as I walked, no longer checking the watch, knowing it had passed 9:59, walked, walked, walked until it started to vibrate at 10.

I took a deep breath. The bundle shifted softly in my arms. My vision started to blur, my body tingled and a wave of nausea swept through me as my surroundings faded.

In the void I continued to walk until the darkness cleared and the landscape took shape again. It only took a second. For me. The watch stopped vibrating, the prickling sensation on my skin subsided and my vision cleared. I was still on the beach but things were different. The moon above was full, glowing bright in a cloudless sky. Towering hotel blocks that hadn’t been there before stretched into the night nearby. The thud-thud-thud of music replaced the sounds of the sea. 

And the winking man waited up ahead.

As if punched in the gut, I dropped to my knees, making a horrible, guttural sound. The winking man mimicked my movement. He was exactly as he looked in the picture, a freeze-framed, magnified x100 image come to life and transported into my world. Or so it seemed. Until the mind-fog brought on by traversal cleared and I realised I was looking at the polished chrome side of the car I’d driven on to the beach thirty minutes before.

No.

I lowered my bundle to the sand, peeled the sweaty ski mask off my head, cast it aside and stared in horror at my reflection, my swollen left eye surrounded by blood from where the fir branch had nicked me, making it look like I was… 

“Daddy?” 

The voice from the blanket was all it took for the dam to burst and the emotions to explode and every single bit of long repressed trauma to urgently pour out of my soul. I started to cry like I’d never cried before while holding her as tight as I dared, burying my face in her shoulder, remembering her smell, the touch of her hair, the sound of her voice. 

“Daddy, what’s wrong?” she said, wrapping small arms around my neck. She couldn’t see how different I looked. “Why are we on the beach? Where’s Mummy?”

I held her close and cried relentlessly, watching my heaving reflection in the polished chrome door and the child-abducting bastard winking back at me. 

May 05, 2023 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Annie Persson
15:56 Oct 24, 2023

Wow. Just wow. I LOVED THE ENDING! That was so cool, the way you set it up. I think it's sorta sad at the same time. He hated the winking man for (maybe his whole life) a long time, and then it turned out to be him! I just wanted to cry with him! Wonderful.

Reply

16:51 Oct 24, 2023

You're amazing for reading all these stories! Thanks so much! Yes I love this one too but it never found an audience . It's definitely one of my favourites that I've written though

Reply

Annie Persson
17:31 Oct 24, 2023

Thanks. If people haven't read this story and they like time travel, then they don't deserve to. I think it's a brilliant plot and it really shows you the pointlessness of trying to change the past. I also think he should've thought things through a bit more, otherwise, he might've realised that if he had changed the past that night, then why wasn't it changed now? Unless time-travel doesn't work like that in this story....????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
I Jones
00:41 May 11, 2023

This is great, really enjoyed it. Always love a "It was you the whole time" ending. Such a bitter self fulfilling prophecy. The set up could have maybe been delivered a little quicker, to keep concentration in the first bit, but thats difficult to do without giving the game away entirely. Overall really good!

Reply

06:43 May 11, 2023

Thank you so much for this! Really appreciate any feedback I can get as just starting out here and struggling to generate engagement. Thank you for the comment about the start, I will look at that but yes it's tricky because trying to not give out any clues too soon! I'll check out your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:21 May 06, 2023

😉this is good, suspenseful drama. Just not sure if he did change the outcome or not because he did look like he winked.

Reply

07:25 May 06, 2023

Thank you for reading Mary! He didn't change anything, but he did get his daughter who has been taken 16 years earlier, it turned out it was only ever he himself who had done it. Gotta love(hate) a time paradox 😬

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:46 May 06, 2023

🙏 thanks for clearing that up for me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.