3 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

For as long as Rusty could remember, Trigger was always around. Trigger was a yellow Labrador retriever that Rusty's parents had since before he was born.

Rusty would play everyday with his best buddy. When he was a toddler, his parents told him that Trigger would follow him around their small suburban yard. They didn't have fences but Trigger knew the yard and would make sure Rusty never went beyond the property line. He would gently nudge Rusty back if he went too far.

As Rusty grew older and went to school he would spend the afternoon with his dog. He would get off the bus at the end of the day and race around the house to find Trigger. He would always be laying in the shade of a maple tree, enjoying the fresh air. Or in the winter he'd still be hiding under the tree in the snow forts Rusty would make there.

One day when Rusty reached the 3rd grade, Trigger's health, now 10 years old, started to deteriorate. He would spend most of his days now lying under the maple tree and would refuse to eat. When Rusty came home he would give Trigger a pet on his golden-coloured head, and he'd wag his tail. But he would not join Rusty in a game of fetch.

"What's wrong with Trigger, mom?"

"He's become an old dog, Rusty. Trigger has some joint issues and he may have cancer as well. Your dad will be taking him to the veterinarian tomorrow for a check-up."

The following day after the vet visit, it was confirmed that Trigger had cancer. He was also losing weight and there was no course of action.

"It may not be much longer for Trigger, Rusty," his dad admitted. "Maybe a few more weeks."

Rusty was devastated. His best friend was dying and there was nothing he could do. To make it worse, he'd be celebrating his birthday in a few days.

Not knowing the best way to help Rusty with his grief, his parents decided to get him a new dog for his birthday. There was a 1 year old male border collie at the local animal shelter that was looking for a home. 

On the day of his birthday, Rusty's friends tried to cheer him up. He'd not been himself at school and now they could see why. 

All of his friend's condolences felt hollow; "it'll be ok," "you can come play with my dog," "your hurt will pass." But Rusty didn't feel ok. And at the moment he didn't want to be ok.

Throughout the party, Trigger continued to lay under his favorite maple tree and once his friends left, Rusty went out to join his buddy. The dog, recognizing his friend, wagged his tail but never moved from his spot.

His parents thought this would be the time to introduce Max, the border collie from the shelter.

"Rusty," his mom said gently. "We'd like to introduce you to someone." 

While Rusty sat under the tree with Trigger, his dad walked a black and white dog around from the front of the house.

"This is Max," his dad introduced.

"What is this? Are you trying to replace Trigger?" Rusty enthusiastically hugged his best friend. "You can't! I won't go near that dog!" 

Rusty rushed into the house to his room and slammed the door.

With no one to pay attention to him, Max was having troubles adjusting to his new home and often got in trouble. He'd chew on shoes and other objects around the house. Rusty's parents would ask him to take Max for a walk but he would instead just go to his room and close the door.

After a while, his parents just put Max outside because they couldn't allow him to keep misbehaving. That's when something interesting happened.

Trigger continued to spend most of his days under the maple in the yard. On this day he lay under the tree when Max walked up to him. They sniffed each other and Max tried to play with Trigger, but instead he stayed under the tree. Soon Max began to wander around the yard looking for something to entertain him, when he started to stray past the property line.

There was a sharp bark and Max stopped where he was and turned to Trigger. Max again started to wander and again Trigger barked. Then he got up from under the tree and began following the younger dog around the yard. He would bark authoritatively each time Max would stray beyond the yard, teaching the young dog how far to go, not unlike when Rusty was a toddler.

Rusty's parents watched from the kitchen window amazed. They tried to get Rusty's attention but he was not interested. 

The following day after coming home from school, Rusty made his way to the backyard to say hello to Trigger, but he wasn't under the tree. Instead he and Max were wandering the yard together. Trigger was wagging his tail and seemed to have more energy.

"He's been eating and drinking more today," his mom reported. She was weeding in the garden while the dogs spent time together. "Having Max around is helping Trigger feel needed."

Her words cut Rusty to the heart. He realized how terrible he'd been. Max just wanted a friend and being a dog, he only hoped to please his owners. To be loyal. Instead, Rusty ignored him because he felt sorry for himself.

But while feeling sorry for himself, he also ignored his best friend Trigger during these last days of his life.

"I'm sorry mom," Rusty said teary eyed as he walked to his mom and embraced her.

"This is your first real loss, sweety. It's ok to be upset and angry."

Rusty then made his way to his dogs and pet the old familiar golden fur, "love you, Trigger." He scratched the border collie's ears, "hello Max."

Then he picked up a stick from under the maple tree and got Max's attention.

"You want the stick boy?" Rusty threw the stick for his new friend, Max, who seemed to have no end to his energy and faithfully returned the stick every time.

It was a rainy day; the first rainy day of Autumn. Trigger passed away in the night in the family home while Max slept nearby.

Rusty felt like he would cry forever. He sat on the living room couch for most of the day and refused to eat. Max lay his head on Rusty's lap and tried to console him. This time, Rusty let himself be consoled. He pet the black and white muzzle of his newest friend.

The next day the rain stopped. Rusty and his parents had Trigger cremated and afterward dug a hole under the maple tree where they buried his ashes.

For the following few days, Max lay under the tree and lacked his usual energy.

"Dad, I feel bad for Max."

"Well Rusty, Max has lost a friend too. Maybe this is your chance to console him."

As Rusty made his way out into the yard and up to the maple tree, Max's tail started to wag. Then he lifted his head and perked his ears.

"I miss him too," Rusty said as he sat down next to Max. They sat quietly for a while together with Rusty's arm wrapped around his new friend.

"Go for a walk?"

Max barked in affirmation and excitedly jumped back and forth. They made their way around the house and to the street and enjoyed the first of many walks together. 

September 15, 2022 22:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

J.M. De Jong
03:57 Sep 18, 2022

I really like your title! And that was a sweet story :) The faithfulness of dogs is such a blessing.

Reply

Daniel E Gagné
11:57 Sep 18, 2022

Thank you! I wrote a story similar to this in a creative writing class long ago. In the original ending, the younger dog was more depressed and the family bought a 3rd dog. Max then took on the mentor role and taught the new dog like Trigger did for him. This ending I've included feels more complete with a stronger connection between Rusty and his new dog in the end.

Reply

J.M. De Jong
19:57 Sep 18, 2022

Awe yes, so so sweet! How you pulled it together in the end was very touching :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.