0 comments

Friendship

A crash. That was all it took for Maisie’s life to completely flip around. Everything had seemed to move in slow motion as her mother’s priceless Ming vase tumbled to the floor and shattered to bits. There was not a sound in the house except for the deafening shattering of that vase. Any other vase breaking would warrant an immediate apology, but would ultimately be swept up and forgotten about. This vase was different. Maisie knew her mother would kill her if she came home to see her most prized possession in ruins. Alex on the other hand seemed indifferent which astounded Maisie. Especially since she had been the one to send the vase to the ground. Maisie blinked and stared at Alex who stared back calmly.

“Do you even realize what you just broke?” Maisie screeched incredulously. Alex furrowed her brows.

“A vase?” Alex walked over and grabbed a broom. Her calmness only served to cause more anxiety for Maisie.

“Do not sweep that up.”

“What? But it’s dangerous to have shards of stuff on the ground!” Alex spluttered. A look from Maisie silenced her. Pulling out her phone, tears started to creep into the corners of Maisie’s eyes.

“Wait,” Alex said, taking Maisie’s phone, “What’s so special about this vase? It’s kinda ugly…” Maisie glared, starting to get annoyed at Alex’s lack of understanding.

“It’s been in the family for generations. It is literally priceless. You can’t find a replacement!”

“Whoa… okay, I understand that you’re upset---“

“No, you don’t. I’m going to be dead in a matter of hours.” Alex glared at Maisie while she interrupted.

“You’re really pessimistic, you know that, right?” Alex grinned as Maisie’s frown deepened.

“Ha ha.” The tears that had gathered in her eyes quickly dispersed as she glared at Alex. Her calmness was getting to be absolutely infuriating.

“I have the answer to absolutely all of your problems, my wonderful friend.” Alex said.

“Currently, you’re the one that’s causing all my problems, my wonderful friend,” Sarcasm dripped from Maisie’s voice, “Now, quiet. I’m gonna tell my mom what happened.”

“Oh sweet, naïve Maisie Daisy! That is definitely not the solution to all of your problems.” Alex laughed as Maisie smiled slightly at the nickname.

“Then, pray tell, what is your magical answer to all my problems?”

“Lying.” Alex said the word like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Maisie’s frown quickly returned making Alex frown too.

“Alex.”

“Yes?”

“Lying is bad.”

“In certain situations.”

“No. In all situations.”

“Would you rather be grounded for the rest of your life?” Alex grinned. She had struck a nerve. Maisie looked as though she was arguing with herself, a variety of expressions whizzing across her face.

“I can’t, Alex…”

“That’s an excuse. I thought you didn’t believe in excuses. Give me one actual reason.” Maisie stared at the vase’s shattered remains, looked up at Alex, and finally her phone. Her mom’s face appeared on the screen as her phone began to ring.

“Alex, Alex! She’s calling!” Maisie shrieked. She threw her phone across the room onto the couch.

“Pick it up! She’ll think something’s wrong!”

“Something is wrong!” Alex grabbed Maisie’s phone, answered the call, and threw it back at her.

“Hi, mom!” Maisie said, voice wavering slightly.

“Are you okay, baby?” Her mom asked.

“We’re great, Mrs. Cluan!” Alex’s voice was sunny as usual. Maisie gave her a look.

“Yeah, great, mom.”

“Oh, I’m so glad! You had me worried for a second, sweetheart! Everything good over there?”

“Oh, yes!” Alex interjected sending a glare to Maisie who looked guilty.

“Mom?” Maisie asked, sucking in a breath.

“Yes, darling?” Alex’s glare hardened as she narrowed her eyes at Maisie. Maisie glared back.

“Dear?” Mrs. Cluan seemed confused. Maisie opened her mouth, but Alex’s hand quickly muffled her.

“Maisie just wanted you to know how much she loves you!” Alex grinned as Maisie struggled, elbowing Alex.

“Aww, that’s sweet! I love you too, honey. I’ve gotta go now, but I’ll be home in ten minutes! Bye!” A click signified that Mrs. Cluan had hung up and Alex finally let Maisie know.

“C’mon, quick! Let’s sweep this up and dump it in the trash.”

“I’m going to die!” Maisie sobbed, tears finally falling. She walked over and collapsed on the couch, sobbing into a pillow.

“Oh, c’mere! She isn’t going to notice!” Alex tried desperately to comfort the girl before finally giving up and sweeping up the vase fragments. She dumped them in a trash bag and quickly deposited them into the trash can outside.

“See! It’s all gone! You’re fine!” Alex smiled. Maisie let out a long groan while Alex stared at her.

“I’m going to die and it’s all your fault!” Maisie whined as Alex rolled her over.

“Get up. You need to get a hold of yourself before your mom comes home.”

“Nooooo!” Maisie hissed until she heard a key turning in the lock. She bolted up at an inhuman speed and rushed to the bathroom, leaving Alex to gape.

“I’m home, girls!” Mrs. Cluan announced as Alex dashed to stand in front of where the vase once was.

“Amazing!” Alex’s smile tightened as Mrs. Cluan looked at her curiously.

“Why’re you just standing there, Alexandra? I thought you were with Maisie.”

“Oh, yeah! She’s just using the bathroom, so I’m just waiting here for her!” Alex’s easy grin convinced Maisie’s mother and she just shook her head.

“Silly girls.” She muttered. Alex let out a long breath as Maisie’s mom made her way to the kitchen. Maisie came down the hallway looking semi-normal.

“Hey, Maisie!” Alex tilted her head. Nodding, Maisie came over and stood by her, plastering a smile onto her face.

“There’s my darling daughter! Say, my love, why’s your face so red?” Maisie and Alex looked at each other and both started talking at the same time.

“Allergies!”

“It’s too hot!”

“Alex, please refrain from answering for her. I could barely hear her response.”

“Oh, it’s just allergies, mom.” Maisie’s smile widened, hoping her mom would drop it.

“Why’re you two standing in front of that specific corner? Isn’t that where we kept the family heirloom?”

“Oh, yeah, mom. We were just…” Maisie trailed off and stared at Alex helplessly.

“Admiring the craftsmanship of the vase!” Alex exclaimed. Mrs. Cluan made her way over to the girls smiling.

“It is an exquisite vase! It’s been in my husband’s family for seven generations! Move over, girls, and I’ll tell you a bit about it.” The girls moved aside helplessly to reveal the empty space.

“I’m so sorry, mom! We broke it earlier today and swept it up. I tried to tell you earlier, but I just couldn’t! Please don’t be mad!” Maisie pleaded. Her mom was stoic, a cold expression on her face. She scanned both of the girls slowly before breaking into a grin.

“Oh, girls!” Mrs. Cluan started guffawing as the girls stared at her. Alex started chuckling nervously while Maisie looked as though she was about to have a heart attack.

“I never liked that vase! It was so ugly and it took up so much space on that table! You girls did me a favor! I never had the nerve to break it or get rid of it myself!”

“So you aren’t mad?” Maisie asked, completely perplexed.

“No, no. I’ll cover for you two. Go ahead and head out for ice cream.” Mrs. Cluan laughed, shooing them away.

December 03, 2020 23:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.