Broken Gloves

Written in response to: Write about a moment of defeat.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Drama

Ricky "Iron Fist" Donovan staggered into the locker room, his chastened muscles protesting with every step and his heavy breathing marked by grunts of frustration. The door closed with a slam, cutting off the roar of the crowd, but not enough to silence the storm of anger and disappointment that raged through his chest, pulsing in tune with the throbbing veins in his temple.

"Ricky." His trainer's voice broke through the oppressive silence, tense as a taut wire. "We need to talk."

The boxer slowly turned around. Every movement mirrored that of the defeat that bowed his shoulders. He had worked his whole life for that victory, visualizing the moment when he would raise the champion's trophy, but now he was just a shadow of the once invincible man, reduced to a shattered husk.

"Not now, Bobby, please." His exhausted body barely obeyed. Staring at the ground, he shook his head. "Leave me alone." But he didn't back down. After decades of guiding promising young men, he knew how to recognize when a man was on the brink. And Ricky was dangerously close to falling.

"It's got to be now, kid. The fight commissioners found an illicit substance in your tox screen."Ricky felt his blood freeze in his veins."What? That's impossible. I've never..." Bobby interrupted him, apprehension etched into the deep lines of his tired, aged face. "Stimulants. They found traces in your system."

The world seemed to shudder and tilt around Bobby and the walls of the locker room closed in on him like the bars of a prison cell. This couldn't be happening to him. Throughout his meteoric rise through the ranks, Ricky prided himself on never having touched illicit substances. He had always followed the path of honest competition, seeing doping as a repugnant stain on the sport he loved. And yet...

"I don't... I don't know how this happened," he stammered, desperately searching his memory for some explanation. But there was nothing, just the certainty that his reputation - no, his very identity - was about to be shattered.

Beside him, Coach sighed, a regretful sound that made Rick flinch even through the haze of confusion and terror. "I know," said the coach.

"What do you mean?"

Unable to face his athlete's accusing gaze, Bobby looked away. "Because I put them there."

The air seemed to solidify in Ricky's lungs. Surely, he had misheard. Because the alternative was unthinkable... That man had been his haven, his moral compass in a world defined by violence. "What are you saying?" His voice was just a whisper.

"You were so down... tired, distracted, like you'd lost your fire." Bobby finally met the athlete's eyes. "I drugged you. I mixed amphetamines into your supplements. I should have anticipated that they would test you in a final, but I just wanted..."

"You just wanted me to win?" Bitterness dripped from Ricky's every word. He felt like a fool. Bobby, of all people, should have known how victory only meant anything if it was achieved cleanly. He had taught him that, among many other lessons about honor and integrity, during endless hours where he had learned to fight not only with his fists, but also with his heart.

"The pressure to keep your winning streak going was so high... I thought it would just be one last push. Just this one win and you'd become world champion. Forgive me. I thought I was helping you. I was wrong. "

Ricky recoiled, as if struck by a physical blow. "Helping!?" His voice rose, bouncing off the walls, each syllable sharp as shards of glass. "I lost the fight anyway. And this doping charge will be the end of me. You've destroyed me. You ruined everything I fought for, everything I was." Because now he could see, with sudden and terrible clarity, the implications that extended far beyond his career. His entire life had been built on boxing, every dream and ambition linked inextricably with his identity as a fighter. Without that, what was left? Who was he, if not Ricky "Iron Fist" Donovan, the boy wonder from the streets who had overcome all odds to become a titan of the ring?

Faced with the intensity of those words, the trainer staggered backwards, but then stepped forward and held out his hand in an appeasing gesture. "Please," he begged, "let me explain..."

His plea was lost, drowned out by the storm roaring inside Ricky. Anger grew in him like a black wave, threatening to engulf everything in its path. He clenched his fists so hard that he felt his nails pierce the calloused flesh of his palms, Pain. Pain was good. Pain was something he could understand, something he could concentrate on beyond the tearing agony of betrayal.

"Ricky... listen to me!"

But he wasn't listening anymore. His rage was fueled by years of shattered trust and broken dreams. Before he realized what he was doing, he launched himself forward, throwing him against the wall with brutal force. "How could you?" He growled. His forearm pressed down on Bobby's throat. "I trusted you. I believed in you."

The coach choked, trying to free himself from the grip, as his face turned redder and redder. Ricky exerted even more pressure, watching with grim satisfaction the panic and fear in the coach's eyes. It would be so easy. So fair. Just a little more pressure and everything would simply disappear...

In that moment of blind rage, he was assaulted by a distant memory. Huddled in a corner, with his hands over his ears, he tries to create a barrier between himself and the sounds of the neighborhood that form a symphony of chaos and violence - screams, broken glass and the occasional gunshot. Suddenly, the door opens, and the father appears. He can smell the acrid breath of cheap alcohol. "Where are you, you good-for-nothing?" he snarls, his eyes clouded with fury and drunkenness. He trembles with fear and anger. He thinks about confronting him. He hates him, but he hates himself even more for not being able to stand up to him. He's too small. His father finds him and drags him away by his feet. "Do you think you can hide from me, boy? You think you can run away?" A punch to the stomach robs all the air from his lungs He bends over, panting, tears streaming down his face. "Please... No! Stop..." But there is no trace of pity in his father's eyes. Only a blind rage, born of despair and the poverty of a life spent on the edge of the abyss. It's Bobby who saves him. He finds him wandering the streets, his face smeared with blood and his nose broken. He takes him to the Iron Fist Boxing Gym. He treats his wounds and offers him a place to stay. A few days later, he puts a pair of worn-out boxing gloves on his trembling child's hands and patiently teaches him how to channel pain and fear, transforming them into brute strength, blow after blow, until he reveals a hitherto unknown inner fortitude

His gaze suddenly focused, the fog of memories dissipating before the harsh reality of the present. Something shattered inside him as the realization of what he had almost done struck him like a bolt of lightning, making him nauseous with the dark implication of his actions. He let go of Bobby and dropped to his knees on the floor. That was his protector. A steadfast mentor and a friend of decades. He had rescued him from the depths of despair and shown him a way out of the powerlessness that had defined his childhood. Under his tutelage, the ragged, malnourished boy evolved into a respected and admired fighter who electrified crowds every time he applied his left hook, so fast and devastating that it knocked his opponents unconscious even before they landed on the canvas. It had given him something to believe in - himself and his potential to be more than just an angry kid from the streets. He had believed in himself when no one else had dared to and seen potential where others saw a hopeless case. And now this betrayal, after everything they'd been through together...

Ricky "Iron Fist" Donovan was Bobby's creation - a character carefully crafted to captivate crowds and terrify opponents through a revolutionary fighting style and a magnetizing presence in the ring. But underneath this façade, burned an inordinate ambition that was entirely Ricky's responsibility. It was he who pushed himself relentlessly forward, testing the limits of his body and Bobby's patience, always with his eyes set on the ultimate prize: becoming the youngest ever winner of the World Boxing Association's welterweight world title. That dream had consumed him, becoming the driving force behind every punch, every drop of sweat poured out during grueling training sessions. And, for a while, it seemed that nothing would be able to stand in his way. He had climbed meteorically up the leaderboard, slaughtering his opponents with an ease that bordered on condescension, as if his victories were an inevitable outcome in the face of his incomparable mastery.

Blinded by his invincibility, Ricky had lost his way. He had ignored all of Bobby's advice, dispensing with the wisdom that had guided his rise. Convinced of his superiority, he neglected proper rest, wasting nights at frivolous parties and drinking to excess. His workouts became increasingly erratic, and he neglected his diet, but he had never consumed stimulants. He now realized that Bobby hadn't been able to stop his downward spiral of self-indulgence. He had been so close, just one victory away from achieving the glory he had fought so hard for. But at the crucial moment, he had failed. He had underestimated his opponent. He had entered the ring expecting another easy victory, oblivious to the fact that his opponent had studied him thoroughly and exploited all his weaknesses. And just as his father had succumbed to the siren song of the bottle, losing himself in a fog of alcohol and self-pity, so Ricky had given in to the seductions of his own ego. He had allowed himself to be blinded by the brilliance of his own potential, until harsh reality had brought him down to earth in the most brutal way possible.

Even though the betrayal was eating away at him like a poison seeping through his veins, contaminating every thought and emotion until nothing remained but a hollow shell of mistrust and bitterness, he couldn't ignore the fact that Bobby too had risked everything to protect him from his own arrogance. The silence hung heavy in the locker room, interrupted only by the distant hum of the crowd intoxicated by this unexpected victory. Ricky looked at Bobby, his eyes roaming over the wrinkled, tired face of the man who had been his only constant in a world of chaos and uncertainty.

"Why did you risk everything for me?" The question came out as a hoarse whisper.

The coach sighed, carrying in that sound the weight of countless sleepless nights and difficult decisions. He reached out again and laid his hand on Ricky's shoulder with the tenderness of someone consoling a child. "Because I love you. Since the day you came into my life, everything I've done... It was to see you triumph."

Ricky felt a lump form in his throat. He looked down, suddenly unable to face the raw honesty in Bobby's gaze. "But... The doping. The lying. How can we recover from this?" His voice wavered, doubt and pain threatening to shatter his already fragile composure.

"Look at me."

Reluctantly, the athlete looked up, meeting his mentor's eyes. What he saw there made his heart skip a beat - not pity or condemnation, but a fierce, burning faith.

"I've already lost one son. I'm not going to lose another. We'll get through this the same way we've gotten through every obstacle so far," he said, his voice vibrating with conviction. "Together. Through hard work, honesty and trust in each other."

Ricky swallowed, the small flame of hope in his chest coming alive at Bobby's words. "But... What if it's not enough? What if we've destroyed everything we've worked for?"

Bobby shook his head, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "We both screwed up, but we're not going to make the same mistakes. You're Ricky 'Iron Fist' Donovan, a fighter to the core of your being. And fighters... they don't give up. Never."

Something inside Ricky collapsed at those words, a barrage of emotion that he had been holding back for far too long. He fell forward, burying his face in Bobby's shoulder as silent sobs shook his body. "Forgive me too. I didn't listen to you..." he choked out; the words muffled against the fabric of his mentor's shirt. "

"Shhh." He murmured, his voice a soft hum of comfort as he petted his head. "It's all right, son. I'm here. I'll always be here." They stayed like that for a long moment, clinging to each other amidst the wreckage of two shattered worlds. And slowly, almost imperceptibly at first, Ricky felt something shift inside him. It was as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, a suffocating darkness dissipating in the light of acceptance and forgiveness. Because there, in the arms of the man who had been more of a father to him than his own blood... Ricky found something he had been looking for all his life. Peace. Purpose. A sense of belonging so deep that it permeated the very essence of his being. Finally, reluctantly, he pulled away from the embrace. He looked at his mentor - no, his father - with eyes that shone with new resolve.

"So... what do we do now?" He asked, his voice still hoarse with emotion, but unwavering in his determination.

Bobby smiled, pride and love radiant on his weathered face. "Now," he said, reaching out to shake Ricky's hand, "we rebuild. Stone by stone, round by round. Until we're at the top again... where we belong."

The boxer nodded, his mind already racing with possibilities, with plans and dreams for the future. He knew the road ahead would be difficult, perhaps the hardest he had ever faced. But with Bobby by his side, he felt ready to face whatever came his way. Because together, they were more than coach and student, even more than father and son. They were a force of nature, unstoppable and unbreakable. And neither defeat, nor scandal, nor even the combined weight of their mistakes could stop them.

June 28, 2024 14:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.