17 comments

Holiday Christmas Suspense

As my eyes gazed away from the gorgeous residence that was two houses away from ours, I started to think. Should I be feeling sadness or anger? I did not know. It was only a matter of time before my mom, my big sister, her daughters, and her husband would arrive. We would then start baking the dough for chocolate chip cookies. Next, we would go out and pick a tree for the living room. And eventually, we would put on a Christmas movie and watch it while eating the cookies and drinking hot chocolate, with a lot of those little marshmallows that we would find at the Casino down the way. They were so tasty. But this year, it was different. I was tired of pretending to be happy during Christmas. We all were. Since Papa died... Ten years ago.

Before he died, each year, we would all go to the main market on Christmas Night to see the ornaments and lights and presents and taste the meals. And of course, like every family, we had a tradition. We called it the Lights. I know, I know, original name, right? Well, it is because we were debating over a cool name to call it. Maman proposed it, and we all approved. It significates the light and hope that Christmas gives to everyone. We would go to a restaurant called the Heart of the Cauliflower. It was a beautiful restaurant, always decorated for the right period of the year. At Christmas time, for example, we could decorate the tree and add the little presents we had. It was the most heartwarming place we had ever seen. Papa would always take the same meal. A caesar salad, with a grilled steak and a cup of rose wine. But the special thing about this restaurant was that there was a photobooth. To use it, we had to pay two dollars, and we could take as many photos as we wanted. We could add a background, a frame, writings… So, every time we would go to the Heart of the Cauliflower, we would all go to the photo booth together and take lots of pictures of everyone and the family. After, we would add them to one of maman’s photo portfolios and all sign the photos. It was such a happy family tradition. But it was also the very restaurant where Papa had asked Maman with the most sumptuous ring encrusted with a big red ruby, to marry him. And, of course, she said yes.

But since Papa died, we never went again, because it made maman too sad to think about it. We were devastated. He died on the night of the 24th to the 25th of December. A heart attack. Since then, each morning, we would go to his tomb and simply put a bouquet of Abelias, his favorite flowers. I always knew that they were his favorites because it is also maman's name; Abelia. To him, she was the prettiest of flowers. Always beautiful and shining. But this year, it would be different. I wanted to do more. I wanted to overcome this family tradition, which only came with grief and regret. This year would be the first time where we would change. My only wish for Christmas was to have him back. But I knew I could not, so I am only going to ask Maman one thing, one and only… I am going to ask her to take us to the Heart of the Cauliflower. The only place where I could be happy again. Of course, I did not know what her reaction maybe, but at least, I would have tried.

Soon, she arrived with Ella, my big sister.

"Hey Mom, Hey everyone! How was your day?

-Well great darling, and you! She responded

-Great! I said

-So, are we gonna bake those cookies or not?

-Yeah! We screamed.

-Mom, I tried, can I tell you already what I want for Christmas this year?

-Well sure, my dear. What are you going to ask Santa this year?

-Oh, I can not ask that to Santa. He can't do it! 

-Then who can, if not him?

-You!

-Okay... What is it?

-It is very simple, you see, I only want you to take us to The Heart of the Cauliflower tonight. Could you do that for me?

-Oh, Melody, I am so proud of you. Of course, I'll take you! I thought you would never ask, she cried.

I could not believe she actually said yes. I was so relieved. I was so glad that it made her happy. So, we got out of the house, and climbed in her car, the gray Volkswagen Beetle, and headed out of the driveway.

When we arrived, the restaurant was still there, waiting, as it had for the last fifteen years of our absence. We got out of the car, and there it was, the very place where our family truly began. The place of the beginning of new love, a new family. A new life. Us! And therefore, we went for the door, leaving all our sorrow and grief behind us. We were turning the page, commencing a new chapter of our tale, a sparkling one, a story bursting with happiness. Would we ever get a happy ending? None of us knew. But, what we did know was that this night was going to be the breaking of a long-lasting tradition that had to be stopped. At the door, a waiter was there.

He took our coats and bonnets while we went to sit at a table. A server reached to us and gave us our menus. I stared down at the cards, and there it was, still on it. I did not hesitate a second. I took a caesar salad with a grilled steak and a cup of rose wine. From that day on, every year, at Christmas, we would not celebrate it with a grudge over us.

That is the cue to when our story truly began.

November 27, 2020 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Aman Fatima
07:27 Jan 25, 2021

Its really a touching story. Amazing!!!!

Reply

18:21 Jan 25, 2021

you very much !!! Do you have any remarks on how I can improve myself and my writing ??

Reply

Aman Fatima
06:00 Jan 26, 2021

Your descriptions are good and so are your dialogues. But maybe a little more balance between them. Spread out the dialogues so that they are not clustered in one place. other than that I think your writing is great.

Reply

20:04 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks, I appreciate !!

Reply

Aman Fatima
06:00 Feb 04, 2021

your welcome!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:04 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:04 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 10 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:36 Nov 30, 2020

Wow, amazing story, love the characters darling chaton!!!

Reply

17:07 Nov 30, 2020

well thank you very much.

Reply

16:31 Dec 02, 2020

You are very welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.