8 comments

Fantasy Bedtime Fiction

“What is that girl doing here?”

“Shhh! She might hear you!”

“Don’t shhh me! It is impossible for humans to hear or see us unless we want them to.”

“Nothing is impossible, Edwina. This is the enchanted side of the forest that no human can find, and look, she’s walking in it.”

“Hello? Is anyone here? My name is Maggie, and I’m lost…. hello?”

“Maggie, what a lovely name. She’s a pretty little thing, and she looks familiar. If she’s lost, we need to help her find her way out of the forest, especially before dark. Let’s make ourselves known to her.”

“No!”

“And why not?”

“You know perfectly well, why not! Whenever we encounter a human anywhere, you always want to get friendly and chat and let them know everything about us. Half the time, they think you are just a crazy old bat!”

“Yes, but I always erase their memory of our meeting before I leave them. I love chatting with humans to see what is happening in their world. Such complicated creatures. Anyway, we can’t just leave her here.”

“She’ll eventually find her way out. Maybe you can leave her some breadcrumbs to follow.”

You know, you’re not funny.”

“Hello? Is someone here?”

“I will not let this poor young lady keep yelling for help when I know no one will come to her rescue. If we leave her and night falls, there are the trolls to deal with. Arghh… they are such ghoulish creatures, enough to scare anybody. No, we must help her, and if you want to stay invisible, that’s fine with me. You don’t have to show yourself, but I’m going to.” 

“Fiona, if you insist upon being visible and helping her, then at least hide your wings and become human size.”

“Yes, that might be a good idea. Thank you, Edwina. Ahhhh… now that’s better.”

“Fiona, what is that rag around your neck?”

“It’s called a scarf; humans wear them all the time. I just want to be relatable. I don’t need a critique from you; either stay invisible or move along. I’m going to let her see me now.”

“Humph!”

“Hello? Anybody?”

“Hello dear. Are you lost?”

“Huh? Oh hi! I thought I heard voices but didn’t see you standing there. Anyway, I sure am happy to see you. I was following this extraordinary blue butterfly, forgot which direction I came from, and got lost. Can you point me toward getting out of the forest?”

“Of course, dear girl!”

“That’s a beautiful scarf you’re wearing.”

“Why, thank you for noticing.”

“It’s so ……colorful.”

“Yes, isn’t it? Now, where exactly do you live?”

“I’m staying with my uncle for the summer at Yorkshire Manor off Pivey Road.”

“Yorkshire Manor? Arthur Matheson is your uncle?

“Yes, you know him?”

“I’ve heard of him. He’s a professor at York College. I’m surprised your uncle allowed you to venture off to the forest alone.”

“Well, he doesn’t know I’m here and warned me never to enter the forest. But, he never said why and curiosity got the better of me.”

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

“Excuse me? Oh, hello, I didn’t see you either. Were you standing there all along?” 

“Of course, I’ve been standing here all along! Are you nearsighted?”

“Please excuse my sister’s manners. My name is Fiona, and this is my sister Edwina. She is not used to interacting with……..people. What’s your name, dear?”

“Magalyn Matheson, but everyone calls me Maggie.”

“What a lovely name. Nice to meet you, Maggie.”

“Nice to meet you. The forest is so beautiful, peaceful, and serene. I don’t understand why my uncle doesn’t want me here.”

“It’s because humans are not welcomed on this side of the forest.”

“Edwina! Good gracious, don’t be so rude. We are good fairies of the glen, and behavior like that is the character of a troll.”

“You are fairies?” 

“Well, now you have let the cat out of the bag, Fiona! You’re lucky Sirus isn’t here; he would be upset with you again.”

“We are both lucky as he would not like you saying humans are not welco……”

“What is going on here?”

“Sirus! We were just about to call out to you.”

“I doubt that. Good Lord, what is this human being doing by herself on this side of the forest?”

“Are you a fairy too?”

“Fairy? Did she just ask me if I was a fairy? What is going on here? Fiona? Edwina?”

“Maggie, here, got lost, and we were helping her to find her way out of the forest safely.”

“And you helped her by telling her you were fairies?”

“Not me, Sirus, loose lips here, did.” 

“She’s the niece of Arthur Matheson.”

“Arthur would never let his niece come into the forest.”

“He doesn’t know.”

“She cannot be here. Who brought her here?”

“Don’t look at us. She found her way here all on her own.”

“Humph...Well, transport her back now, and remember, THIS WAS ALL A DREAM! Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Sirus. Edwina and I are on it.”

“Whoa…..Who is that guy? And, how did he just disappear into thin air?”

“Never mind, dear. Edwina and I will guide you back to your uncle’s home.”

“Why is grumpy pants upset that I’m in the forest?”

“He is head of the fairy council, a very prestigious but stressful position, and no humans are allowed in the enchanted side of the forest.”

“Fiona!”

“What difference does it make? She won’t remember a thing, which I think is unfair. I mean, she should know about her heritage.”

“You know I’m standing right here, and I can hear you. And, what do you mean I should know about my heritage?”

“Maggie dear, you are part Fae.”

“You have gone too far this time, Fiona!”

“Fae? What’s a Fae?”

“You have fairy blood. Your great-grandmother was Sorrel Astor of Thistle, one of the most powerful fairies of her time. She ran away with a human and gave birth to your grandmother Ella. But tragedy hit, and Sorrel and her human husband were killed, leaving Ella to be raised by her human grandparents. So, the secret was buried with the understanding that Ella and any of her decedents should never know their lineage to the Fae world. Is your grandmother Ella still alive?”

“No. She passed away before I was born. But I don’t understand why I can’t know my lineage?”

“If humans were to discover that the fairy realm is real, their greed for riches and power could destroy us, so it should remain in fairytales.” 

“Does my uncle know?”

“Of course he does. Being a professor of folklore at a prestigious college, he understands the chaos that would follow if the Fae world was discovered. Ella was your father and uncle’s mother, and both want it to remain folklore and fairytales.”

“That’s not fair. Shouldn’t I have the right to choose to know about my lineage?”

“You should, but you don’t. Enough of this storytelling, Fiona! Let’s get her back to her uncle’s home now!”

“I’ll just ask my uncle then.”

“See, that’s exactly what Sirus did not want!”

“Dear Maggie, take this special tiger lily and keep it as a memento of your time here in the enchanted side of the forest.”

“That’s very kind of you, Fiona. Thank you.”

“No! No mementos!”

“Don’t listen to Edwina. Take a sniff of the beautiful fragrance like no other.”

“Oh my, that smells amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever smelt anything so beautiful. But I won’t forget, and I will ask my uncle more questions. I..…..ahhhh-hhaaaaaa…Gosh, sorry, I didn’t mean to yawn in your face. All of a sudden, I feel very tired. Would you mind if I took a short nap before we left? I can barely keep my eyes op…en…….”

“Of course, Maggie, we don’t mind at all. Sweet dreams dear………….”

February 20, 2023 05:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Pearl D
07:47 Mar 05, 2023

Loved this sweet story! Very funny too! “What’s that rag around your neck?” I really didn’t want the story to end!

Reply

Kathleen Shapona
21:19 Mar 05, 2023

Thank you Pearl!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathy Trevelyan
14:09 Feb 27, 2023

I really enjoyed this. It was clear who was speaking and flowed really well. Poor Maggie, never to know her heritage!

Reply

Kathleen Shapona
19:10 Feb 27, 2023

Thank you Kathy! I enjoyed writing it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danielle Shapona
03:13 Feb 22, 2023

A Great feel good Bedtime Story! Also, had some sweet humor…I imagined them talking and what they might have looked like. Wonderful Creativity!! 💜

Reply

Kathleen Shapona
19:10 Feb 22, 2023

Thank you Danielle! xx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Redwing Keyssar
02:45 Feb 22, 2023

What a fun story for grown-ups and kids alike! amazing to hear a story that is dialogue only. I suggest reading it out loud and dramatizing the parts. That way it is both a play and a short story. I felt myself there in the forest with the faeries and wishing for a magic spell. Thank you to Kathleen Shapona for writing this!

Reply

Kathleen Shapona
02:58 Feb 22, 2023

You are very welcome, and thank you for your kind encouraging words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.